International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 10-10-2019, 11:51 PM
232 I6

Dave, those are the Phoenix Graphix kit. There is a white paper backing on the back and a clear backing on the front. Remove the backing paper, align, squeegee bubbles out. Then when set, slowly pull off the clear on top to leave decals in place on truck.

Yes the lines you see are puckers or bubbles in the clear application sheet. I just unrolled them quickly and taped them up to inspect them in the pic. The instructions say to spread them out and weight them flat days in advance of install. I am happy with the quality. Their customer service has been excellent.

And yes, I am scared to death to put these on for fear I might ruin them in the process. Going to be a spring thing with 2 people.

RWS,I have deep seated issues, so do not feel bad. I work on something for this truck most nights, an hour or 2. Grateful the shop is an hour and a half a way, because if it was in my regular garage my wife would have me committed. I confess, I get pretty wound up the evening before I head up to do the big work. Gives me something to look forward to all week.

Fleet Fox

Last edited by FleetFox : 12-05-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:45 PM
350 Buick

fleetfox

I understand about being nervous before installing decals
heck, I have been doing it for 30 years here at the sign shop
and I still get nervous,... I got so nervous installing a sheet of NOS woodgrain
on my wagoneer that I tore it, and messed it up while installing !!!

and you are correct.
phoenix grafix is a good company,...
I put my first kit by them on approx 28 years ago

...they use great material and ink.

you are going to have a very unique honcho.
I have enjoyed your build photos, etc.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 11-26-2019, 10:56 PM
232 I6

Back after a long while, my apologies to those following this thread. OK so All the major painting is done at this point. The exterior clear coat had a bunch of flaws so I spend some of my work time buffing and cutting. But the big news is we finally got the drive train set:

This:

[/url]1020191532a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then this:

[/url]1025192251a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

to this:

[/url]1027190030 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Feels so right. Now the big challenge is getting all the modifications to work together. The drive train is 3" longer than stock, so the drive shafts need to be altered, the shifter mechanism also. In addition, I still need to gather a bunch of TH400 parts to complete the swap. Shift linkage, inspection cover, kickdown switch, and a few little things. If someone out there has these pieces and would like to part with them PM me. My list gets longer and I have not been able to find a parts truck in our local Pick and Pull in months. But I digress.

So the last few weekends I've been bolting accessories back on the motor and futzing with the trans mount to get that right. I'm also working on the Aux fuel tank set up. I will take pics of the that in the next few weeks.

The current schedule consists of sound/ thermal proofing the cab. The brakes and parking brakes need to be finished. Which is messy too because i swapped the Dana 60 in. In the meantime the focus at home during the week is the steering column and the wiring harness.

Exhibit A:

[/url]1118192237 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm switching to a 1986 column with many of the functions on the stalk. I also grabbed most of the wiring harness when I found it thankfully. So I've been tracing and replacing wires circuit by circuit into the 1982 harness. So far the high beams have been moved, the cruise control,a few other updates. The high beams I'm torn on, I like the foot switch. I may try to splice it so I have both if that's possible. I am also going to use pieces from the 86 harness to effectively do an ammeter bypass.

More pictures, I promise, the next few weeks. Thanks for reading.

Fleet Fox
Old 11-27-2019, 05:03 AM
232 I6

It always feels great to drop the engine and trans into your project.

I see you have the required tools and stuff on the workbench to have that steering column tore apart. Lubricant, cleaner, paint, and the required frosty beverage in a coozy cup. Taking apart one of the things will make you drink a few.

She's going to be a sweeeet ride, keep the pics a coming.
2003 Durango 4x4
1982 CJ7 4 banger
2008 MB E320 Bluetec
Old 12-04-2019, 11:57 PM
232 I6

So RWS you may have jinxed me there! just kidding, it took 3 or 4 tries but the column is all back together and everything seems to be working correctly. I did take some time over thanks giving weekend and paint some interior parts with the dye. The usual, 2 hours of prep, 10 minutes of actual painting. I use a tiny cheapo airbrush for this stuff. It's been a handy tool, even for fixing some of the small screw ups in my exterior paint job. I recommend it to anyone over aerosol cans and the like.

[/url]1130191440 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]1130191440a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Snuck a day in up in the shop in the last week and got some little stuff done. Most of it revolved around sound deadening and sonic/ thermal proofing in the cab I need to get the firewall pad installed in order to really move forward with the brakes, hvac, electrical and steering. Aaaannnd in order to do that, the floor needs to be done first basically. So here we are...

[/url]1203191347a_Burst01 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]1203191347 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]1203191349 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

The last pic shows more detail of the cowl insulation. Dynamat and bitumen mats should quiet the vibrations, foam and foil pad should keep a lot of the heat and cold out.

So slow going right now it's almost painful. After a year of shaping, sanding and painting body parts I'm aching to put everything back on. It's just so much easier to get all this nitpicky stuff done with the panels off. It's all sitting in a spare room in the house, just waiting. I swear i have been putting more stuff IN the room lately than taking out. It's coming together though, my OCD is in full throttle mode, which is fine. The jeep is covered in post it notes, masking tape notes and index cards taped everywhere so I don't forget stuff. But soon, soon, it will start to look like a truck again.

Thanks for following,

Fleet Fox
Old 12-05-2019, 10:56 AM
350 Buick

like the Kool-aid character used to say :

"OH YEAH"

I love doing the small interior detailing, dyeing, etc.

but cosmetic work is about the only thing I can do,

not much of a mechanic.

your build is looking good.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 12-25-2019, 11:40 PM
232 I6

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays everyone! Been really busy with life this time of year as most of us are, but time to sneak in a little update. Lots of small stuff has gotten done.

Shortened the shifter rod for the transfer case:

[/url]1208191411 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Formed new brake lines for the rear axle:

[/url]1215191406a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Added the drag link in. The shackles haven't rolled forward yet because there's not enough weight on the chassis. A little surprised by that:

[/url]1215191641 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Random shot of the transmission and transfer case mounting:

[/url]1215191642a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Still haven't gotten this mess connected yet, but at least the parts are all in one place...

[/url]1215191407 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cab work. A lot of this is just fitment. I don't love the dye I used for the tans. I think it will clash with the Nutmeg seats I plan on putting in. Going to wait until the seats are done and likely re-dye everything.

[/url]1208191500a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]1215191406 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Trying to get out for a day or 2 this weekend to get more small stuff done. Items on the list include installing master cylinder, working on the parking brake cables, bolting some more stuff on the engine, and finish sound/temp proofing the cab. Stay tuned.

Fleet Fox
Old 12-26-2019, 06:54 AM
232 I6

Oh I will surely stay tuned to this. Looks very nice so far.

Have you considered putting a track bar in the front? My front springs are like yours, pretty arched up. Before I put the track bar back in I had some serious bump steer and it wanted to wander around a little. Track bar took care of almost all of it.

Steering columns=
2003 Durango 4x4
1982 CJ7 4 banger
2008 MB E320 Bluetec
Old 12-26-2019, 10:23 PM
232 I6

I am considering it RWS, I know these springs will be stiff as all get out. I was going to wait and see after I bolted the body panels on and re-asses. There's at least 1000 more pounds to go back on the truck, Could you post a pic of your track bar set up please?

Fleet Fox
Old 12-27-2019, 06:36 AM
232 I6

I will. It is actually the factory track bar that came on the 89. I had to cut the bracket off of the front axle and weld it on the older front axle that I used. I also extended the bracket on the axle to match the lift.

I'll get some pics today.
2003 Durango 4x4
1982 CJ7 4 banger
2008 MB E320 Bluetec
Old 01-21-2020, 10:49 PM
232 I6

Been blabbing in other people's threads and haven't updated this one. Not much really to see in pics, but here is what's been done.

The Interior is fully sound/ heat proofed.
The brakes are finally 100% complete and bled
The parking brake hardware is 100 % installed.
All the accessories are on the motor.
Radiator is in and plumbing is 90% done.
I have a workable engine harness to start the motor.
Transmission and transfer case linkages are complete.
Front and rear light harnesses are installed and working...mostly
Aux Gas tank is kinda plumbed/ wired.
A few pieces of sheet metal back on.

Boring pics to attest:

[/url]0104201853 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]0120201734a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]1229191400a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Forgive the spaghetti, there is a logic to it...

[/url]0119202130 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

What's on deck for the next month, or so.

transmission cooler and lines
re prime engine oil pump and block/heads
test start motor.
finish alternator bypass wiring
build Serehill headlight relay harness
Figure out carb linkage
Install bed
Install primary fuel tank
Finish all fuel tank plumbing and wiring with crossover valve/ switch
more front sheet metal
have new driveshafts built and balanced

Honestly, this should take me through March. In the meantime some things have been dropped off at the Upholstery shop, those should be done in a few weeks. Once I get those back I can finalize the rest of the color palette inside and get moving there. In the meantime I am also rebuilding the vent window assemblies.

If the weather is decent in the next couple of weekends I'll drag it back outside and take some better pictures. There's just not enough room in the shop right now.

Fleet Fox
Old 01-22-2020, 01:59 PM
350 Buick

OH MAN !!!

a super nice j10 for sure !!!!

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 03-29-2020, 09:11 PM
232 I6

Still here, still plodding away. There just hasn't been much to post about lately. Been plumbing and wiring. vent lines , vac canister lines, fuel lines. Mostly though it's been wiring. Modifying the original wire harness to accept all the new power accessories and the earlier transmission swap has proven to be a real challenge. I continue to plod along sometimes 2 steps forward sometimes 3 backward. When i get frustrated, I work on something else . Will post some new pics next time. promise.

Fleet Fox
Old 03-30-2020, 01:59 PM
Administrator

I feel your pain! I hate wiring. But it's nice when everything works correctly!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 04-05-2020, 07:22 PM
232 I6

Thanks Rang. At this point, the harness is back in, tentatively. Going to get the headlight/ horn harness 100%. Then finish up the engine harness. After that it will be circuit by circuit until I'm confident everything is at least 90%. I need to set a goal with this, cause the last few weeks I've just been futzing with it and not really making progress. I really want to dial the timing in and have the motor starting and running consistently, so maybe that's what I need to focus on right now. I did invest in a good Fluke meter on the advice of a friend. It's nice have a tool like that you know you can trust.

This pic may illustrate my current frustration:

[/url]0404201308 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Not as bad as it looks, everything is tagged and mostly separated into function groups. Still get a little vertigo when I stare at it though.

So it's my practice to move onto something else and return later when I hit a wall. Spring is here, so I rolled her out of the shop for a little UV bake.

[/url]0404201307a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Started grinding a little on the left step to get the contour better. Still not happy with the paint/ clear on the bed sides after hours of buffing and cutting. I may just reshoot them later (uggh).

[/url]0404201307 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

And now a word from our sponsor...

[/url]0404201307b by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

One of the parallel tracks I have been moving on is renovating the original A/C system. Replacing the condensor core, evap, core, drier, evap valve, adding a low pressure switch, having new hoses made AND updating to Sanden unit with new service valves to run 134a. I have had a ton of help so far on this from SonarEd on the other forum. He has a shop that does everything, but also does a lot of hot rod A/C etc..
Why A/C now? well, seeing as the drier and condensor, plus 2 hoses are behind the valence in front; it just seemed to make sense.

[/url]0301201534 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

More updates soon. After parts start arriving and I get the wires in front of the firewall all done. Then more sheet metal.

Thanks for listening,

Fleet Fox
Old 04-06-2020, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Nice Progress!
Old 04-06-2020, 09:09 PM
232 I6

Oh man, I feel like I've been busted by the principal... Thanks SC. I've had this motor since september and have only run it for a few short minutes. I really need to get my a$$ in gear over here. 4 day weekend coming up, I'm on a mission now.

Fleet Fox
Old 04-06-2020, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetFox
Oh man, I feel like I've been busted by the principal... Thanks SC. I've had this motor since september and have only run it for a few short minutes. I really need to get my a$$ in gear over here...
BBWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 04-06-2020, 09:46 PM
232 I6

Great and now the Vice Principal! who dropped in his motor, fixed all the glitches and got it turn key faster than you can say "Aloha!" 3 days until I'm back in the shop...I am properly motivated now.

Thanks guys,

Fleet Fox
Old 05-31-2020, 08:52 PM
232 I6

Ok back after a brief hiatus. So after test running the motor, figured out the trans had no reverse. So out it came. and the transfer case. So long story not as long, it went to a local shop for a correct rebuild and a new torque converter. Then both went right back in.

[/url]0502201955 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Once that was squared away, all of the external wire harnesses are now complete and working. Including the engine bay harness. I also upgraded to a Serehill type harness with powered relays and Hella H4s.

[/url]0523201941 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]0523202228 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]0523201942 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Some more of SonarEd's work here about to be hidden by the valence. Rebuilt hoses matching the originals, new drier and a low pressure switch at the drier wired into the stock system. I just need to get a 90 degree plug to
squeeze behind the valence. I have some other shots of new AC parts i will post down the road a bit.

[/url]0523201942a by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]0523201942b (1) by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

So with all that stuff behind the curtain finally squared away. On went the valence and the right front fenders. Pretty happy about that bit of progress considering everything was painted by October and has been sitting in a guest bedroom since.

[/url]0517201917 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]0523202219 by highsiera, on Flickr[/IMG]

Next steps are cleaning up and painting the brush guard, warn bumper and rollbar which are all back from the sand blaster. Then reassembling the doors and onto messing with the fiberglass Sport sides.

Thanks for reading,

Fleet Fox