• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pyro
    258 I6
    • Sep 15, 2012

258 Won't start, has fuel, timing, and spark

Went to start the truck today and I can't get it to fire. I checked the distributor, it has good spark. The carb is allowing gas to flow fine, however when I pull the plugs to do a compression test (135 lbs) the plugs are completely dry, no fuel on them what so ever. The timing appears to be correct, and is not 180* out. When I removed the carb and plugged the hole with my hand, I can feel the air moving. I'm stumped and looking for insight.

Truck has been running perfectly lately, and does not diesel, etc which would raise concerns a out the timing jumping. The engine is a rebuild with about 2000 miles on it. Hei distributor and motorcraft 2150 carb.
    '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
    '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

FSJNetwork Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!
  • serehill
    Gone,Never Forgotten.
    • Nov 22, 2009

Man where do you start.

I'm assuming you primed it? I'm going to make some assumption since they are not clear.
    Spark at the coil does not ensure spark at the plug.
    Assuming timing is OK is not good it should be confirmed. Distributor is dead on # 1 when #1 is on compression.
    Having gas doesn't mean the engine is getting gas.
    The engine breathing is good.
    Things to look at. Priming the carburator.
    Checking for spark at the plug.
    Check to make sure the distributor is tuning & in time.
    Check rotor cap assembly to make sure all is in order.

Mt assumption from the limited input is fuel.
    Last edited by serehill; 04-24-2016, 11:51 AM.

80 Cherokee
    360 ci 727 with
    Comp cams 270 h
    NP208
    Edlebrock performer intake
    Holley 4180
    Msd total multi spark.
    4" rusty's springs
    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• pyro
      258 I6
      • Sep 15, 2012

Yep, primed. Also tried pouring gas down the carb and using starting fluid to no avail. We pulled a plug and confirmed we are getting a good white spark at the plug too. Changed out the rotor and the control module inside the distributor just because they looked worn. The rotor is slightly forward when at tdc, however it's been that way. We even adjusted it to advance and retarx the timing, but neither made a difference. Even if it was that little bit off, it should still be sputtering or fire up and die off, etc. I've got nothing at all.
      Last edited by pyro; 04-24-2016, 11:56 AM.
      '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
      '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

Comment

• Tripwire
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 30, 2000

someone shove a potato up the tail pipe? ( not yours)
        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• pyro
          258 I6
          • Sep 15, 2012

Lol we even checked the exhaust...when cranking you can feel air flow there too...ugh. I should have figured. Running good, minimal leaks. Good things never last when it comes to jeeps.
          '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
          '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

Comment

• bkilby
            350 Buick
            • Jan 10, 2016

Assuming your timing is correct and you have spark at the spark plug and gas going down the throat of the carb, it should fire. Well unless shoved some rags in the intake manifold then bolted the carb on. Lol! What color were the plugs when you pulled them? Black is no good (too much gas) and you might have to clean them and put them back in. Or get new ones. I've seen plugs not fire when black.
            1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• averse
              232 I6
              • Oct 13, 2009

I know this sounds ridiculous, but it was running recently (you said perfect) then the next time You went to start it....nothing?...I had an 81 Jeep Cherokee with the 258, and if the dist cap got any moisture in it...it would do pretty much exactly as You describe.......hair dryer.or new cap...I would carry two caps to have a quick fix....it would run great...even when it rained....it would just depend on if I went through a big puddle or something...then it would sit and not restart...and I lived in Sarasota at the time.

But it is like the others say...if it is in time....spark and fuel....it should do something....given Your description of events...give the cap a try.

How about the butterflies in the carb...I had another 258 (CJ-7), sometimes I would have to remove the air cleaner....put a screw down in the carb to hold the butterflies open (use a big enough screw driver so it can't fall in)...and see if it starts...stand back if You have been trying...could backfire, if it is loading up with fuel in the runners....

Let us know what You fine.

Adam
              Last edited by averse; 04-24-2016, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• pyro
                258 I6
                • Sep 15, 2012

The cap looks good...no marking on it anywhere. I cleaned it off when I replaced the rotor. The rotor seems to be sitting a bit ahead of #1 at tdc, however even when the distributor was retarded back to make up for it, it still wouldn't fire at all. The spark plugs are not bad at all, no black soot or anything. The entire build only has about 2000 miles on it. The carb has no choke (yay florida) so the butterfly is always open. The thing that confuses me is no matter how much I prime the carb, when I pull the plugs they are completely dry. No sign of fuel at all.

Here's a pic of the rotor at tdc.

Last edited by pyro; 04-24-2016, 05:03 PM.
                '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
                '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

Comment

• averse
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 13, 2009

If it is cranking and not turning over...it should be pretty flooded by now...the mechanical pump will be pumping with the cranking....And I know You say the cap is good....but pull a plug or take the wire off any cylinder, put a good plug in it and ground the end of the plug to the block...should have a nice spark....I think You said You already did this?...Does it smell like gas?...it should if it is getting fuel...and you said You tried starter fluid down the carb?....like they all said....if You have fuel and You have spark....it should do something...even if it is out of time...generally You will get a back fire...I Never had any problem from the ignition box, but it would no be the first one...
                  Last edited by averse; 04-24-2016, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• pyro
                    258 I6
                    • Sep 15, 2012

Yea I pulled a plug and grounded it...it's got a good white spark. The plug didn't smell like gas at all which is the part that baffles me.
                    '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
                    '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

Comment

• averse
                      232 I6
                      • Oct 13, 2009

Originally posted by pyro
                      Yea I pulled a plug and grounded it...it's got a good white spark. The plug didn't smell like gas at all which is the part that baffles me.
                      Is the fuel pump, pumping?....if you manually work the throttle do You see fuel squirting in the intake (do not stand over it while cranking the engine) but if there is fuel in the bowl it should squirt some out?....does the carb smell like a lot of gas?....sorry man I am running out of ideas....but it is pointing to fuel?

Comment

• pyro
                        258 I6
                        • Sep 15, 2012

Yep, it's pumping and spraying when you press the throttle. I can feel fuel down in the bowl too. I appreciate the help regardless. My neighbor was a mechanic for 25 years and he's at a loss too.
                        Last edited by pyro; 04-24-2016, 05:20 PM.
                        '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
                        '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

Comment

• Tripwire
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Jul 30, 2000

this is a puzzler for sure air is going in and out the rear.... gas and spark on all plugs? .even though you have compression could it be a jumped timing chain? a jumped chain would still provide some compression i think. i dont know how you would check this unless you removed valve cover(s) and rotated the engine over to TDC and see if both valves were closed and all valves are doing their up/down thing at full extension to eliminate worn lobes as result of a bad cam? 135 PSI seems like its on the low side - i thought but may be wrong its supposed to be like 160+ on a newer engine?

grasping at straws..... weird it happened overnight though... Pisss off any witches?
                          Last edited by Tripwire; 04-24-2016, 05:54 PM.
                          Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• pyro
                            258 I6
                            • Sep 15, 2012

Its probably a little low as all the other plugs were left in. I was under the impression that a jumped chain would result in extremely low readings. The pic I attached above shows how my rotor is sitting at tdc. It doesn't look that far off (to me anyway).

When I shut it off the night befire, it didn't act up or diesel or cause anything that would concern me.
                            Last edited by pyro; 04-24-2016, 06:05 PM.
                            '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
                            '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

Comment

• pyro
                              258 I6
                              • Sep 15, 2012

Got a new cap and coil...no changes. Does the picture above look like it is off enough to affect startup?
                              '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
                              '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

Comment

Working...
                              X