International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 01-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Ph.D in Redneckology

Unhappy Saw a good 86 J20 go to the crusher.

A buddy called me Tuesday and said he had just seen a big Jeep pickup go by on a trailer heading for the local scrap yard. I went to the scrap yard and there sit a 1986 J20 with 124,000 on the ticker in running condition. The body was rust free other than a few spots of small surface rust. There was a small dent on the hood and the right front fender other than that it was fairly straight. The white paint was in average condition and the interior needed a good cleaning. It had a new radiator, new white spoke wheels, good Co-op tires, and all the glass was good. The only thing it needed was a battery. By the time I got there it had been processed thru and the guy that had sold it was about to leave. I asked why he scraped it and his answer "I don't need it anymore". It brought maybe $200 at scrap price. I asked the folks inside about buying it but they refused to sell vehicles that were brought in for scrap. The last I saw of it the claw was grabbing the roof with a crushing pinch as it was heading for the pile of crushed vehicles.
lllllll0
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo W/T 360/auto

1982 Cherokee Chief W/T 360/4 speed

I now have an official Muslim name...Ochroma Bin Polishin.

Click link for pics of restored Full Size Jeeps (on last page)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/363842\
Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Señor Jackhead

POOH!
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 01-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

NOOOOOO!!!!! Horible way to go

Sponsored by Jake's Full-Size Jeep Junkyard
Old 01-15-2010, 01:32 PM

what a stupid waste, it's a shame the scrap guy didn't have the sense enough to be entreprenurial and meet you outside for a little dealing.

1970 J4600, 350
1974 J10, AMC 258

Carolina FSJ website: (Flintster)
Old 01-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Master Mechanic

as these truck's age it's going to happen more often then not . . .

4 years ago, i myself crush 3 1950's Buick's because nobody wanted them i even tried giving them any, i offered 1 guy $300 to take them . . .

But a lass they had to go away the DNR & township was going to fine me $100.day for having 3 junk cars

DNR-" Vehicles deemed junk must be kept in doors, under cover and on pavement. IE: junk vehicle, and automobile in capable of operation on a public highway."

I was explain that, heres what i got -" expired tag's = junk flat tire/s = junk dead battery = junk any malfunction that keeps it from lawfully driving down the paved road will be classified as, also vehicles having no value other than Scrap or salvage will also be classified as junk"

they give you 2 option's pay $100 per day it sit's there or they come n recyle it at your expense

This is why salvage yards / Junk yards / pick n pulls ECT are becomming fewer every year and why there prices are steadily increasing . . .

DNR + town ship / city + tree hugging hippies = good vehicles recycled

Mike
1971 AMC/Jeep J4000DRW.
1983 AMC Eagle project SX/290.
1988 AMC/Jeep project MJ/343.
1989 Jeep GrandWagoneer.
1991 Dodge Ram-Charger.

A M C Means Jeep to me
Old 01-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC-J/20
as these truck's age it's going to happen more often then not . . .

4 years ago, i myself crush 3 1950's Buick's because nobody wanted them i even tried giving them any, i offered 1 guy $300 to take them . . .

But a lass they had to go away the DNR & township was going to fine me $100.day for having 3 junk cars

DNR-" Vehicles deemed junk must be kept in doors, under cover and on pavement. IE: junk vehicle, and automobile in capable of operation on a public highway."

I was explain that, heres what i got -" expired tag's = junk flat tire/s = junk dead battery = junk any malfunction that keeps it from lawfully driving down the paved road will be classified as, also vehicles having no value other than Scrap or salvage will also be classified as junk"

they give you 2 option's pay $100 per day it sit's there or they come n recyle it at your expense

This is why salvage yards / Junk yards / pick n pulls ECT are becomming fewer every year and why there prices are steadily increasing . . .

DNR + town ship / city + tree hugging hippies = good vehicles recycled

Mike

Not to get too far off topic but nothing makes me madder than people who mascarade as "enviromentalists" in order to perscribe their way of life on other people. You simply can't tell me that keeping an old vehicle running is not better for the "envrioment" than scrapping it and buying something new (how something which is not alive can have anything be "good" or "bad" for it still confuses me but let assume for the sake of arguement that things which are "good" for the envriroment are those things that make it more conducive to human life). I know the stuff is recycled but there is energy used in this process and TREMENDOUS amounts of energy are used to produce a new vehicle.
The production of motor vehicles may very well be hummanities biggest single endevor... Walking through a large auto plant is awe inspiring... A virtual CITY devoted to building cars... And there are TONS of them. Not that manufacturing new stuff is a bad thing... I think its a GOOD thing but throwing out a good car for "enviromental" reasons is not only hypocritical but it is wasteful and waste helps no one.

Current Status: Under construction. Phase 2.

86 Pathfinder Conversions "K-Van"

Current Status: Broke

Volkswagen rail buggy

Current status: Broke

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Current status: DDing
Old 01-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Master Mechanic

that's how the laws around here read weather its right or wrong don't really matter all 3 cars ran and drove, equipped the Buick duel carbed I-8 yes inline 8 . . . they got turned into Toyota's

Mike
1971 AMC/Jeep J4000DRW.
1983 AMC Eagle project SX/290.
1988 AMC/Jeep project MJ/343.
1989 Jeep GrandWagoneer.
1991 Dodge Ram-Charger.

A M C Means Jeep to me

Last edited by AMC-J/20 : 01-15-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Turbocharged Quandary

Sometimes scrap cost goes down. Sometimes up. I would think that the owner would be happy if someone wanted to pay more than $200 for that truck. I don't know what the laws are but if that J truck had a title, then I don't understand the problem. If they are short on cash, I hope that they look to this one and wonder why they didn't sell it for more than $200 when they had the chance?

1997 Mercury Mountaineer

AIM: derektjeep

dereksbicycles@gmail.com

224 805 0773 text message is the king!!!

Find me on facebook under Derek Troy
Old 01-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanstives
Not to get too far off topic but nothing makes me madder than people who mascarade as "enviromentalists" in order to perscribe their way of life on other people. You simply can't tell me that keeping an old vehicle running is not better for the "envrioment" than scrapping it and buying something new (how something which is not alive can have anything be "good" or "bad" for it still confuses me but let assume for the sake of arguement that things which are "good" for the envriroment are those things that make it more conducive to human life). I know the stuff is recycled but there is energy used in this process and TREMENDOUS amounts of energy are used to produce a new vehicle.
The production of motor vehicles may very well be hummanities biggest single endevor... Walking through a large auto plant is awe inspiring... A virtual CITY devoted to building cars... And there are TONS of them. Not that manufacturing new stuff is a bad thing... I think its a GOOD thing but throwing out a good car for "enviromental" reasons is not only hypocritical but it is wasteful and waste helps no one.

I can't agree more, that is why my property is filled with old cars and trucks waiting to be revived because it doesn't hurt anyone waiting, it doesn't cost much, and it will not add any polution to revive since all the parts to do so are on the same property waiting to be put together.