X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DarkMonohue
    Shakes hands with danger
    • Jul 01, 2012

Not knowing much of anything about packaged aftermarket EFI conversion kits, this is a guess, but a warning of "RPM stall" seems to indicate that the unit is not seeing any indication that the engine is turning over. One would assume the ECU is not seeing the signal from whatever sensor the system uses to report engine RPM.
    '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
    High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
      350 Buick
      • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
      Not knowing much of anything about packaged aftermarket EFI conversion kits, this is a guess, but a warning of "RPM stall" seems to indicate that the unit is not seeing any indication that the engine is turning over. One would assume the ECU is not seeing the signal from whatever sensor the system uses to report engine RPM.

Good call. I started at the distributor. disconnected the harness pulled the cap bumped motor until the rotor was pointing at #1.... Reinstalled cap pulled the #1 plug wire plugged harness back in put ignition key in the on position grabbed spare plug put it in the plug wire and rotated back and fourth the dist to see if plug would spark against metal. Nothing.....

Next I started looking for spark at the coil and found that the coil is not receiving a power signal from the ignition box harness for the coil.

The Ignition box is powered directly from the positive and negative on the battery. An extra ignition box came with it and it does the same thing. no coil power coming out.

Seems weird to me. There is a light on the box that glows orange. That probably has something to do with my problem. I assume.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
        Shakes hands with danger
        • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
        Seems weird to me. There is a light on the box that glows orange. That probably has something to do with my problem. I assume.
        Assume no more!

There's a little rudimentary troubleshooting guide in that document as well as a tech hotline to call. There aren't too many wires to trace if it comes to that.
        '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
        High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
          350 Buick
          • Aug 19, 2003

I have it wired like the pic. I need to grab my mulitmeter and confirm my keyed wire is correct. It has to have something to do with that.

I need to double check the ground from engine to frame also.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
            350 Buick
            • Aug 19, 2003

Super cool update:

After taking pics and asking questions on a sniper specific page my no spark problem is solved. It was too late to try to actually fire it up tonight. I really wanted to.

This is a used system that had a wire cut under the protective wire sheath. (I think it was from the other guy trying different components) and another one spliced on that went nowhere. I reconnected the wire and got the RPM signal back.

We are in for a few days of rain here so I will fire it up after this storm system passes and see if will move!

Next I will get all of the wires weather proof and routed in the permanent locations, then start working on the dash gauges.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Ooooooohhh yeah!!!! That is awesome!!!! Nice sleuthing !! Glad it was not something exspensive!!
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Driftwood
                350 Buick
                • Jun 12, 2000

I see the radio section of the dash has been cut out just like mine. I suppose it makes for easy installation of a newer single DIN radio head. I removed a stock AM/FM/CB radio several years ago from a Wag I found in the Pick and Pull. It was a nightmare getting it removed. The glove box had to come out first. Even then, the vent ducting behind the radio wouldn't provide enough clearance to remove the radio. After a mighty fight, I won. But now, I cannot install it into my wag because its dash has been cut up by the previous owner. Here's a link to my AM/FM/CB Radio

Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
                1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                  350 Buick
                  • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by Driftwood
                  I see the radio section of the dash has been cut out just like mine. I suppose it makes for easy installation of a newer single DIN radio head. I removed a stock AM/FM/CB radio several years ago from a Wag I found in the Pick and Pull. It was a nightmare getting it removed. The glove box had to come out first. Even then, the vent ducting behind the radio wouldn't provide enough clearance to remove the radio. After a mighty fight, I won. But now, I cannot install it into my wag because its dash has been cut up by the previous owner. Here's a link to my AM/FM/CB Radio

It had a single DIN radio that had seen better days. I found a clock block off plate and might put the switch panel back in where the ash tray is suppose to go. It was missing the glove box all together. Easy access. I removed an AM/FM stock radio out of one at a wrecking yard also.... Huge PITA with glove box in.

What are you going to do with the

cb?

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 19, 2003

I'm getting the gauges ready to go back in.

I'm also filling in the rust pits with spot filler on my glove box door.

A friend just bought this cool old bike. I figure there are a few bike fans on the forum.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                      304 AMC
                      • Jul 25, 2016

I like the gauges, is it Dakota digital ?

the engine turned panels are cool.

looks like you got glove box lid ready to prime/paint

really cool BMW motorcycle too.

dave in NC
                      SOLSAKS - dave
                      1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                      1982 J-10 Fleetside
                      1988 grand wagoneer
                      2004 RUBICON jeep
                      Benson, NC

Comment

• bkilby
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by Driftwood

Driftwood, have you looked into the Din repair kits?
                        DIN stands for "Deutsche Industrie Normen" which the Germans starting using to standardize radios in Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, and VWs in the mid 80’s.  It has since become the industry standard. These kits enable you to mount a RetroSound® Motor 1, Motor 2 or Motor 4 radio into vehicles that have been either altered to a
                        1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 25, 2016

WOW
                          I watched the video
                          that is a nice kit
                          and only 59.00

good heads up bkilby
                          SOLSAKS - dave
                          1982 J-10 Fleetside
                          1988 grand wagoneer
                          2004 RUBICON jeep
                          Benson, NC

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                            350 Buick
                            • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by bkilby
                            Driftwood, have you looked into the Din repair kits?
                            https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...ant=9357328643

That is a pretty cool option. Would it work with a factory radio or one of their retro radios only?

I have a really cool update!

The Beast runs again! It's almost weird because it is so quiet and very smooth. It has great cold oil pressure and really good vacuum.

Now that it runs It's time to button the wiring up and get the gauges installed.

Here are a couple pics from tonight.

Just condensation. no smoke!

I'm super happy. I took a video, I'll probably post it on FB on the jeep pages there.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                              304 AMC
                              • Jul 25, 2016

GOOD NEWS !!!!
                              SOLSAKS - dave
                              1982 J-10 Fleetside
                              1988 grand wagoneer
                              2004 RUBICON jeep
                              Benson, NC

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                                350 Buick
                                • Aug 19, 2003

It seems like it's going to be a few days of dealing with wiring.

Today I installed the powermaster 1 wire alternator. (mostly to support the sniper).

It's time to figure out the sniper and Dakota gauges. Does anyone have this set up? If so any pointers?

I have the 10 pin harness on the sniper, so it might be easy. I'm just not sure what to do about all of the existing wires behind the dash.

Because I reinstalled the front winch bumper I need to get the winch operating. The old solenoids are pretty crusty.

I bought a solenoid kit similar to the Allbright, I hope it works!

I'll be road testing it soon. Then it will be time to do the floors.

Comment

Working...
                                X