• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 61Hawk
    258 I6
    • Jul 18, 2009

Air Cleaners - Original vs Open Element

One thing I've wondered about while watching some of the rebuild threads is why are people replacing the original air cleaner housing with the open style? The original with the flex tube is basically a cold air intake, whereas the open is sucking in engine compartment air, and my '89 GW has the hottest engine compartment of any vehicle I've ever owned.
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

just to look uncluttered .....if you enjoy even lower MPG's and drivability issues with a carb - go ahead and get yourself one. there is a reason the engineers put it there in the first place, waggies are not exactly hot rods right?

steve
    Last edited by Tripwire; 05-16-2019, 04:30 PM.
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

I think people like the way they look and assume they flow more air. Keep in mind, carbs don't really care about intake air temp. They are going to meter the air the same.

It could be argued that a 2bbl carb does not flow enough air to really feel the limitation of the single snorkel, too. I think on a stock motor with a 4bbl and any motor with a 2bbl, the stock air filter is more than fine. I think for a mildly built motor, you may need to flow more air and other options should be looked at.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

I think most folks go for the look rather than the function. I've run open air boxes on other V8's and never really noticed any plus or minuses but it does sound cooler when the secondaries kick in. For most I think it's just a cheap/easy way to hang more chrome.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• PlasticBoob
          All Makes Combined
          • Jun 30, 2003

Hawk, you nailed it. They're garbage down here in Southern California 90% of the year, or anywhere else where it gets hot for that matter. I have the datalogs to prove it. Can't believe I ran one for so long!
          Rob
          1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
          Click for video

Comment

Working...
          X