International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-25-2007, 09:29 PM
JB Welder

Question Wiring old style (early 60s) headlight buckets into new style wiring harness

So I have a set of early headlight buckets from a rhino grilled rig that have part of their original wiring harness attached to them. I am trying to get them onto my 76 J20.
Here's the problem:
The old style buckets have a sort of two-stage wiring harness. They have two wires going into the main outer bucket and then through a plug and into the inner wiring harness where they attach to the plug that goes into the back of the headlight. The thing is that the wiring on the '76 won't pass through the little plug on the outer bucket to go into the headlight, and if I were to try to splice them in, it wouldn't work since the new style has 4 wires whereas the old only has the two.

I guess I could enlarge the opening on the old style headlight buckets to allow the 76 harness to go straight into the headlight, but that seems kinda like the "hack" approach. Has anyone else run into this? What is the best solution?

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Delightfully Incompetent

Jode,
I came across that too. What I did was to cut out a circle on the back of the buckets using the cheapie HF hole saw. It was noisy, but it worked. And, I didn't have to do any splicing. The headlight plugs in easily from the back.
Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:03 PM
JB Welder

Alright cool - I guess if it was good enough for you, then it is good enough for me
Old 06-25-2007, 10:11 PM

X2 just make sure to smooth the hole and/or add a peice of strip gommet around the hole so the insolation does not cut itslef open on the sharp edge. (Or the other route is to just use a set late model CJ buckets, with all the work already done)