International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 10-14-2018, 09:27 AM
230 Tornado

1988 Wagoneer Starter Relay Battery Plug Connections

On my 88 trying to join together the correct red wire that begins from the alternator plug in (Red and Yellow from the plug) and then fuses together one going to the starter relay fuseable link and the other extending to the 30 amp fuse that deadends to a plug of multiple red wires that hits the firewall. Trouble is trying to mate the correct Red Wire. From what I can see one may be the red wire extending to the ignition switch or the red wire to the 30Amp fuse. Anyone have any idea of the position points on the plug that hits the firewall? Which is which?
Old 10-16-2018, 08:35 PM
304 AMC

This is '86. '88 is going to be a little different, but the 12SI alternator works the same way.

So here, and then follow the link Tom Collins Electrical page and find wiring diagram for '88. It will have the position in the bulkhead connector for yours.

http://www.heritech.org/wagoneer/mggw5a.html

Notice the red wire in the alternator connector matches the 2 on the alternator. This wire senses the system voltage. So it must be connected to the stud where the battery and alternator also connect.

The other wire (brown in these diagrams) connects at terminal 1. (The connector only goes on one way so they can't be mixed up.) This wire energizes the magnetic field when the key is in Run.

The voltage regulator decides how much current goes into the magnetic field based on what it senses. It also has an internal circuit that redirects some of the alternator's output back to the field. So then it doesn't need power to come the long way around through the key switch. But it also means that diverted power could be feed igntion even when the key is turned off. The resistance wire prevents that from happening. That's a section of non-stranded wire, sometimes pretty long.
carries wood inside
no "wood" outside
My other car is a fish
Old 10-17-2018, 07:46 AM
out of order

http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html
bottom of page full 1988 wiring diagrams