UPDATE: Fix one thing, another breaks... STORY TIME!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gas Pumper
    232 I6
    • Jun 30, 2009

UPDATE: Fix one thing, another breaks... STORY TIME!

UPDATED: See Post #21. Story time... ('81 360 w/ Edel Performer Intake and Edel 1406 Carb / TF727)

When I bought my waggy, it made this horrible noise from the front of the engine. It made a grinding noise, and after poking around for a bit, I figured it was either the power steering pump or water pump...
    The other day I'm driving home and the engine temp gauge is going up rather quickly. I'm almost home so I continue driving. Right as I'm pulling down my street, the engine starts to sputter and "miss." I park it for a few weeks figuring that the water pump was toast and was starting to seize, causing the sputter.

So, today I get around to replacing the water pump. It was pretty easy, except the power steering pump bracket coming off that one stud. Halfway through the tear down, I find that there was excessive play in the pump (talking 1/8" movement no matter where I tug!). So, I replaced the pump, belts and even ripped out the disfunctional AIR pump while I was in there.

I get it all put back together and take it for a test drive. Once the engine warmed up, it started to sputter again. At first, I thought it was my transmission because I have a knack for transmission problems. Check the fluid, which was a little low, and drove again. I started to go up a medium grade hill and within 30 feet, the engine died. I thought I flooded it. It just would not start. I let it sit for about 20 minutes and tried starting it, which it wouldn't. I finally got it to start after about 20 seconds of cranking and giving it gas (about 50% throttle). I put it in gear and it felt like it was only running on 5 cyclinders, it was horrible. This only seems to be happening if there is any load on the engine at all. I limped it home and now here I sit typing. I didn't touch the carb the whole time I worked on the pump and it was fine before, so I dunno.

Short story / Symptoms: Engine sputters or dies when under load. Hard to restart after the last time it died (flooded?). Spewed out a bunch of black stuff all over the ground when I started it cold. I did get rid of the really bad grinding noise though.

Anyone has any ideas? My father-in-law suspects a coil going out?
    Last edited by Gas Pumper; 03-11-2010, 12:27 PM.
    FSJ-less...
    ...at the moment...
  • Cappicaper
    232 I6
    • Oct 27, 2008

Once in my life I had a coil that went bad. It would work fine until it got warmed up and then would die. After waiting and letting it cool it would fire right back up and run fine...until it heated up again. Might be worth throwing another one in just to rule it out.

I would guess the black stuff as just flooding after cranking it so long. You could also check the engine oil level. I have had motorcycles leak fuel past the needle and seat and fill the crankcase which will spew and spew black out the tail pipe.
    78 Wagoneer, 401, Turbo400, QT, Posi Rear, 4" lift, 33X10.5 BFG
    69 Gladiator, Buick 350, T18, 14B, 44HD, Cross-over HIgh Steer, Hydroboost, 6" Lift, QR78 Buckshots
    63 CJ5, 302 Ford

Owner Buckstop Truckware, Inc
    www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• Gas Pumper
      232 I6
      • Jun 30, 2009

Might try the coil. The black was never smoke, it was like soot on the ground. Don't know if that makes a difference.

EDIT: All fluids full and clean.
      Last edited by Gas Pumper; 03-07-2010, 07:01 PM.
      FSJ-less...
      ...at the moment...

Comment

• Cappicaper
        232 I6
        • Oct 27, 2008

Doesn't sound like fuel in the crankcase - that actually spits black drips everywhere. It does sound really rich though. Is the choke turning off?
        69 Gladiator, Buick 350, T18, 14B, 44HD, Cross-over HIgh Steer, Hydroboost, 6" Lift, QR78 Buckshots
        63 CJ5, 302 Ford

www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• Gas Pumper
          232 I6
          • Jun 30, 2009

Originally posted by Cappicaper
          Doesn't sound like fuel in the crankcase - that actually spits black drips everywhere. It does sound really rich though. Is the choke turning off?
          Well, like I said it looks like soot, but it was raining and it did "run" when it got wet. I was thinking its running way too rich as well. The Edel 1406 is electric choke and when I broke down I checked it and it was almost closed, so I think its ok.

If its leaking fuel, is a carb rebuild the best way to fix this? Is it leaking into the oil you think? Thanks!
          FSJ-less...
          ...at the moment...

Comment

• azpackrat
            350 Buick
            • Oct 20, 2009

Since this all happened after overheating, my money would be on a blown head gasket, warm it up, pull the plugs and do a compression test. The black crap on the ground would most likely indicate moisture in the exhaust, some moisture is normal, but if it's a lot and you never noticed it before.
            One other thing I thought of, maybe it's a plugged catalytic converter, that would be better than a blown head gasket, huh? Good luck!
            ?A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it.? Col. Jeff Cooper

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." Albert Einstein

Comment

• Cappicaper
              232 I6
              • Oct 27, 2008

Cat could be suspect. I would think that would be more prevalent at higher RPMs when the exhaust flow is high. Plugged exhaust does act like rich mixture.

If the head gasket is blown it should smoke white as the water is burned and turns to steam. I agree with azpackrat that it probably has something to do with the last thing that happened. Seems like these problems always relate to the last thing fixed My elbows have been know to knock off wires and all sorts of things.

Needle and seat would be a carb tear down and then you might as well put a kit in it. Leaky needle is about the last thing I would suspect - I just threw it out because you commented on the suit. I would expect the oil to be reading way high (over a quart or more) if it was a problem.

EDIT: I was just thinking about the leaky carb and that's impossible. You could only leak what was in the float bowl and then it would be empty. In my case with the motorcycle, it was gravity fed so the whole tank went into the crankcase.
              Last edited by Cappicaper; 03-07-2010, 07:42 PM.
              63 CJ5, 302 Ford

www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• Gas Pumper
                232 I6
                • Jun 30, 2009

Engine never overheated (at least in my possesion). No white smoke either, which would indicate head gaskets. Oil level is ok, too. I'll check wires and such tomorrow.

Any other ideas all you guys and gals? Thanks so far!
                FSJ-less...
                ...at the moment...

Comment

• Cappicaper
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 27, 2008

see my edit above.
                  63 CJ5, 302 Ford

www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• Cappicaper
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 27, 2008

Once it's running will it idle?
                    63 CJ5, 302 Ford

www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• Gas Pumper
                      232 I6
                      • Jun 30, 2009

Originally posted by Cappicaper
                      Once it's running will it idle?
                      Sometimes the idle is fine, sometimes its "lopey" like its missing again, but only slightly.
                      FSJ-less...
                      ...at the moment...

Comment

• Skeeter74
                        258 I6
                        • Sep 25, 2009

I have seen a cat plugged so completely that after a short time the car would die and actually turn the motor backwards due to pressure inthe exhaust. Now, not being that plugged, it could certainly dog a motor and eventually kill it.
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Tatsadasayago
                        "And on the 7th day god created the Full Sized Jeep and he saw that it was good. He gave these mechanical marvels to his chosen ones and they went wheeling in style and comfort!"

80 Wagoneer Limited, 2 bbl 2150, 360, 727TF, NP219, "Moby Dick" Now with Dragonfire HEI, Contour dual fans, CS144,

Comment

• jaber
                          Dragin Az
                          • Oct 17, 2003

The Eddy carbs like to be re jetted in our area. They come set for sea level operation, and need to be jetted for 5K'. I have a set that I can get you #'s from.
                          I also have other coils if you want to use one to test with before you buy one, just let me know.
                          I also have compression testing equipment if you need it.
                          Jeff

'43 cj2a
                          '51 Willys p/u
                          '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                          '68 Panel Delivery
                          '74 CJ5
                          '75 J-20 Wrecker
                          '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                          '77 J-10 p/u
                          '79 Cherokee
                          '88 Grand Wagoneer
                          '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• J300Zack
                            232 I6
                            • Oct 15, 2007

When I changed my thermostat I bumped a vacuum line on the carb and had the same problems as you except it wouldn't have problems starting after it stalled. Just a thought.
                            '65 J300 Thriftside, Cummins Tow Rig (Sittin' in the field)
                            '97 Tj 4.6L Stroker, locked, and rock rashed (Current DD)
                            '86 Waggy, 360, Ax-15, Np231 (For Sale)
                            '04 CBR 600RR, (Got to drive something fast)

Comment

• Mark Wilde
                              350 Buick
                              • Jul 20, 2004

When my son blew a coolant line and overheated the engine, this is how it ran. Like Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogley. Ran on 4-5 cylinders. I didn't even bother trying to rebuild it, I just replaced it.

As previously stated, how it's running now usually relates to the last thing that happened to it. You most likely lost all coolant and overheated the motor. Sorry.
                              90 Grand Wagoneer, 401/727/229, TFI upgrade, MC4350 4V, Edelbrock Performer cam, All-Aluminum Radiator, Razor Conversion, 4" Rusty's all-spring, 31x10.50 BFG TA/KO's...much planned, little time/money, thus she's a PipeDream!

Comment

Working...
                              X