• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 80Limited
    232 I6
    • Feb 19, 2015

Carpet question

Just got some samples from Bjs not too impressed. I was hoping there was a thicker pile on the Essex. Is there any other options out there for thick pile carpet? I mainly need it for the cargo area in a 87 grand wagoneer in cordovan.
  • SOLSAKS
    304 AMC
    • Jul 25, 2016

call auto custom carpets ACC in anniston, alabama
    if they don't make it, it is not available

they make 95% of all resto carpet.

dave in nc
    SOLSAKS - dave
    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
    1982 J-10 Fleetside
    1988 grand wagoneer
    2004 RUBICON jeep
    Benson, NC

Comment

• MysticRob
      350 Buick
      • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by 80Limited
      Just got some samples from Bjs not too impressed. I was hoping there was a thicker pile on the Essex. Is there any other options out there for thick pile carpet? I mainly need it for the cargo area in a 87 grand wagoneer in cordovan.
      I thought about going the thicker Essex route, but the thicker the carpet, the more difficult it is to vacuum. I settled on the Cutpile stuff for my entire kit, as it's thick enough to look good and still easy enough to vacuum.

I figure you're trying to get as close to stock with new cargo area carpet as you can with your remaining areas, but you might think about checking on the condition of all your old stuff and just replace it all to match.

As Dave mentioned, ACC is the go-to source, and that's who BJ's and others use for their kits.
      --Rob--
      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• 80Limited
        232 I6
        • Feb 19, 2015

Originally posted by MysticRob
        I thought about going the thicker Essex route, but the thicker the carpet, the more difficult it is to vacuum. I settled on the Cutpile stuff for my entire kit, as it's thick enough to look good and still easy enough to vacuum.

I figure you're trying to get as close to stock with new cargo area carpet as you can with your remaining areas, but you might think about checking on the condition of all your old stuff and just replace it all to match.

I am not worried about the task of keeping it clean. All of my other carpet is in great shape. The cargo area is the only section I need to replace.

Comment

• Brynjminjones
          258 I6
          • Jun 11, 2017

I don't know how he's getting on with it, but there's a guy called Hal Daugherty who I believe was working on recreating the factory original carpets for late model GWs.

He's the same guy that created the Final Edition badges that BJs now sells.

It might be worth contacting him to see if he's gotten anywhere with it. I'm not sure if he's on this forum or not, but he's on Facebook as "Hal Doc Daugherty III"
          1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
          1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
          1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• MysticRob
            350 Buick
            • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by 80Limited
            I am not worried about the task of keeping it clean. All of my other carpet is in great shape. The cargo area is the only section I need to replace.
            I'd forgotten to mention, the new kits don't tie in to the "bench seat hump" from the floor pan anywhere close to the way they did stock. There's no separate tie-in carpet piece along that vertical section from the floorboard to the bench now, it's all one molded piece that terminates under the bench, with a separate cargo floor piece that simply lays on top of that. I don't any really good pics of that area, but the right side of this pic shows that one-piece transition:

--Rob--
            1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
            https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
            https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

Working...
            X