• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G-Wag
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 28, 2010

Manual Transmission Swap Questions

I currently have a stock 88 wagoneear and am in the process of swapping in axles from a j20 with 3.73's, a Dana 300 and will be running 33's or 35's depending on how much trimming is required with the 4" bds lift. I prefer a manual transmission so while it's all apart anyway I may as well swap the trans too. I'm leaning towards one of the manuals from behind an I6. The AX15, NV3550 or the 6-speed. All the posts I've read say you need to have the 4.0's flywheel balanced to match the 360's. Would I need to take a 360 flywheel to the shop or is there a spec they can match it to? It has also been mentioned that a spacer MAY be needed between the trans and the transfer case but I haven't seen it confirmed or denied. All input is greatly appreciated!
    '88 Wagoneer with an AMC 360, TF727

In the works: 4" BDS Lift, Dana 300, axles from a '76 J-20, Hydroboost...
  • grimgaunt
    350 Buick
    • Aug 06, 2002

I had to take both flywheels to the shop to balance the new one.

Yes, at least for jeep NP2xx transfer cases you need to have a 1/2 " spacer at minimum between the trans and the t-case (in my experience with a 219 and a 208)

Comment

• G-Wag
      230 Tornado
      • Mar 28, 2010

Since I'm going from auto to manual would they be able to use the flexplate to balance the new flywheel to or do I need to source a 360 flywheel? Can I use the pedal assembly from the donor rig (XJ,YJ, or TJ) or do I need an FSJ pedal set?
      '88 Wagoneer with an AMC 360, TF727

In the works: 4" BDS Lift, Dana 300, axles from a '76 J-20, Hydroboost...

Comment

They can use the 360 flexplate and balance the 6 cyl flywheel to match. You will need to use the 6 cyl starter too unless they are both the same style (solenoid coil on the starter).
        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• grimgaunt
          350 Buick
          • Aug 06, 2002

Find a FSJ pedal set from a manual tranny Cherokee or a J-truck and you will be set.

Comment

• jaber
            Dragin Az
            • Oct 17, 2003

Originally posted by Carnuck
            They can use the 360 flexplate and balance the 6 cyl flywheel to match. You will need to use the 6 cyl starter too unless they are both the same style (solenoid coil on the starter).
            His '88 will already have the XJ starter.
            Jeff

'43 cj2a
            '51 Willys p/u
            '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
            '68 Panel Delivery
            '74 CJ5
            '75 J-20 Wrecker
            '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
            '77 J-10 p/u
            '79 Cherokee
            '88 Grand Wagoneer
            '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
              350 Buick
              • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by grimgaunt
              I had to take both flywheels to the shop to balance the new one.

Yes, at least for jeep NP2xx transfer cases you need to have a 1/2 " spacer at minimum between the trans and the t-case (in my experience with a 219 and a 208)
              I have been planning on doing this swap for a while and I am like 89.9999 percent sure that no spacer would be needed for a NV3550 to run Np2xx from an fsj as it has a deeper tail housing than the ax15.... I mocked up a 3550 to a 208 and everything seemed to fit together

ax15 definitely needs the spacer.
              '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                350 Buick
                • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by grimgaunt
                Find a FSJ pedal set from a manual tranny Cherokee or a J-truck and you will be set.
                I am planning on doing this same swap and what I am going to try to do is you yj pedals and a yj hydraulic clutch setup by swapping the Yj pedals onto the fsj pedal assembly. I have already test fit the parts in my garage and it looks like with some metal trimmed of the yj pedals at the top everything will fit and funtion correctly on an fsj assembly.
                '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs

Comment

Originally posted by jaber
                  His '88 will already have the XJ starter.
                  That was for anyone else contemplating this swap. Also, the spacer has to be 1" for the AX-15 or AW4 to FSJ cases 208,219,228,229 or AMC Eagle 119,128 or 129. I got mine from http://partsmike.com and they are about $100 but the studs were only grade 5 so I updated.
                  Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

I compared XJ pedals to FSJ and they don't come out right (middle of the brake booster)

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                      350 Buick
                      • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by Carnuck
                      I compared XJ pedals to FSJ and they don't come out right (middle of the brake booster)
                      If you want to run the hydraulic clutch you have to ditch the brake booster any how. The FSJ booster will impact the clutch master cylinder. I was probably going to go with a hydra set up . I have also contemplated a 95 yj dual diaphragm booster but i am not sure if that would have enough punch to stop an FSJ so I am leaning more towards the Hydra.
                      Last edited by ThisGuyUKnow; 03-12-2012, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• Kris
                        350 Buick
                        • Jul 05, 2000

You dont need to ditch the vacuum booster to fit the clutch master.
                        I made a spacer for mine and had a longer rod installed in the booster.

k.
                        89 Waggy

AX-15 swap info threads...
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=83102
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=97262
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=104163
                        Theres more but that should get you started

Originally posted by JeepinPete
                        -If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all-

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                          350 Buick
                          • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by Kris
                          You dont need to ditch the vacuum booster to fit the clutch master.
                          I made a spacer for mine and had a longer rod installed in the booster.

k.
                          Any specs on that spacer? I am glad you put your two cents in Kris when I have a convo with a shop or someone that tells me an ax15 or nv3550 cant hold up behind a 360 I always tell them about how your rig has held up for quite some time with one. Did you use stock FSJ clutch pedals modified to work with the clutch master? Did you use a master from a yj or something else?

Comment

• Tripwire
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Jul 30, 2000

dosnt the crank also need to have the hole for the pilot bushing?
                            Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Kris
                              350 Buick
                              • Jul 05, 2000

Originally posted by ThisGuyUKnow
                              Any specs on that spacer? I am glad you put your two cents in Kris when I have a convo with a shop or someone that tells me an ax15 or nv3550 cant hold up behind a 360 I always tell them about how your rig has held up for quite some time with one. Did you use stock FSJ clutch pedals modified to work with the clutch master? Did you use a master from a yj or something else?
                              You have reminded me again that I need to permalink the 2-3 threads Ive put all the specs of my swap into down in my sig or something.

Gimme a few and Ill link them.

Originally posted by Tripwire
                              dosnt the crank also need to have the hole for the pilot bushing?
                              It does.

k.
                              89 Waggy

AX-15 swap info threads...
                              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=83102
                              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=97262
                              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=104163
                              Theres more but that should get you started

Originally posted by JeepinPete
                              -If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all-

Comment

Working...
                              X