• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • offthebeatenpath
    232 I6
    • May 31, 2019

60's era J-truck side mirrors?

Man, this whole photobucket fiasco really makes searching through old threads tough.... I know the info I want is there, but I can't see it.

Anyway, I've got a '65 J200, and I've got one side mirror on the driver's door. Was this the original stock configuration? Were there options? I'd kind of like to get it looking correct, but it's not a frame-up restoration either.

Can a few of you post up what you've got on your rigs?

• joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Not written in stone but I'd say no that's not stock/orig. Most FSJ trucks of that era had "tripod mount" mirrors. Don't have any picks of mine but an example on Amazon.

Only difference between early and todays version is the upper horizontal leg was tubular like the lower legs and not stamped sheet metal. Still works as well though. They are also avail at any auto parts store with the mirror back in SS or white enamel. Excellent stabile mirrors that offer a great view for on road use and backing up on a narrow dirt mountain road where you "need" to see where the rear wheel is in relation to the edge of the road. Another common but not stock mirrors on FSJ trucks(more common on the flatbed DRW models)) were the West Coast Mini's. The WC Mini's may have been a dealer installed option?
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• KaiserMan
      I got the Willys....
      • Jun 21, 2005

That is the stock mirror mount and arm, but an aftermarket head. They came stock with a round head. The round head was replaced with a rectangular head in the later 60's. It would have been color matched to the arm.

You could also get a tripod mirror with a rectangular head.

West Coast Jr. mirrors were available in the late 60's through the 80's.
      Thomas Russell
      1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
      1971 Gladiator
      J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
      1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• KaiserMan
        I got the Willys....
        • Jun 21, 2005

This is the stock 60's tripod mirror.

Thomas Russell
        1971 Gladiator

Comment

• offthebeatenpath
          232 I6
          • May 31, 2019

Originally posted by KaiserMan
          That is the stock mirror mount and arm, but an aftermarket head. They came stock with a round head. The round head was replaced with a rectangular head in the later 60's. It would have been color matched to the arm.

You could also get a tripod mirror with a rectangular head.

West Coast Jr. mirrors were available in the late 60's through the 80's.
          Is it typical to only have a mirror on the driver's side?

I know that was semi-common industry practice, I just don't know what Jeep's practice was.

Comment

• KaiserMan
            I got the Willys....
            • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by offthebeatenpath
            Is it typical to only have a mirror on the driver's side?

I know that was semi-common industry practice, I just don't know what Jeep's practice was.

Yes. The passengers side mirror was optional for the base mirror. Not sure about optional mirrors, but I think that you had to specifically order two of them to get a pair.
            Thomas Russell
            1971 Gladiator

Comment

Working...
            X