• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wanablikemike
    232 I6
    • Nov 12, 2001

(TOM) What's the deal?

I have a '74 Cherokee narrow track with a AMC 304 and I'm guessing the TH400. I just bought it (I've given up on my '83 Chero) and the engine is perfect but everything else sux for now. The big problem I have to deal with right now is that I don't know how to engage the 4 wheel drive. What kind of transfer case comes on my Jeep and how does it work. I have locking hubs in the front and if I turn them to the "Lock" position, it locks up my entire front axle. Why is that? I've heard that you can't use locking hubs with a QT. Why? Is that what happens?
    I know that's a lotta ?'s but I'd really appreciate any help I can get on any of them.

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: Sitting Bull ]
    If I had a nickle for every Honda Civic I beat off the line ...<p>... I wouldn\'t have any nickles.

First off do you have a stick on the passenger side of the tranny hump? If not then you have a QuadraTrack. Unless it's been converted to be a part time case you'll burn up the viscous coupler(?) inside by not having the front axle engaged. The QT is designed to send torque to where it is needed, if the front tires aren't engaged it will think they need the power and will send everything up front, thus killing your t-case.
    Next, locking your hubs shouldn't *lock* your axle, all they are suppose to do is lock the wheels to the axle shafts so power from the transfer case can get to the road. If you axle is locking up as in not moving then there is something wrong with your hubs.

If I've got something wrong here please correct me,
    Anthony
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• wanablikemike
      232 I6
      • Nov 12, 2001

There are no levers on the floor and I guess that would be a good indication that it is full-time 4wd. The thing that I don't understand is that I thought that there was supposed to be some kind of vacume switch inside the glove box to activate the emergency drive function of the QT. I don't see anything like that in my glove box.
      If I had a nickle for every Honda Civic I beat off the line ...<p>... I wouldn\'t have any nickles.

Comment

• porkchop
        Master of B.S.
        • Apr 17, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cecil14:
        Unless it's been converted to be a part time case you'll burn up the viscous coupler(?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The QT has cones. It does not have the viscous couplers. I would have to say that some one put the part time in it otherwise there wouldn't be part time hubs on it.

DO you have a cable on the left hand side of the dash? The older QT's used a cable sytem to acuate them.

How do you know the front is locked up? Did you try to drive it and the front just skips along? Or did you jack it up and try to turn it? Just curious.

Comment

I hope this isn't the case..... ensure the axle gearing is matched.... if not... you will bind up BIG TIME and break something.....
          Todd
          www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• wanablikemike
            232 I6
            • Nov 12, 2001

Yes ... the first time I ever attempted to take it off-road (the day I got it home) I got out, locked the hubs, gave it some gas, and went nowhere. When I hit it a little harder the front just bounced and skid along. I had a buddy observe and according to him the front tires didn't turn at all so I doubt that it's just gearing.

Well ... I took the caps off of my hubs today to take a looksee at the gears to see if I could spot any obviouse problems but Ijust saw a whole buncha teeth. With a big pair of pliers I took ahold of on end of my axle and turned it (as much as the play would alow) and I could see the u-joint at the differential turning (moving) accordingly. So now I know that the axle isn't simply frozen in the housing, which I've been told was possible.

An interesting thing that I shold note is that when I move the vehicle in forward or reverse there is a little bit of play in either direction before the front end binds up. I don't know if this is really important or not but I really want to get this resolved. I miss the hills around my house.
            Thanx for the help guys.

Comment

• porkchop
              Master of B.S.
              • Apr 17, 2000

Have you pulled the cover off of the front diff yet to take a look. Sounds like the ring and pinion might be shot and binding.
              OUCH!

Comment

Yup That is what it sounds like a front Diff is blown. You could as porkchop has said pull the cover and look for damage, or Jack up the front end both wheels off the ground, disconect the front driveshaft at the diff, to take the T-case out of the possiblity of being the problem, and then try to turn the yolk on the diff if it will not turn then the diff is OUCH! as porkchop said. If it does turn then, get the rear wheels off the ground, Put Trany in Nuteral try and turn the front drive shaft on the T-case. This should help pinpoint where the lock up is occuring.

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Crazy_Jeepman ]
                Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
                Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

Working...
                X