• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FreeJeep
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 12, 2005

wood grain removal

Need help on how to remove wood grain trim. I understand that the actual wood grain can be removed with a heat gun, but how about thr trim? I do not want to damage the trim, and as I was removing some off the tailgate just now, it looked to be tearing a little on the backside as I peeled it off. Also,what type of glue should be used to reattach the trim? Wood grain panels are 3-M peel and stick, I am told by the supplier. This is a great site, thanks to all for your help.
  • rednek in a jeep
    258 I6
    • Dec 09, 2003

there are rivits at the ends of the trim that need to be drilled out. be real carful and remove to little plugs that cover them they are hard to find if you drop them! i just pulled mine real slow and it came right off. as for the wood sticker i used a heat gun also. good luck and welcom to the board!!!
    85 GW 360 727 np229 slect trac, tt\'s fab works SOA kit, 4.56 gears, locked front and rear, 33 12.50\'s 1969 RAMBLER WAGON 232

Comment

• woodybeone
      304 AMC
      • Sep 02, 2001

Wait for a sunny day and let it sit in the sun or put it in a garage with some work lights shining on the trim. Once warm it will pull right off much easier . You could also use a heat gun but if it's cold it will take a long time and it will wrinkle.
      Scotch brite wheels to remove the old adhesive and new 3M double stick auto trim tape. Use some stainless screws or rivets to reattach.

[ February 28, 2005, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: woodybeone ]
      Romans 8:28

Brian Ray

"If everyone's against you it means your absolutely wrong.....or absolutely right "

Comment

Working...
      X