• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 8man
    304 AMC
    • Jan 04, 2011

Bolts and their torque questions

I have been through the TSM and I must be getting old and senile because I can't find the torque for a number of bolts.

First, a picture of a redneck spreader -

Yes I got to work on the Jeep yesterday for the first time since surgery. I got the front springs in place - with the help of my redneck spreader, and was going to mount the front axle so I would have a rolling frame.

You noticed I said "was"! I have the mounting bracket for the front steering stabilizer from the 79. The piece in question mounts between the spring and the bracket on the bottom of the spring. The other end mounts on the tie rod arm (the long one). Well I have not painted the bracket, so the frame sits atop the front axle waiting for me to paint. Then I realized this is from the 79 frame with the passenger drop and I'm going with the 82 with the driver's side drop and so it needs to be re-built to work. I'm going to try it, we'll see if I use it or go with the 82 steering stabilizer.

Now for some bolt and torque questions.

I got the TGW spring and shackle bolt package. There were no lock washers in the package. Should there be lock washers?

Also, what torque should they be set at?

What is the torque setting for the bolts holding the cross member to the frame?

Where do you get body bolts? What should the torque be?

Motor mount bolts, what torque on them?

Thanks for the help.
    79 Cherokee S (current project)
    82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
  • pcoplin
    232 I6
    • Feb 17, 2013

The torque rating is based on the bolts themselves, mostly.

Just use a torque chart. See here: http://www.repairengineering.com/bolt-torque-chart.html

After awhile you get a good feel for torque though. I only use a torque wrench on the lug nuts, differential, and internal motor parts.

edit: for body mount bolts I just compress the bushings some.
    85 Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
    98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
    01 F250 Powerstroke
    ***Space saved for a J-truck***

Comment

Working...
    X