• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blazer3664
    350 Buick
    • Mar 08, 2009

info on bobing rear of wag/cherokee?

Been looking for a write up on bobing the rear of an SUV.
    My stupid search thing must be broke, cause I can't find ANYTHING.
    Nothing on doing a Wag/Cherokee, K5, Bronk, or Scout.

I could have sworn I had seen stuff about this before on the interweb.

Am I the only one thinking our (full bodied) rigs have a big butt hanging out back?
    Sometime after I get it on the road, I plan on chopping the rear off right behind the shackles. I measured things a while back, and was thinking I could bring the tailgate section forward around 9".
    Dont sound like much, till you figure out departure angles with your back bumper 9" closer to the tires.

If anybody knows where to find a article about this type of thing, let me know.

Thanks,

Jim
    modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
    LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
    SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
    H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
    custom shackle flip
    W/F150 springs
    -----Coming Soon-----
    snorkels,
    OX'd D60/14B-FF
  • Michael
    AMC 4 OH! 1

• Sep 11, 2001

I did that on my wag years ago, many members have done it. Refine your search, someone must have written up on it.
    1994 YJ
    Amc 360
    TF727
    Stak 3 speed
    44" Pitbull Rockers on Trailworthy H1's
    Rockwells

76' Wagoneer
    401....new project

Tow Rig Daily Driver// 2007 6.7 CTD Dually

Comment

• srobertsfsj
      304 AMC
      • Aug 26, 2002

Search on "dovetail rear" and lots comes up. I know its not the same but it might get you started.
      Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer Super Chief 360 / TBI / WT conversion / 35x12.5x16 BFG Mud-Terrains (Project Link)
      http://www.cfsja.org / http://www.fsjnetwork.com

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep?s temp going towards that 220F mark, I?m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Comment

• Dmntxn77
        Hey watch this...
        • Nov 19, 2004

The best one on the forum IMO...

Well, things have gotten very slow, asside from the Holidays. The little details are really taking up the fab hours. The body is all welded up finally, except for some under floor tin, and the spare tire mount is finished, after some minor design changes. The gate and hatch are back on and wired up - and it still works! It also

Well, the Lexan is in, and the shade is just about right. The seal fit great with just cutting it down. I'll glue the corner with polyurathane next. The exterior stainless trim came out better than the interior. I'll have to do some adjusting and modifying to make it look better inside, but for now it will do. The seat fits

I've had several requests for info on my rear lift hatch, so here goes. It first started with the glass being dificult and slow to raise & lower, making it hard to access the rear cargo area, especially on the trail. Then the bottom rail holding the glass rusted out and repairing it became a nuisance so, out it came. I

Comment

• cmelo
          258 I6
          • Feb 08, 2008

What about flipping the rear springs to move the wheelbase back a lot. That will improve your departure angle and all you would have to do is cut your wheel wells open. Somebody with a cherokee has done that on here very recently. Doing a bed bob on my j10 right now and I'm almost wishing I had started with a wag/cherokee so I could have not gone through all this work.
          79' J10 360/T18/D20- Locked & bobbed on 35s

Comment

• Tad
            • Nov 30, 2001

What about flipping the rear springs to move the wheelbase back a lot.
            Or go with GM 63" springs?
            Dime a dozen, punches it back 4-5" in the stock front location.
            (I'd have to look up the actual amount mine did. It's been so long when I ride in a regular non-mod FSJ, I just do not remember, but it seems like a Scout)
            You got wheel well stuff to deal with but most of us that push it back just deal with it
            2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
            EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
            Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• wbarnhill
              232 I6
              • May 16, 2011

Yea I did what cmelo is talking about. I flipped the front springs for about 2 inches of stretch and the rear for about 5 inches. This was a lot easier than going through the whole bobbing process. I ended up with around 115 inches of wheelbase and less than a foot of overhang in the back. For my needs it should be perfect. Here's a link to the thread if you want to check it out.

Not too long ago I picked up this 1976 Cherokee Chief S. This is my first FSJ, but I'm sure it won't be my last since I have already had such a blast driving it. Like I mentioned in the title I am a student, so this will definitely be a project built on a budget. With that being said if you have any parts you would like to
              1976 Cherokee Chief- AMC 360, T-18, Dana 20, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 42in. Iroks, 115 wheelbase.

Build thread- http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=148475

Full 8 pt. ROLL CAGE FOR SALE---

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=156256

Comment

• blazer3664
                350 Buick
                • Mar 08, 2009

Dmntxn77,
                Thats what I was looking for, thanks.
                I searched up, down, sideways, and backwards for something and never came across that. Knew somebody had done it.

For those who suggest moving my axles, too late.
                Front spring are spun end for end moving the front axle ~2.5 forward, and I have F150 springs w/ my modified shackle flip and different perches in back so it is ~5-5.5" back.

With my current 37" tires (plan on 38-40" when I replace them) there isnt much hanging out in front of the tires, and the bumper I have planned wont stick out hardly at all. I figure until I get some more crawling experience, if it hits I should think hard about what I am about to do.
                Rear is a different story. Still a lot of overhang back there.

My modified shackle flip out back put the shackle hangers ~9" from the rear of the frame.
                My thoughts at this point are to cut 9" out between the side glass and rear body line that slopes like the back edge of that glass. Thats gona make it a bit harder than a straight cut through the window area ( like Tinman93's) but I can keep the full side glass.

Figure I'll cut and move the body first, then patch in a box channel where the frame will be cut, then cut off behind it.
                May cut the frame a little short, and make the rear bumper tuck up under the body so it just barely sticks out.

I would love to have it where I could bump up against a wall tires first from either end, but I am not ready to give up that much of the body, yet. After I beat on it a while I may not have to worry about a body.

(sigh) OK I'll shut up now. I get soooo long winded sometimes.

Jim
                Last edited by blazer3664; 12-06-2011, 10:55 PM.
                SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                custom shackle flip
                W/F150 springs
                -----Coming Soon-----
                snorkels,
                OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• blazer3664
                  350 Buick
                  • Mar 08, 2009

The photo-chop Hammer linked in the first link Dmntxn77 listed is actualy about what I had in mind.http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/attac...0&d=1184704218

Notice where the side glass almost meets the body line I mentioned?

Add the rear axle moved back some, bigger wheel wells, and 37-40ish tires and it shouldn't drag butt anymore.

Thanks guys,

Jim
                  SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                  custom shackle flip
                  W/F150 springs
                  -----Coming Soon-----
                  snorkels,
                  OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• TAWL_BOY
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 10, 2011

That photoshopped Cherokee looked good. I think it looks better than factory that way.

Comment

I did it. Cut 10" out of the frame and body. Pretty simple to do if you're half decent at body work.
                      Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                      I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                      Originally posted by johnny019
                      I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• blazer3664
                        350 Buick
                        • Mar 08, 2009

I did it
                        Any "work in progress" pics?

Jim
                        SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                        custom shackle flip
                        W/F150 springs
                        -----Coming Soon-----
                        snorkels,
                        OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• alwomac
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 06, 2009

Tinman93 did a bob on the back of his Waggy and it is the sweetest I have ever seen. It looked factory. His Waggy was the most highly modified, stock looking rig I have ever seen. He has done a ton of custom fab on his rig to lift and tuck everything up tight but still look stock. If you aren't REALLY familiar with a Waggy you won't even notice his mods. I spent an hour talking to him about his rig one day and looking at his lift hatch in the rear and his bob work. I am sure you can find him on here. I haven't ever seen a build thread of his, but I bet he has some pictures on here somewhere. He is a great fabricator and went out of his way to let me check his Waggy out in person.
                          Aaron Womack

1978 Cherokee 360, 400/QT, HD44, Dana 60, 4.88's, locked, 36s on H1s, SOA/SF, high steer, Rancho RS5000's (14" front/11" rear travel) lots of dents

Comment

• Kris
                            350 Buick
                            • Jul 05, 2000

Heres some finished pics of TINMAN93's...

Hey gang, The Grandragon has Wood ! ! The BoB project is complete, minus some interior details. Planning on Hot Springs at the Wheeling for the Wounded Event for it's first outing.

k.
                            89 Waggy

AX-15 swap info threads...
                            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=83102
                            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=97262
                            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=104163
                            Theres more but that should get you started

Originally posted by JeepinPete
                            -If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all-

Comment

• blazer3664
                              350 Buick
                              • Mar 08, 2009

Yep, Tinman93's rig is the one Dmntxn77 linked to.

Looks good.

SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                              custom shackle flip
                              W/F150 springs
                              -----Coming Soon-----
                              snorkels,
                              OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

Working...
                              X