• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uglyjeepling
    350 Buick
    • Feb 01, 2003

QuadraTrac - Full Time or Part Time

OK. Since I had two treads talking about the same subject I am consolidating. Basically I am on the fence about going Full Time or Part Time with my 79' QT. There really is a lot of diversity when it comes to this subject. Some like PT some FT. This is what I am doing to my rig: SOA,Shackle Flip, Lockers, More HP, Torque Converter upgrade, 35" tires. I will be taking her wheelin on difficult terrain. Also, a lot of snow driving to the ski resorts.

So, I need a heap of real life experience with both Part Time QT and Full Time QT to make a smart decision. Thanks.
    Matt 'Captain 'insert new stupid thing I did here''

"H2's are like sphincters, they're all crappy...and now Chinese."

'79 WT Cherokee, Black Stock Rims, BJ's Aluminum Radiator, 31" Firestone Destination M/T, PowerTrax No-Slip Locker, Hurculined passenger area, Holley Electronic Fuel Pump, TFI!!

'64 Mercury Comet Cyclone. Stock.
  • uglyjeepling
    350 Buick
    • Feb 01, 2003

Back to top.

Come on, I know you all can put in your .02

'79 WT Cherokee, Black Stock Rims, BJ's Aluminum Radiator, 31" Firestone Destination M/T, PowerTrax No-Slip Locker, Hurculined passenger area, Holley Electronic Fuel Pump, TFI!!

Comment

• j vegas
      232 I6
      • May 10, 2004

Personally, I would prefer FT for snow and ice. But, if you have a clue behind the wheel, you can live without it. HOWEVER, rumour has it that, following a SOA, you must either convert to PT or pull the front shaft and E-drive it. Search for SOA and see what everyone else has to say on that topic.
      Jared

"Contrary to popular belief, beer is not a vice - its a daily discipline." -Hank Hill

Comment

• j vegas
        232 I6
        • May 10, 2004

As a matter of fact, look right here.

Jared

"Contrary to popular belief, beer is not a vice - its a daily discipline." -Hank Hill

Comment

• blt2krl
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Apr 03, 2001

Originally posted by uglyjeepling:
          OK. Since I had two treads talking about the same subject I am consolidating. Basically I am on the fence about going Full Time or Part Time with my 79' QT. There really is a lot of diversity when it comes to this subject. Some like PT some FT. This is what I am doing to my rig: SOA,Shackle Flip, Lockers, More HP, Torque Converter upgrade, 35" tires. I will be taking her wheelin on difficult terrain. Also, a lot of snow driving to the ski resorts.

So, I need a heap of real life experience with both Part Time QT and Full Time QT to make a smart decision. Thanks.
          Part Time the case. If your are going to wheel it hard you will like the ability to take the case out of 4 wheel if anything breaks. Plus you will never have to worry about worn clutch cones at=fter the swap.
          Paul Hartman
          79 waggoneer
          AMC360/TH-400/203/205
          DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
          39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
          www.cbioffroadfab.com
          WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• fulsizjeep
            Señor Jackhead
            • Aug 21, 2002

With 35s, ya prolly wanna go PT. But.........I would try it FT and see. The FT will do better in snow for sure. You can still lock it in on the tuff pulls. Can also pick up a replacement QT purty reasonable if ya bust it. Krista's dad has SOA on his 76 Wagoneer and just had longer front shaft built for the reach. FYI - PT kits are not cheap. I also assume you are regearing or already have for 35s. If you haven't, put the money there. You wanna have at least 3.73 or 4.10 for those tires.

Also - get some more info on QT here: http://frontier.net/~mystkblu/quadratrac
            These are good transfer cases...

[ August 09, 2004, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Flint ]
            Flint
            Ran when parked.
            http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
            76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
            http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Bob Barry
              Jeep Doctor
              • Apr 09, 2000

Backing up a bit, a SOA and a shackle-flip is a bit of overkill just for 35's, especially on a WT. You can get away with a 4" (or even 3") spring-only lift, play maybe a body-lift or some trimming, for the same price as a SOA/shackle-flip setup.

With a 4" lift, you could keep the FT setup and have all the advantages of the extra traction in the snow.

If you really are going to go large, it's often a better idea to swap transfer-cases (Chevy NP205, 208 or 241) than to convert the QT to PT.
              1987 J-20
              Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• uglyjeepling
                350 Buick
                • Feb 01, 2003

Well to the guys who say I should stay with the FT, Flint and Bob Barry. Well, I don't really have that now. It had the PTOD kit in it. I am definitly getting rid of that. So I am starting with nothing really. It is way to slugish with the OD kit in it.

As far as cost, Mile Marker stated that all I have to get to have PT now is the Sprocket not the internals. The PTOD and PT have intercagable parts. So the price won't be too bad to have PT.

With the PT, do you have to get out of the Jeep everytime you switch to 4x4? That might bite in the winter.

Food for thought, This case had the PT in it and they used ATF to lube it because that is what the conversion recommends. The viscosity if ATF is very low compared to Crown TCL-1. Does anyone else think that is bad. I would think the chain and bearings whould wear faster with ATF.

Bob Barry:
                With the SOA I am tring to get the articulation. Not really worried about tires clearing. I have seen a few with 35" and a SOA I thought it looked sharp.

Comment

• joe
                  • Apr 28, 2000

As far as cost, Mile Marker stated that all I have to get to have PT now is the Sprocket not the internals. The PTOD and PT have intercagable parts. So the price won't be too bad to have PT.
                  You'll need a new chain too. The OD unit uses a different chain than the non-OD unit.

With the PT, do you have to get out of the Jeep everytime you switch to 4x4? That might bite in the winter.
                  Just leave your hubs locked in once the weather gets bad.

Food for thought, This case had the PT in it and they used ATF to lube it because that is what the conversion recommends. The viscosity if ATF is very low compared to Crown TCL-1. Does anyone else think that is bad. I would think the chain and bearings would wear faster with ATF.

ATF is just fine for a part-time converted QT. ATF is in all other part-time or full time chain drive cases and works well. The only reason you needed the special juice earlier in a stock full-time QT was because of the clutch cones which you now no longer have.
                  joe
                  "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Bob Barry
                    Jeep Doctor
                    • Apr 09, 2000

Bob Barry:
                    With the SOA I am tring to get the articulation. Not really worried about tires clearing. I have seen a few with 35" and a SOA I thought it looked sharp.[/QB]
                    While I've heard increased articulation associated with going SOA, I think that only is true in comparison to other ways of getting comparable lift (i.e. stiffer lift-springs).

Everything else being equal, the front end is going to articulate the same distance whether the axle is mounted under or over the springs.

Of course, now there are lift-springs which are not as stiff as they used to need to be in order to achieve a given lift.

But yes, a WT does look good with 35's and 7" of lift, and since your QT is already PT, the extra height is not going to trouble you. I was just exploring possible ways you could run 35's and still keep the full-time mode. SOA or 6" lift-springs would NOT be one of the ways.
                    1987 J-20
                    Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• imported_Big Red
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 28, 2001

Part time! I loved mine!
                      1979 Cherokee WT, 360 4 barrel T18, Dana 20 twin-stick, SOA with a RB Shackle Flip, 4.27s, Hydroboost brakes, TFI upgrade, J-10 Rear axle w/rear Caddy disc brakes and 37" MTRs

Comment

• uglyjeepling
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 01, 2003

As far as cost, Mile Marker stated that all I have to get to have PT now is the Sprocket not the internals. The PTOD and PT have intercagable parts. So the price won't be too bad to have PT. </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by -joe:
                        You'll need a new chain too. The OD unit uses a different chain than the non-OD unit.
                        </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah that too. I already bought the chain before I took apart the QT not knowing that I had OD kit.

With the PT, do you have to get out of the Jeep everytime you switch to 4x4? That might bite in the winter. </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by -joe:
                        Just leave your hubs locked in once the weather gets bad.
                        </font>[/QUOTE]So just leave the hubs locked and I can run 4x2 with no problems? Just more wear and less milage right?

Originally posted by Bob Barry:
                        Everything else being equal, the front end is going to articulate the same distance whether the axle is mounted under or over the springs.
                        I guess your right, but there is just more room for tires to articulate.

Comment

Working...
                        X