• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ne715
    350 Buick
    • Mar 16, 2006

Jeep Hate runs deep (long)

Not my hate for Jeeps, but their hate for me. Our #1 first Jeep (79 Waggy) ever I purchased it, loved it, it hated me. Broke down everytime I drove it. Well the curse continues. The old white 89 Waggy has broke down more times than I can count on one hand. The new gray 89 Waggy has stranded me once.

Now you would have thought I would have learned my lesson by now, but NNOOOOO, stupid runs deep.

With the weather turning bad here this afternoon I decided I best drive a 4x4 to work so I wouldn't get stranded at work. DUMB IDEA!!! I drove the old white 89 to work. Had to go out on muddy roads and the 4 wheel drive wasn't working. Should have turned around and went back to the office then. No, again struck by the stupid brick. Got through the mud not a problem without the 4x4. Drove it another 20 miles and it did hiccup a couple of times, and I threatened it, and it got me back to the office. Popped the hood and found a vacuum line off to the 4 wheel drive, and put it back on. Took off again, now running like crap, and 4x4 still not working. Did my visit, went back to the office. Weather turning worse decided to head for home. Decided one more time to check vacuum hoses, and yes another one was off. Closed the hood and tried to start it. It wouldn't start, went to check under the hood to see what was going on. Hood wouldn't open. Now is that a hint or what.

So I called Alan, yelled at him about the POS, and he drove 15 miles to come check it out in the bad weather. He got there the hood opened, he fiddled with it a bit (wiggled some wires), etc. and it started.

I drove it home without incident, but very nervous the whole way home, without 4x4.

So I have come to the conclusion that Jeeps hate me, but I still love them, but it is not a two way relationship.

So I am bringing this to the couples counseling here. If you see me sitting along side the road in a FSJ, PLEASE stop and have a talk with us, and see if you can help us work out our differences.

Thanks for listening.

Pam
  • cttandy
    258 I6
    • Apr 07, 2008

I feel your pain. I work on computers for a living, and it seems some computers have an extreme hatred for me. No matter how nice I am to them they just crash. One week after I came back to my current job ( I moved to PA for 3 years then moved back home to TN) I went to do a simple upgrade to a computer and the thing died in my hands. Turns out the whole building had been hit by lightening the week before and this was one of two computers that hadnt died instantly, but still the streak still runs.

We have alot of pretty extreme lightning storms around here, and it never fails it dies in my hands. The thing that agreevates me the most and I will check over the computer and find nothign wrong with it, and set it aside for another tech to come behind me, and sure enough the things I know i checked will be messed up the next day. I guess all is fair, cause the other guys send there computer to me and I find the same thing for them but still.

I hate computers, and they hate me. And thats how I like it. Now I love my jeep, and right now, it seems to be loving me as well. Just wish I could get it on the road and start driving it. But jeeps have always been like that to me. I have only had one truck that I thought had something against me. It acted up on the test drive the second i got in the seat. After 6 months of ownership, the carlot I was working for in PA, had to push it through the auto auction. I became a proud jeep owner at the point.
    Last edited by cttandy; 04-10-2008, 07:41 PM.
    SOLD - NO LONGER A FSJ OWNER
    http://tnfsj.org/
    87 GW- BUG (BIG UGLY GUZZLER)
    Edelbrock intake,Carter Competition Carb, mild cam, HEI Distributor, S-10 Steering box, 3 inch body lift, 3.5 inch AAL lift, GM truck shackles, 2 inch rear blocks, 33x12.50's

Comment

• PlasticBoob
      All Makes Combined
      • Jun 30, 2003

Originally posted by cttandy
      I feel your pain. I work on computers for a living,
      Computers huh? Does that explain your screen name? My first computer was a Tandy 1000RL. TALK ABOUT HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Rob
      1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
      Click for video

Comment

• PlasticBoob
        All Makes Combined
        • Jun 30, 2003

Vehicles as old as these CAN be made reliable, but you have to go through EVERYTHING, and make sure it's done correctly. I did this and also replaced some stuff with more modern and reliable technology. Haven't had any major issues in the 8 years I've owned it.

SHOW 'EM WHO'S BOSS!!
        Rob
        Click for video

Comment

• 1977cherokeechief
          350 Buick
          • Apr 21, 2007

im having a problem with mine right now. everytime i try to replae one thing, i break about five others.
          nate

the new fixer upper
          1977 cherokee chief
          360, th400, QT
          33" tires
          edelbrock 600cfm

82 mustang 5.0 5 speed. ford racing intake, edelbrock, offbrand long tubes, and glass packs.

Originally posted by jamsni
          Just explain that you are trying to do your part to stimulate the economy. Buying it is just the right thing to do.

Comment

• ne715
            350 Buick
            • Mar 16, 2006

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
            Vehicles as old as these CAN be made reliable, but you have to go through EVERYTHING, and make sure it's done correctly. I did this and also replaced some stuff with more modern and reliable technology. Haven't had any major issues in the 8 years I've owned it.

SHOW 'EM WHO'S BOSS!!
            That just the problem, Alan has put TPI ignition and fuel injection on it, and remote start. He could do all the upgrades he wants it will still leave me stranded. IT HATES ME!!

Pam

Comment

• PlasticBoob
              All Makes Combined
              • Jun 30, 2003

***PlasticBoob shoves his foot into his big mouth.
              Rob
              Click for video

Comment

• skeletor
                350 Buick
                • Jan 31, 2006

maybe you should get a tcase that has a lever since the whole vacuum thing isnt working for you
                1984 j10 LWB - for sale
                1977 Cherokee chief wide track(sold)
                2004 LJ - sold
                2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys

Comment

• Elliott
                  Cowboy Up
                  • Jun 22, 2002

Could be worse Pam... have you ever owned a Dodge? Or had a Ford burn?
                  *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                  ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Gambler68
                    Rabble Rouser
                    • Feb 29, 2004

I think FSJ's that are male owned have serious issues when they register a different bum in the drivers seat (and sometimes the passenger seat as well). All kinds of weird stuff happens. My J3000 ran like a charm till the first ride I gave my gf in it..starter died on that trip. I was so mad it she didn't get in a jeep again till I bought the blue Cherokee. She's driven that exactly once since I've bought it (wobbly steering...since fixed...shhhhh)

Eventually you'll get the bug ironed out on the new wag..after replacing everything maybe a little dab of rtv or electrical tape on the vac hoses (but if they are falling off like that..sounds like it's time for new proper sized hose perhaps).
                    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Billygoat
                      304 AMC
                      • Mar 16, 2004

The key is you can not have everthing working perfectly, you need to have something not right, generally I leave a side marker or dash light inoperative, and when ever I get it to drive mutter about how it needs to be fixed, otherwise the Jeep feels it is being taken for granted and starts crying out for attention. And a blood sacrafice when you do work on it usually helps too.

Comment

• dlowrance
                        304 AMC
                        • Feb 16, 2007

Originally posted by skeletor
                        maybe you should get a tcase that has a lever since the whole vacuum thing isnt working for you
                        That's exactly what I was thinking...my Gladiator's 4WD works every time...just pull the big lever on the floor until you feel the **clunk** then off you go!!!
                        Dale

79 WT Cherokee
                        TH400
                        D20 Twin Stick
                        Unnamed as of yet....

Comment

• cttandy
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 07, 2008

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
                          Computers huh? Does that explain your screen name? My first computer was a Tandy 1000RL. TALK ABOUT HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Way back, long long ago, when AOL didn't have version numbers after the name (in the AOL start) that was the screen name my dad gave my little skinny butt, at the ripe age of 11. It has since followed me every since. That was the original name of our office. We got tired of constantly explaining what the name ment and change it to the computer service center. Not much to explain there, although these super smart people here in the south call, "Hi, do you work on computers?" "No ma'am, we just put the name on the building so people will call and makes us feel smart."

I have only had hate for 1 vehicle, a $200 Misubishi Mirage I bought for my wife to learn to drive in. Couldn't get all 4 cyl to all work at once. So I sold it on 3 cyl. The new owner though it was great. It did run awesome, and got like 45 mpg. Just felt like you where sitting on an old drier at an idle.
                          SOLD - NO LONGER A FSJ OWNER
                          http://tnfsj.org/
                          87 GW- BUG (BIG UGLY GUZZLER)
                          Edelbrock intake,Carter Competition Carb, mild cam, HEI Distributor, S-10 Steering box, 3 inch body lift, 3.5 inch AAL lift, GM truck shackles, 2 inch rear blocks, 33x12.50's

Comment

• JeepinPete
                            304 AMC
                            • Dec 09, 2003

I believe it is a gender thing too. I bought a '88 Waggy a few months back, and it is in very nice shape. Every time my wife gets in it to go somewhere with me, it breaks down. She gave up after the third time I've put a few thousand miles on it, and only once has it given me any trouble.

But on the other hand, my first Waggy was hell on wheels. That truck broke, and broke, and broke. I was happy to see it gone.

Now, my '79 has been a very good truck. In stock form, I had once issue with it. But after a short wait, it started back up and got me home. Since I've done the engine swap, I've broken down three times. One, a ujoint went bad, and two times now the wires passing through the fuel sender have burned up. The real pisser on that is the sender was a brand new part. Anyways, it is the joy of owning an old truck...
                            Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
                            Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
                            Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• Dalton37
                              232 I6
                              • Dec 05, 2005

Originally posted by Billygoat
                              The key is you can not have everthing working perfectly, you need to have something not right, generally I leave a side marker or dash light inoperative, and when ever I get it to drive mutter about how it needs to be fixed, otherwise the Jeep feels it is being taken for granted and starts crying out for attention. And a blood sacrafice when you do work on it usually helps too.
                              I really think you're on to something here. I will have to try that with mine once I get the trans fixed.
                              1982 Grand Wagoneer - 360, 727, NP208 with a lot of parts sitting in the garage waiting to go in.

Comment

Working...
                              X