X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78 WIDETRAC
    350 Buick
    • Aug 19, 2003

I started working on the sniper system. Because I'm just going to use the robbmc surge tank for now, I decided to recess it into my drivers inner fender. I located the hyperspark box on the firewall and the coil on the drivers inner fender. I'm not 100% sure if my coil will stay there.

I have most of the parts coming to finish the sniper. My used unit did not come with the 02 sensor or harness, or the coolant sensor. Unless I misplaced them? I also need fuel filters and fuel injection fuel line.

I'm still thinking about what I'm going to do about the dash. It is pretty crusty. and has just that one rust hole.

Here are the pics

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
      350 Buick
      • Aug 19, 2003

I'm still waiting on the sniper parts. In the mean time I was able to use the old Makita battery trick to lower the rear window and with some patience and pb blaster "it" ( The tailgate ) opened for the first time in at least 10 years. This, I was really sweating - because of the passenger door latch foot being super rusty and seized.

All of my fuel lines are routed except the Fuel injection pressure hose to the sniper. I did change the 90's from the tight turn brass to a long radius earls. I hope it helps. Got my new plugs in, my dui live wires ran. I need to dig up an HEI style coil wire to finish those. Install the temp sensor and o2 stuff. finish the sniper wiring add some fuel. prime the robbMc tank and see what happens. I'm really hoping it happens this week.

Then its getting the dash repaired and re installed with the sweet dash pad Art threw in and the new to me dakota gauges. Then the windshield. Then the floors.
      Last edited by 78 WIDETRAC; 08-08-2020, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
        350 Buick
        • Aug 19, 2003

Still waiting on the final parts for the Fuel injection. They are suppose to be here by the 12th.

While waiting on that stuff I was able to order and get replacement floor pans and a windshield gasket, I have also been trying to get the dash looking better by removing as much rust as possible. That dash has deep surface rust in many spots. I'm now trying to strip the paint vs sanding it and then apply some evaporust. Keeping it wet will be my issue. It is warm here in the afternoon when I'm working on it.

I wish I could just swap it! The vin is attached so that seems like a bad idea.

I have a welder now so I'm going to figure it out how to use it and repair my dash rust hole. Hopefully that will happen in the near future! Rain will be here before I know it and I need that windshield back in.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
          350 Buick
          • Aug 19, 2003

Small update.

The fuel injection is super close to being done, all of the lines are ran filters are in, and psi gauge is on.

I need to get a battery and finish the wiring and add Fuel.

While I waiting on the last of the FI parts, I started messing with the brakes and shocks.

I Ordered shocks. The front ones showed up, the rears are drop shipped. I assume they will be here soon. I'm not sure what to go with for the steering stabilizer. I want to stay with the same brand "Bilstien" but am having a hard time locating one of theirs.

The Master cyl needs replaced, and brake fluid flushed. I'm also going to replace the front calipers and F/R rubber brake lines.

The dash is back in mostly, It's all fixed up and the holes for the pad are welded also. Because I'm not going to use the dash pad, I found a solution for the speaker hole. A decent three gauge pod. It needs trimmed to fit the contour of the dash top. but it was an easy solution. I got the idea from another FSJ'er.

I got the dropped pitman arm on.

I tried to install the windshield by myself.... It didn't happen. What a PITA! You need four hands or experience doing it.

I picked up a couple of storage bins someone made for an FSJ. I need to remove the spare tire bracket for the drivers side to fit properly.

So things are moving along, just a bit slow.
          Last edited by 78 WIDETRAC; 08-22-2020, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
            304 AMC
            • Jul 25, 2016

cool
            I like this rig.
            enjoyed the photos.

dave in NC
            SOLSAKS - dave
            1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
            1982 J-10 Fleetside
            1988 grand wagoneer
            2004 RUBICON jeep
            Benson, NC

Comment

• DarkMonohue
              Shakes hands with danger
              • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
              So things are moving along, just a bit slow.
              Things might not be moving as fast as you want, but you're still embarrassing a lot of us. About the only thing I manage to accomplish is growing an ever thickening layer of moss and lichen over the north side.

BJ's has braided steel brake lines. I always run them for improved pedal feel on my road cars and went with them on the J20 as well.

I don't want to sidetrack the build thread too badly, but what kind of welder did you end up with?
              '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
              Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
              High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Driftwood
                350 Buick
                • Jun 12, 2000

Those storage bins are awesome!
                1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                  350 Buick
                  • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
                  Things might not be moving as fast as you want, but you're still embarrassing a lot of us. About the only thing I manage to accomplish is growing an ever thickening layer of moss and lichen over the north side.

BJ's has braided steel brake lines. I always run them for improved pedal feel on my road cars and went with them on the J20 as well.

I don't want to sidetrack the build thread too badly, but what kind of welder did you end up with?

Thanks. I feel like I should have been able to fire it up by now. With a carb. I could have a while back. Heck I got the mud bog Golden hawks 6cyl to fire last weekend! That felt pretty darn good. AMC 6's are sturdy.

Anyway...... I have bj's braided lines. I don't want to put them on until the hard lines are flushed and running clear fluid.

My brother showed me pretty quick how to weld. He unlike me has been welding for many many years. I honestly forgot he had that skill set. I bought a campbell hausfeld. mig came set up with a tank and solid core wire, and an extra spool of flux core. It's a good one for me. I'm excited to get to the floor pans after its running and moving under it's own power.

My two Teenage daughters helped me install the front windshield today. That was pretty cool. They do show some interest in my jeep fascination, but not much.

I move the oil gauge into the pod. You can see what needs to get trimmed with this pic. It's flat, The dash is not.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by Driftwood
                    Those storage bins are awesome!

Thanks, It was a lucky score!

Comment

• SJTD
                      304 AMC
                      • Apr 26, 2012

Izat a windshield gasket that doesn't use the metal trim?

If so is it new?

If so where'd you get it???
                      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                        350 Buick
                        • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by SJTD
                        Izat a windshield gasket that doesn't use the metal trim?

If so is it new?

If so where'd you get it???

It does take the trim. I'm not going to use the trim. It is new and it came from bj's offroad.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 19, 2003

More progress, but no start up yet.

I'm working on the brakes. I have a master cylinder coming sometime soon I hope, I swapped the power booster for one I pulled out of the 86 parts wag.
                          That sucked. My hands were cramped and scraped up when it was all said and done. There is not much room between the booster and fire wall. I'm glad I have a 15mm open end wrench.

I installed bilstien shocks on all 4 corners, They seem upside down, But it says you need to have their name so you can read it.

I upgraded to wilwood front calipers, I have new rotors I have to get installed. along with bj's extended braided lines.

I added a fuel pressure gauge on the inlet side of the sniper.

I would like to get a dual post battery for all of the extra sniper wiring so its separate from my regular cables.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

Ooooh!!! Bilsteins and Wilwood??? Muy bien!! What is the part number for those calipers? Are they bolt on? Are you doing a replacement master cylinder or upgraded one?
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                              350 Buick
                              • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                              Ooooh!!! Bilsteins and Wilwood??? Muy bien!! What is the part number for those calipers? Are they bolt on? Are you doing a replacement master cylinder or upgraded one?

Just a stock replacement master cylinder.

Wilwood part # 14011290R This is the one. it is a direct bolt on for the FSJ. A couple of their kits look like they will work but it's all about the rotor thickness when looking up the wilwood calipers.

Most wilwood 70's& 80's gm calipers are the same design, but the truck calipers are built wider because our rotors are thicker. So the passenger car wilwood's will physically fit in rotor location without pads, but it just won't go over your rotor with pads in place.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                                350 Buick
                                • Aug 19, 2003

I have the sniper totally installed and turned the key for the first time in in many months..... It wont start. ugh! The hand held RPM reading says Stall, and doesn't change while cranking it.

I have to go back and verify that I set it up right in the hand held.

It feels good to at least turn it over. I bought the sniper used. It came with throttle body, coil, hyperspark distributor, sniper ignition box & mcrobb surge tank with pump. Fuel PSI is fine. I don't know if RPM stall means no spark or? The guy that had it was having some issues but his rig was at least running.

I'm going to keep looking online also.

Any pointers would be great. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X