• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harrinad
    232 I6
    • Jan 22, 2019

Help with what water ports are used for

Hey, I am working on a 1980 Jeep J10 with the 258. There are two ports on the drivers side of the block that had vacuum lines on them but they seem to go into the water jacket. What are these used for and can I just plug them?
    Last edited by Harrinad; 01-03-2021, 03:09 PM.
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

HI I
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Harrinad
      232 I6
      • Jan 22, 2019

Sorry, I

Comment

• Harrinad
        232 I6
        • Jan 22, 2019

I don

Comment

• MysticRob
          350 Buick
          • Nov 26, 2019

It's a bug, has to do with apostrophes (obviously). Go back in one of your original posts and edit what you wanted to say. Then hit submit.
          --Rob--
          1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
          https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
          https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• Ristow
            • Jan 20, 2006

Hi don. Me Ristow.

You cannot use apostrophes it posting from a phone or similar.
            Originally posted by Hankrod
            Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
            ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
            I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Harrinad
              232 I6
              • Jan 22, 2019

Thanks, Rob.

Comment

• jpcoutts
                304 AMC
                • Jun 28, 2002

In response to your original question I think you are referring to temperature controlled switches that were part of the emissions control system. Most I have seen were simply no longer in use or had the ports blocked. There are plenty of sources for the original diagrams if you want or need to get them back to original but if you don't need that just make sure your vac controlled systems like dizzy advance and the like are getting vac from an appropriate source, manifold vac or carb vac. The folks here can be of great help with specific questions if you post them.
                Jim C
                '67 J3000 Dually
                '86 J20
                '79 CJ5(in pieces)
                '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
                Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

• Harrinad
                  232 I6
                  • Jan 22, 2019

How do the temp controlled switches work? Do they only supply vacuum when warm or what? There is no water transfer into those lines, right?

Comment

• Cliff
                    350 Buick
                    • Mar 30, 2002

Correct - just vacuum.
                    Cliff Danley
                    1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• tgreese
                      • May 29, 2003

Do you have the TSM? It will tell you about stuff like this. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...183272&jsn=379

There is a '79 and '81 TSM at the Tom Collins site free to read and download. The '80 258 engine is more a '79, and the rest of the truck is more like an '81. https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

Best to get the exact book for your year. Not expensive.
                      Tim Reese
                      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• FSJunkie
                        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                        • Jan 09, 2011

They were just wax pellet switches. They work the same way your thermostat works. They reach a certain temperature then open or close vacuum ports to control various engine functions.

Typically:

The front switch had two ports and opened at 115 degrees. It prevented EGR from occurring when the engine was cold. Cold engines can't handle EGR.

The rear switch had three ports and switched at 160 degrees. It sent manifold vacuum to the distributor advance below 160 degrees and switched to sending ported vacuum to the distributor above 160 degrees. This advanced the ignition timing while the engine was cold to help improve cold weather performance.

Basically the front switch is only needed if you have EGR and the rear switch just helps the engine while it's cold.
                        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• MysticRob
                          350 Buick
                          • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by FSJunkie
                          They were just wax pellet switches. They work the same way your thermostat works. They reach a certain temperature then open or close vacuum ports to control various engine functions.

Typically:

The front switch had two ports and opened at 115 degrees. It prevented EGR from occurring when the engine was cold. Cold engines can't handle EGR.

The rear switch had three ports and switched at 160 degrees. It sent manifold vacuum to the distributor advance below 160 degrees and switched to sending ported vacuum to the distributor above 160 degrees. This advanced the ignition timing while the engine was cold to help improve cold weather performance.

Basically the front switch is only needed if you have EGR and the rear switch just helps the engine while it's cold.
                          Too bad this version of vBulletin doesn't allow upvoting or appreciating posts, cuz this is a great one. Thanks, FSJunkie!
                          --Rob--
                          1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                          https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                          https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

Working...
                          X