X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

You would not want to see those pictures.

Work from the passenger side to the drivers side on the firewall pad. Just follow the instructions and you will not have any issues.
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Be from Be
      232 I6
      • Jan 27, 2017

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
      I can't say enough how glad I am to be here and out of Oregon. I have always enjoyed the woods and now I live in a place that has more animals than any place I have ever been even recreationally (in the CJ tooling around).
      I have stumbled into two moose heading for the shop. Both times a bull moose. So when I insist that house guests look both ways and pay attention when exiting our front door, I get a look sometimes. We have grizzly and a ton of black bear here. Wolves can be heard sometimes also. And last night I read out loud to my wife the entire true story of Hugh Glass. A 1800's mountain man. Leonard DeCaprio played him in the movie "The Revenant". We just watched it. The movie twisted up a lot of facts, but there is a man that lived to the absolute fullest. We always have bear spray and a 44 when we go in the back woods. First and most successful is always the spray. I fully realize I am in their back yard and not mine. Moose are actually more dangerous because they are stupid. Especially the mothers. Their brain is the size of a walnut. And they are amazingly fast. I like it here because I can pound on body metal all day here. I disturb no one.
      I could not be more grateful to be here.

And you are right Finn. T86 first gear sliders are all broken. I got bored and took a look.
      Reading through the posts on a lazy Sunday afternoon, I saw your build thread, and I am really impressed by your determination and skills restoring Sadie. For my 50th birthday we took our kids for an unforgettable vacation in Yellowstone Nat'l Park. Though we loved the park, we didn't see moose... We saw a grizzly at a distance of 500 yards. I guess our next vacation to the USA will be in Oregon...!
      1978 Cherokee Chief
      360 V8 Automatic
      Quadra Trac w/ Mile Marker conversion
      4" Skyjacker

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by Be from Be
        Reading through the posts on a lazy Sunday afternoon, I saw your build thread, and I am really impressed by your determination and skills restoring Sadie. For my 50th birthday we took our kids for an unforgettable vacation in Yellowstone Nat'l Park. Though we loved the park, we didn't see moose... We saw a grizzly at a distance of 500 yards. I guess our next vacation to the USA will be in Oregon...!
        Well thank you. I have learned a lot doing all this repair. 500 yards is about right. I hope I never meet one here. Yellowstone is a very amazing place. Including the traffic jams.

I will go re-write my posting on leaving Oregon. I live in the Idaho panhandle now. You are the second person who thought I live there still. Must have been the way I wrote it. I have only seen one bear in OR and here I have seen one several times a week here and there, including one in the yard chomping grass last year. I always give them a wide berth. Oregon has world class Roosevelt elk though. They are huge. Here they are pretty small. Check out Glacier National park sometime. I hope to do the same now that I am so close.
        Melford1972 says...
        I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
          327 Rambler
          • Jan 15, 2016

Greg I wondered where you had been hiding. Sounds like the holidays were enjoyable. I suspect the new build wrinkles in a truck build are normal. It will get better with the corrections. Don't jeeps of all types always need something?
          The holidays were, in fact, wonderful. The truck was SO CLOSE to being semi-daily driver ready. Then the water pump happened, now it seems like there's a head gasket issue. So parts are here and I've just got to put the top end of the ole 230 back together and problem solve from there. I don't believe the head or block has any cracks in it, so it's either a head gasket or a distributor situation. I decided it was worth it to take the top end off to investigate and make sure I don't blow up the motor for which replacement parts are so very expensive... The truck will live to bring me more smiles. I'll be back on it soon. So I'm glad to follow your progress while I push through my struggles. You are, as ever, the man.
          '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
          (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
            360 AMC
            • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by 63J200atLSU
            The holidays were, in fact, wonderful. The truck was SO CLOSE to being semi-daily driver ready. Then the water pump happened, now it seems like there's a head gasket issue. So parts are here and I've just got to put the top end of the ole 230 back together and problem solve from there. I don't believe the head or block has any cracks in it, so it's either a head gasket or a distributor situation. I decided it was worth it to take the top end off to investigate and make sure I don't blow up the motor for which replacement parts are so very expensive... The truck will live to bring me more smiles. I'll be back on it soon. So I'm glad to follow your progress while I push through my struggles. You are, as ever, the man.

Sounds like it is keeping you busy. 5 things to make a motor run.
            Spark, fuel, timing, air, and compression. Beer would make 6.

A lot of stuff is showing up here. I can move ahead on several things I have been waiting for. The headlight harness, landing the tailight housings, emblems and I dug out the wiring harness. There is a day or two needed to clean it up. The black correct knobs showed up. They were new and not used. I am super pleased. Mr-Dash is the ebay seller. I will be getting more to put in my little yellow bin.
            Melford1972 says...
            -----------------------
            I make wag parts
            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
            1968 M715 restomod
            2001 Dodge 3500
            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Be from Be
              232 I6
              • Jan 27, 2017

Well thank you. I have learned a lot doing all this repair. 500 yards is about right. I hope I never meet one here. Yellowstone is a very amazing place. Including the traffic jams.

I will go re-write my posting on leaving Oregon. I live in the Idaho panhandle now. You are the second person who thought I live there still. Must have been the way I wrote it. I have only seen one bear in OR and here I have seen one several times a week here and there, including one in the yard chomping grass last year. I always give them a wide berth. Oregon has world class Roosevelt elk though. They are huge. Here they are pretty small. Check out Glacier National park sometime. I hope to do the same now that I am so close.
              Oh I would looove to visit Glacier Park sometime. But not very soon. I promised my wife to go to Asia, so Thailand or Indonesia will be our next big trip. I hope that my euros will buy a lot of $$$$ by the time that we saved for our next vacation to the USA.
              1978 Cherokee Chief
              360 V8 Automatic
              Quadra Trac w/ Mile Marker conversion
              4" Skyjacker

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                360 AMC
                • Oct 02, 2002

After several days at my fathers home to address a serious problem I was able to get a day in back here at home. Sea otters got under his home and destroyed the underside of his place. At least 10K in damage. And it reeks at 30 feet of very rotten seafood. Inside and out. The heating system has also failed. The floors are buckled, it is a royal mess. We just left and came home. It is beyond our means to fix it. I have not been in a very good mood. I guess our problems are minor compared to some. I am trying to keep it in perspective.

I have the steering column, shaft, power steering hoses, brake pedal, emergency brake, vents all installed and it looks great. I want to land the glove box door and I will post a picture. I after looking for ever and finally buying a complete e_brake assembly to use for the pedal pad and knob, found a NOS pedal pad on Ebay. A little late on the find I purchased it anyway. I need it for other rigs and I might try to copy it and cast it up in new rubber.

I will post up soon. Today is my wifes birthday. She is a very special lady. I have a day with her and will post up when I can.

Melford1972 says...
                -----------------------
                I make wag parts
                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                1968 M715 restomod
                2001 Dodge 3500
                2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• toddthewelder
                  258 I6
                  • Dec 30, 2010

After several days at my fathers home to address a serious problem I was able to get a day in back here at home. Sea otters got under his home and destroyed the underside of his place. At least 10K in damage. And it reeks at 30 feet of very rotten seafood. Inside and out. The heating system has also failed. The floors are buckled, it is a royal mess. We just left and came home. It is beyond our means to fix it. I have not been in a very good mood. I guess our problems are minor compared to some. I am trying to keep it in perspective.

I have the steering column, shaft, power steering hoses, brake pedal, emergency brake, vents all installed and it looks great. I want to land the glove box door and I will post a picture. I after looking for ever and finally buying a complete e_brake assembly to use for the pedal pad and knob, found a NOS pedal pad on Ebay. A little late on the find I purchased it anyway. I need it for other rigs and I might try to copy it and cast it up in new rubber.

I will post up soon. Today is my wifes birthday. She is a very special lady. I have a day with her and will post up when I can.

It's crazy how fast a house will go south once it's unoccupied, I bet it's even faster in the PNW. I hope you get it sorted out soon. Happy Birthday to your wife, y'all go have some fun
                  80 cj 5
                  87 GW
                  Another 87 GW
                  88 GW
                  99 Wrangler
                  07 Dodge 3500
                  67 Chevy SWB
                  2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                    360 AMC
                    • Oct 02, 2002

We are waiting for an as is offer back that is really really low. My dad owes a lot of money to everyone. Including us. If we can just cover that than it will be fine. That would be best case scenario for us. I am so close to having Sadie done. Working on finishing is all I want to do right now. I am back at it today. I have the vents on the wrong sides. A quick switch and off and running.

Liz's birthday was real nice. We had some quality time to have a nice dinner.

The soft axle straps showed up. For lashing down in the trailer. I suppose that means it is close. The head liner should not be to hard to sew up. The door panels are the biggest unresolved thing right now. I will produce something nice.

I will try to get some pictures up tonight.
                    Melford1972 says...
                    -----------------------
                    I make wag parts
                    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                    1968 M715 restomod
                    2001 Dodge 3500
                    2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                      360 AMC
                      • Oct 02, 2002

So I somehow grabbed two passenger side vents. It took me awhile to get that straight. So I keep working away on a few things. I need some small angle pieces for the dash pad. They bolt on under the 7 dash bolts at the base of the windshield. They hold the dash pad down. I took a stainless steel door off our old BBQ and it is perfect. 22 gauge and it should work great and never rust like the factory jeep ones. I will need to paint them black along with the glove box door. It does not match the dash. It is to flat as the dash has three coats and the door one. I will paint the G-box door and 7 hold downs and a few other parts in one day pretty soon.
                      I have 7 dash pads. Only one might be savable as is. It still needs a ton of repair work. I have flexible ATV seat vinyl to recover them. But the severe curve changes on the front edge make wrinkles. I will use Sadies old metal dash or a scrap dash to mock up pad repairs or possibly brand new construction. I dream a lot I guess.

Here is the dash so far. I am using my very best parts.

Another.

I have a couple AM radio's but they are not so great. Anybody got one that is cosmetically super?

The emblem came out pretty good. Cerakote finally sent the red and gold samples. They do not match and I won't be using them. The colors in the picture are Duplicolor and are really close.

I used my best unrestored steering column surround. Someday when I get some more time I would like to cast these, then plate them. Sadies original was black and had a factory split cast between the screws. It was also super flexible unlike the solid surrounds. So it could be put on the column without taking the column apart. With the chrome glove box door clock going in, we elected to match the surround to really set it all off. Eye candy....

I got a new speedometer cable. It would not screw on the transfer case end. I had to machine down a 7/8 socket in the lathe to remove the adapter and see what was up. Both were 18 threads per inch. I super cleaned the threads and using a soft jaw plier got it to go on all the way without any damage to the new collar. Some of this stuff takes a long time to resolve. But it is done.
                      I picked the best tailight housings I had. Sadies original ones are pitted to all heck. I will buff them and see how the new edge seal fits. I will post pictures and part numbers then.
                      I will have more soon.
                      Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 01-19-2018, 05:55 PM.
                      Melford1972 says...
                      -----------------------
                      I make wag parts
                      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                      1968 M715 restomod
                      2001 Dodge 3500
                      2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• bkilby
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 10, 2016

Wow, that dash looks great. Have you started on the wiring yet?
                        1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                          360 AMC
                          • Oct 02, 2002

Not yet. But I did get it out and it sits on the floor in a good sized tangled mess. I see a couple days of repairs, relanding terminals for fresh connections etc. I will lay it out as it goes in the car. Try to get a plan and go for it. I rewired a 68 Camaro bumper to bumper in about 5 hours using a replacement harness. So I hope that part is a slam dunk. That will be a big step there.
                          Melford1972 says...
                          -----------------------
                          I make wag parts
                          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                          1968 M715 restomod
                          2001 Dodge 3500
                          2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                            327 Rambler
                            • Dec 04, 2016

Not yet. But I did get it out and it sits on the floor in a good sized tangled mess. I see a couple days of repairs, relanding terminals for fresh connections etc. I will lay it out as it goes in the car. Try to get a plan and go for it. I rewired a 68 Camaro bumper to bumper in about 5 hours using a replacement harness. So I hope that part is a slam dunk. That will be a big step there.

I envy you if you got it out and it makes sense. Started on my trucks harness and it was so fouled up, misrouted, burned, cut wires, mangled that I just hooked a come a long to it and pulled it all out! I did get an entirely new generic harness from BJs.
                            1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
                            Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified

Comment

• bkilby
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by Frank Ziebert
                              I did get an entirely new generic harness from BJs.
                              Me too. the old one wasn't worth saving.
                              1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                                360 AMC
                                • Oct 02, 2002

I will have to take a look at their harness. I suspect the original will be less trouble. I am trying to get stuff done. I have to keep dealing with the derned real estate agents listing my dads home 9 hours away. They lost the keys for the second time now. We have a sale pending and I would fire them if it made sense. Unbelievable seriously.

So I am recycling a BBQ my wife and I bought used last summer. It needs new burners I can't get. So if you readers remember I used the BBQ to cure the hi temp paint on the exhaust pieces. Probably not a good idea to cook food in it anymore. It will supply a ton of stainless steel for what ever. I needed 7 small clips for holding down the front edge of a dash pad up under the glass seal. Not having anything to model after I winged it and made some. They will not rust. I will paint them with all the other stuff that I am collecting.

Cutting the angle away from the BBQ door.

A little while later I had these. I ran each one through the bead roller for a raised section to hold the vinyl down.

They go here. They should do the job. All of it has to be installed before glass. I have given up on the guy who said he had 2 windshields for me. 10 months of asking is to much. I will find them somewhere else. The BBQ front door was perfect for this.

I also have been polishing up tail light housings. I am not liking what I see. They don't look very good. The ones on ebay are just as bad or much worse.

I was hoping I had something better than this. Sadies originals are really bad with heavy pitting all over. These are something I don't want to put on. There has to be something better. I wonder what rechroming would cost?

More soon unless I have to travel again.
                                Melford1972 says...
                                -----------------------
                                I make wag parts
                                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                                1968 M715 restomod
                                2001 Dodge 3500
                                2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
                                X