X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mars
    350 Buick
    • Apr 24, 2010

It could be chunks from the fuel pump's diaphram. Do you have a way to do a pressure test?
    I would also suggest putting in a clear filter to see what's going through your lines.
    Wannabe Fabricator
    Grumpy on a good day.
    1981 J-10 Laredo.. mmmm bucket seats...
    What I'm working on: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...50#post1503850

Comment

• GWJeeper
      232 I6
      • Mar 28, 2019

Hadn't thought of that but certainly a possibility. You mention a pressure test? of what? the fuel pump?
      '91 GW
      2000 TJ
      '41 Ford Real honest to gosh woodie

Comment

• nograin
        304 AMC
        • Dec 19, 2000

The fuel saturated charcoal bits will squish into nothing.
        When the fuel hose fails, the pump can't pull the fuel from the tank. That's the usual one to fail - the one to the pump.
        Sounds like charcoal. Pictures of deteriated hoses and charcoal
        Fuel delivery / Charcoal in carb http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=184315

Fuel level is hard to judge after lifting the carb off the engine. Very easy to lose some. Wet check should be done on the engine.
        Off the engine, do the dry check for float setting.
        There should be a cardboard measuring square in the rebuild kit. A combo square can be used or make up something.
        Last edited by nograin; 07-26-2019, 08:29 AM.
        '85 Grand Wagoneer
        360 727auto, NP229
        body by beer (PO)
        carries wood inside
        no "wood" outside
        My other car is a fish

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

nograin posts some pretty convincing pics! Do your black chunks look like his?

Rubber chunks can come from the inside of any of the rubber pieces that are in your fuel system. Fuel lines, fuel filler neck, evap lines, etc. and make their way forward. Maybe the new fuel filter failed and chunks from it are flowing forward.

Fuel pumps are so cheap and easy to replace, I wouldn't test it, I would just replace it (if the chunks are rubber and not charcoal).

Realistically, I think nograin and Curly5759 are right, though.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• GWJeeper
            232 I6
            • Mar 28, 2019

This afternoon I recleaned everything blew carb cleaner and compressed air throughout the passages and buttoned the thing back up. I prefer to make one change at a time so I can isolate the problem rather than change multiple items and have no idea what cured it.
            Installed carb and took it for a test drive. It drove great, no hesitation, no surging, no back fire, no acting like it was running out of gas no problems. Got it up to full operating temp out on the interstate and brought it home and parked it. In the morning I'll check over the fasteners to make sure everything is snug as it should be then I guess I'll just drive it and see what happens.
            From what I can tell the problem was some debris of some kind in the bowl as well as perhaps a clogged primary jet. Here's hoping
            Regardless of the outcome I think I'll plan on replacing all of the fuel lines as well as the fuel pump over the next little bit. Thanks to all, sadly I'm sure I'll be back
            '91 GW
            2000 TJ

Comment

• nograin
              304 AMC
              • Dec 19, 2000

There's only three ways that stuff can get into the bowl.
              The fuel feed which must go through the inlet valve. Anything under 30 microns or smaller will be picked up in the filter. Go ahead, cut it open. I did.
              The bowl vents open to the air cleaner. - The top gasket will stop or at least pick up some of what ever 'it' is that made it past the air filter.
              The bowl vent connected to the charcoal canister. That too should show as some deposits on the top gasket. Unlike the main vent, the only filter is the foam. In theory there is no reason for charcoal to move to the bowl. reality is that when the check valve fails, the bowl is at lower pressure than atmosphere and some charcoal will migrate. Take off the vapor seperator and flush it. If a bunch of charcoal comes out - there's your evidence.

Fixing the solenoid valve - no fun. I don't have a good easy solution.
              Replacing the foam. Really not a hard job.
              Not sure what cannister '91 rigs got. It may look like like the one TWMattox shows in the rebuild thread linked. Or it may be yet another version and maybe that is still available.
              Last edited by nograin; 07-26-2019, 04:55 PM.
              '85 Grand Wagoneer
              360 727auto, NP229
              body by beer (PO)
              carries wood inside
              no "wood" outside
              My other car is a fish

Comment

• GWJeeper
                232 I6
                • Mar 28, 2019

Nograin, When I first worked on the carb a few weeks ago I installed a new fuel filter, I think I'll take your advice and sacrifice that filter to see what might be coming in via the fuel supply line. Between the external filter and the small filter screen under the needle and seat it's hard to see how anything could get into the bowl from that source, but who knows
                As to the vent line to the charcoal canister, so far I haven't found a source for a new vapor separator so I'll try flushing the one on the car and see what turns up. If it contains charcoal bits I wonder if installing a filter or screen in the line might stop charcoal from making it's way into the carb. Either that or eliminate the charcoal canister completely ( I live in a state with no emission regs to deal with).
                I'm really new to the 2150 carburetor world but I wasn't aware that there is another vent to the air cleaner, is that feature on all year GWs or am I not seeing what I'm looking at? Thanks for your input, it's appreciated
                '91 GW
                2000 TJ

Comment

• GWJeeper
                  232 I6
                  • Mar 28, 2019

This the results of cleaning the vapor separator and its hoses. No wonder I'm having trouble with debris entering the fuel bowl. I flushed the separator with carb cleaner and blew compressed air through the scrubbed the inside with a bore brush. I replaced all of the hoses, so now we'll see if that stops the problem from recurring

IMG_0788.JPG

Sorry for the crappy photo, I'm learning how to post photos to this forum, the shiny item in the photo is a razor blade to give scale to the crud that came out of the separator
                  '91 GW
                  2000 TJ

Comment

• nograin
                    304 AMC
                    • Dec 19, 2000

Originally posted by GWJeeper
                    This the results of cleaning the vapor separator and its hoses. No wonder I'm having trouble with debris entering the fuel bowl. I flushed the separator with carb cleaner and blew compressed air through the scrubbed the inside with a bore brush. I replaced all of the hoses, so now we'll see if that stops the problem from recurring

[ATTACH]15644[/ATTACH]

Sorry for the crappy photo, I'm learning how to post photos to this forum, the shiny item in the photo is a razor blade to give scale to the crud that came out of the separator
                    heh. You managd to attach a photo. The capability to attach photos is very limited.
                    I have 3 or 4.
                    The main way to show photos is host them elsewhere and then link to the photo. Flickr is currently a favorite hosting service.

Follow the link to the Charcoal canister rebuilds. Its not that difficult. Only challenge is cutting the seam neatly.
                    '85 Grand Wagoneer
                    360 727auto, NP229
                    body by beer (PO)
                    carries wood inside
                    no "wood" outside
                    My other car is a fish

Comment

• nograin
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 19, 2000

Originally posted by GWJeeper
                      Nograin, When I first worked on the carb a few weeks ago I installed a new fuel filter, I think I'll take your advice and sacrifice that filter to see what might be coming in via the fuel supply line. Between the external filter and the small filter screen under the needle and seat it's hard to see how anything could get into the bowl from that source, but who knows
                      As to the vent line to the charcoal canister, so far I haven't found a source for a new vapor separator so I'll try flushing the one on the car and see what turns up. If it contains charcoal bits I wonder if installing a filter or screen in the line might stop charcoal from making it's way into the carb. Either that or eliminate the charcoal canister completely ( I live in a state with no emission regs to deal with).
                      I'm really new to the 2150 carburetor world but I wasn't aware that there is another vent to the air cleaner, is that feature on all year GWs or am I not seeing what I'm looking at? Thanks for your input, it's appreciated
                      Kennedy American had some of the seperators. But there's really nothing to them internally so if you flush it out, it will be fine.

Two vents:
                      Most factory carbs from early 70s up have a second vent for capturing vapors when the engine isn't running. The main vent when running is the same as a pre-emmissions carb. Just a hole or tube to a point inside the air cleaner. Although we call it a vent - the real function is to maintain the bowl at atmospheric pressure. Some carbs run into the air flow - so these increase pressure with increasing flow. But Holleys and Autolites/Motorcraft carbs are meant to keep constant pressure.

Pressure in the bowl is how a carb moves fuel toward the engine.
                      At lower engine speeds the fuel moves toward the low pressure under the throttle blade(s).
                      At higher engine speeds, the fuel moves toward the low pressure created at the booster in the venturi.
                      If you like diagrams, I posted one here:
                      Ever since I got the Jeep, it's never started up well, cold. Even warm, after it's sat awhile. Always take 3-4 tries. Several pumps, crank, fires up, stalls right away, few pumps, crank, fires and have to feather the throttle, usually stalls again, repeat, and then feather throttle for about a minute before it will idle on its
                      Last edited by nograin; 07-27-2019, 07:32 PM.
                      '85 Grand Wagoneer
                      360 727auto, NP229
                      body by beer (PO)
                      carries wood inside
                      no "wood" outside
                      My other car is a fish

Comment

Working...
                      X