• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Junkers456
    232 I6
    • Nov 30, 2020

Well, here goes...

Hey yall. So uh, pretty new here, and new to the Wagoneer scene too... then again, I'm new to just about all of this. I'm only 17, and as many assume of teenagers, fairly stubborn and ignorant. I have been doing light wrenching and fab work for about five years, know how to use a welder, and can tell you the differences between different gauges of wire (thanks dad).

Anyways. My pops and I recently acquired a 1979 Jeep Wagoneer, powered by the good ole AMC 258 mated to a three-speed. It has the quadra-trac 4x4 (I think that's what its called, not entirely sure), a ripped up interior, leaking fuel lines, and a few "weight reduction" mods here and there, probably more than it should have. The owner we bought it from is pretty heavily invested in the Wagoneer culture (no, I don't remember his name, sorry) and basically gave it to us, as he was VERY excited to see a younger guy want to get into wrenching. From what I gathered, it used to be a park ranger vehicle and then sold to some surfer dude (there was a few water sports themed stickers stuck to the glove box) before being left to rot into the ground. He picked it up, brought it back to South Dakota, and listed it soon after he found out how hard shop space would be to acquire. In comes dad and I, driving five hours from our home in North Dakota to grab it with a trailer.

It runs and drives as well as a 42 year-old car with a dog of an engine that is supplied via bad lines can. So yeah, that's our story. We plan to do an engine swap, body work, and interior stuff, with a bunch of stuff sprinkled in between. Pictures are coming, and I'll be posting other places for ideas and feedback. Thanks for reading, and here's to a good year!
  • SOLSAKS
    304 AMC
    • Jul 25, 2016

welcome JUNKERS456

sounds like a good project for you guys.

I dont assume you are any of those bad adjectives you mentioned.

actually the opposite.....

I admire you,.....sounds like you are a lot better at wrenching than me and I am and old geezer at 50,.....

you picked a good vehicle to work on,...

simple,... compared to todays "tech overload" on vehicles.

you will have no problem figuring the FSJ out.

new parts,......BJ's offload is your friend,....best supplier in my opinion

and a lot of super nice folks on here to help you along.....

dave in NC
    SOLSAKS - dave
    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
    1982 J-10 Fleetside
    1988 grand wagoneer
    2004 RUBICON jeep
    Benson, NC

Comment

• MysticRob
      350 Buick
      • Nov 26, 2019

Pics now, or ban this young whippersnapper (whatever the hell that is)!
      Looking forward to seeing your progress. Sounds like yours is in the same shape mine and a lot of others are around here.
      Great thing, this site has a ton of great people with a wealth of knowledge to help.
      --Rob--
      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

WELCOME!!! You picked a good rig to start on! Not so nice you can't mess with it and put your touches on yet not such a turd, it's embarrassing to drive. Good on you! Tell all you buddies to get one, too. So you can all wrench together. or not, Then you will have the baddest 4WD in town when everyone else is driving trucks with $3k worth of lighting on them.

One correction: when you say "3 speed" you mean, 3 speed automatic, right? QT only came behind a TH400 automatic (3 speed automatic trans). If it has a 258 and an automatic trans, it probably used to have a 360 and the 6 cyl got swapped in at some point. Both are good engines.

But if you have a 3 speed manual transmission, you do not have a QT. Which is ALSO good!

Here are some how-to's for posting photos:
        I've noticed some threads come up about people having problems posting photo's to the site here. I have always found it pretty easy, but I figure I can show others (with pictures;) )how I do it, and maybe we can get some more pics of some kick ass Jeeps here! Generally, this process should work the same way from other 3rd party

The second link has 2 different methods.

Anyway, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Junkers456
          232 I6
          • Nov 30, 2020

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
          WELCOME!!! You picked a good rig to start on! Not so nice you can't mess with it and put your touches on yet not such a turd, it's embarrassing to drive. Good on you! Tell all you buddies to get one, too. So you can all wrench together. or not, Then you will have the baddest 4WD in town when everyone else is driving trucks with $3k worth of lighting on them.

One correction: when you say "3 speed" you mean, 3 speed automatic, right? QT only came behind a TH400 automatic (3 speed automatic trans). If it has a 258 and an automatic trans, it probably used to have a 360 and the 6 cyl got swapped in at some point. Both are good engines.

But if you have a 3 speed manual transmission, you do not have a QT. Which is ALSO good!

Here are some how-to's for posting photos:
          I've noticed some threads come up about people having problems posting photo's to the site here. I have always found it pretty easy, but I figure I can show others (with pictures;) )how I do it, and maybe we can get some more pics of some kick ass Jeeps here! Generally, this process should work the same way from other 3rd party

The second link has 2 different methods.

Anyway, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!
          As far as I and the previous owner know, no swap has been done. It may be a three with overdrive, not sure. As I said, I will be posting pictures here soon. But its is most definitely a manual, that much I know
          Last edited by Junkers456; 01-04-2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Junkers456
            232 I6
            • Nov 30, 2020

Im sure you have much more experience than I do! And the simplicity and interchangeability was one of the main reasons for choosing the wagon, other than the fact they look as cool as all get out. And I’ll definitely be checking out that site, as parts... well, shes going to be needing a few here and there

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Copy that! We'll standby for pictures. If it is a manual transmission, it does not have a QT...unless there is some sort of rare one off adapter or back yard engineering going on. The QT is a cool case, but if you don't have one, you are much better off!
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Junkers456
                232 I6
                • Nov 30, 2020

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                Copy that! We'll standby for pictures. If it is a manual transmission, it does not have a QT...unless there is some sort of rare one off adapter or back yard engineering going on. The QT is a cool case, but if you don't have one, you are much better off!
                If you haven’t seen, the new pictures are posted
                Last edited by Junkers456; 01-05-2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Bob Barry
                  Jeep Doctor
                  • Apr 09, 2000

Where have you posted the pictures? We can't see them in this thread.
                  1987 J-20
                  Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• Junkers456
                    232 I6
                    • Nov 30, 2020

Originally posted by Bob Barry
                    They

Comment

• chubbinius
                      258 I6
                      • Oct 31, 2018

Originally posted by Bob Barry
                      Looks like his reply got bit by the apostrophe bug.

Here is the link to his pictures in the General Discussion forum -
                      I posted earlier today in the "Introduce Yourself" thread, promising pictures. I may be stubborn, but I ain't no liar, so here they are! This first one is Olga (yes, that's what I named her) on the trailer ready to go home [url=https://flic.kr/p/2kpbJ4w] The rest of these are of the engine bay, interior, and the
                      1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
                      -Dauntless 350 V8
                      -D27 front/D44 rear
                      2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• nograin
                        304 AMC
                        • Dec 19, 2000

Forum tips:
                        If using a recent browser - and I'll assume most phones - some key combinations cause the rest of the message to get cut off. I usually just use an old browser, but there are other work arounds, such as edit and then cut and paste from text editor. I often copy the post before hitting 'submit', just in case it fails and I can't retrieve by going 'back'.

Photos: if using Flkr to host, then cut use their share for UBB. For services which still have *.jpg URL cut and paste that into the picture dialog box. Or manually surround it with the UBB code. [img] url [/img]

Tips:
                        Get a 1979 Service Manual.
                        There might be a digitzed version at Tom Collin's Ol' Jeep website, and for paper copies see if Bishko or BJ's Off Road has one for that year.

The Haynes Full size Wagoneer, Cherokee, J-truck book is actually pretty good. IMO worth buying.

There is a plate with stamp coded info for the engine, drivetrain, paint colors and a few other things. Look in the engine bay.

The AMC straight six will deliver decent gas milage for a vehicle of this size.
                        It won't provide quick acceleration onto the interstate, or when high speed passing. Not a bad trade-off IMO.

Take your time to see what you got and what really needs fixing.
                        '85 Grand Wagoneer
                        360 727auto, NP229
                        body by beer (PO)
                        carries wood inside
                        no "wood" outside
                        My other car is a fish

Comment

• nograin
                          304 AMC
                          • Dec 19, 2000

Originally posted by chubbinius
                          Looks like his reply got bit by the apostrophe bug.

Here is the link to his pictures in the General Discussion forum -
                          http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...13#post1725313
                          Thanks!
                          '85 Grand Wagoneer
                          360 727auto, NP229
                          body by beer (PO)
                          carries wood inside
                          no "wood" outside
                          My other car is a fish

Comment

• Junkers456
                            232 I6
                            • Nov 30, 2020

Originally posted by nograin
                            Forum tips:
                            If using a recent browser - and I'll assume most phones - some key combinations cause the rest of the message to get cut off. I usually just use an old browser, but there are other work arounds, such as edit and then cut and paste from text editor. I often copy the post before hitting 'submit', just in case it fails and I can't retrieve by going 'back'.

Photos: if using Flkr to host, then cut use their share for UBB. For services which still have *.jpg URL cut and paste that into the picture dialog box. Or manually surround it with the UBB code. [img] url [/img]

Tips:
                            Get a 1979 Service Manual.
                            There might be a digitzed version at Tom Collin's Ol' Jeep website, and for paper copies see if Bishko or BJ's Off Road has one for that year.

The Haynes Full size Wagoneer, Cherokee, J-truck book is actually pretty good. IMO worth buying.

There is a plate with stamp coded info for the engine, drivetrain, paint colors and a few other things. Look in the engine bay.

The AMC straight six will deliver decent gas milage for a vehicle of this size.
                            It won't provide quick acceleration onto the interstate, or when high speed passing. Not a bad trade-off IMO.

Take your time to see what you got and what really needs fixing.
                            Copy that. The six in this particular example is... well, its a dog. And I would just really like to do a swap, as from what I've heard the experience you can get from a swap is invaluable. Also, who wouldn't like a sleeper wagon? Just a really cool idea IMO.

Comment

Working...
                            X