• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SamGreazy
    232 I6
    • Jun 14, 2012

Fuel Lines Question

So, I bought a new fuel tank skid plate, had my tank cleaned, and am going to block off my mechanical and go electric fuel pump. I took off the old metal lines, and was thinking I would get some new bendable lines and bend them to match. But after the hassle of getting them out of the Jeep I am thinking about just putting some stainless steel lines on, or are there any other options? Also what size metal lines do I need to buy? or stainless?
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer -
    4 in Rusty's
    31x10.5
    Katzkin seat covers, headliner, and carpet
    work in progress - wondering when it stops!
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

The original lines were stainless and are 5/16 & 1/4"

You'll need pro quality tools if you replace w/ stainless.
    It's very hard to bend and darn near impossible to flare the ends.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
      360 AMC
      • Jun 16, 2010

I just ran braided steel AN fuel rated line. Easy peasy. Literally will take less than an hour to replace if I need to.
      Originally posted by FSJunkie
      Dr. Marneaus is now officially my idol.
      The Mag - The Wag

The Beast Build Thread:Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread
      1973 Wagoneer - 1987 360 w/ factory 4bbl - TH400 - D20 - D30/D44

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by babywag
        The original lines were stainless and are 5/16 & 1/4"

You'll need pro quality tools if you replace w/ stainless.
        It's very hard to bend and darn near impossible to flare the ends.
        I'm sure the original lines are zinc plated mild steel, not stainless. Same stuff that they sell at the parts store for brake lines.

Correct that SS is very difficult to work with. The mild steel line is ok though. You will need a good tubing bender.

If you want bendable tubing, the Nicopp or Cunifer line is great. Easy to bend and never corrodes. It is rather expensive compared to steel.

Summit and Jegs sells aluminum (!) tubing for fuel line, but I'm skeptical. Conventional wisdom says that aluminum (and copper) will work harden and crack eventually. Common to find warnings not to use copper for fuel line.
        Last edited by tgreese; 09-24-2013, 09:44 AM.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• itselliot
          350 Buick
          • Aug 28, 2010

Or you can spend $$ for really nice stuff

Inline Tube is the largest manufacturer of automotive preformed replacement brake lines and fuel lines with an extensive catalog of award winning restoration parts. From disc brake conversions to DIY kits, trust in the industry leading experts. Order online today!

They are great people to work with too.
          If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
          [email protected]
          616 four 03 44 0 five
          '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
          "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
          '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by tgreese
            I'm sure the original lines are zinc plated mild steel, not stainless. Same stuff that they sell at the parts store for brake lines.
            My '88, '89, and '90 were/are all stainless.
            Earlier rigs didn't come with stainless fuel lines but late model ones did.

I know the '79's I've owned weren't stainless.
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• J20 project
              304 AMC
              • Dec 27, 2000

Just a suggestion.

I was one of the many victims of vapor lock. Prior to the 02 Invasion, I decided to make sure that was not an issue for myself.

I welded 1/4 X 3/4 in bolts along the top edge of my frame on the outside of the frame. I used rubber covered loop retainers and hung a 3/8in brake line in these all the way from the tank to just outside of the fuel pump and at that point entered the engine compartment. I did use the original return line.

At any rate this appeared to fix my vapor lock condition as it allowed for the brake(fuel) line to be exposed to all the air flow in the world. The only heat exposure I have is the 6in where it 90s into the fuel pump.

The other thing is that the flared fittings can be adapted to hose barb fittings, etc. Very few hose clamps.

J20
              BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
              775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

Working...
              X