International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Events > Events

Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 PM
FSJ Maniac

MidAtlantic Full Size Jeep Club 2010 Fall Fling

Now that Summer is officially over it’s time to plan our Fall Fling. Just like in years past we’ll be holding the event at Rausch Creek Off Road Park (rauschcreekoffroadpark.org) on Columbus Day weekend October 8/9/10.
Our Fall Fling at Rausch Creek is always one of our most popular events. Being in the woods at this time of the year is amazing. Usually warm daytime temps drop off after dark for comfortable nighttime camping. The leaves are starting to turn and the scenery is amazing. The wheeling at Rausch Creek is second to none. There are plenty of trails of all levels to explore. Green trails for stock FSJs lead to every part of the park. For those that are a bit daring the blue trails are a bit more challenging. If you’ve never been to Rausch Creek before this is a great trip to attend.
Please visit their website for detail about membership and daily entrance fees. Camping at the park is free.
The MidAtlantic Full Size Jeep Club charges no dues or fees to attend any of our events.
Hope to see you all at the Fall Fling.

1979/1980 J-10 Junkyard Dog 258 4 speed D44 front AMC 20 rear 3.31 Lincoln Locker Status Running
1991 Grand Wagoneer Gray Ghost (bone stock) STATUS Gone but not forgotten

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-08-2010, 03:38 AM
304 AMC

http://www.rc4x4.org/rcforum/index.p...c,11202.0.html

Lots of stuff going on at RC that weekend. As always, RC is a GREAT place to wheel.
1989 GW - the one that started it all
1983 - J15 - J10 body + J20 running gear = J15 Trail rig
Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Gear Head

I'll be there. What a great time of year for camping. Hope the sun comes out this time to warm the solar shower. Last year it was... invigorating.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:13 AM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle_Wagon_NJ
I'll be there. What a great time of year for camping. Hope the sun comes out this time to warm the solar shower. Last year it was... invigorating.

I missed the Solar Shower last year

1979/1980 J-10 Junkyard Dog 258 4 speed D44 front AMC 20 rear 3.31 Lincoln Locker Status Running

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-09-2010, 11:59 AM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91G-Dub
I missed the Solar Shower last year

I didn't sleep for 3 days after my shower!!! Invigorating? More like hypothermia. At least the Led Zeppelin soundtrack kept me warm.

A water heater that works off the exhaust pipe is on the to-do list for this year.

JR

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
1966 mustang fastback
'07 Dodge Charger 3.5
Old 09-09-2010, 04:12 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhoncho
I didn't sleep for 3 days after my shower!!! Invigorating? More like hypothermia. At least the Led Zeppelin soundtrack kept me warm.

A water heater that works off the exhaust pipe is on the to-do list for this year.

JR

You have way too much time on your hands.
Bunch of Sissys if you ask me. If I came home from a camping trip not smelling like a goat my Darling Bride would think I spent the weekend in Atlantic City.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-04-2010, 08:28 AM
FSJ Maniac

Ok, who all's going??

It will be the last visit to Rausch for my truck in it's current state so forgive me if I start to get emotional out on the trails.

I'll supply my own kleenex.

JR

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
1966 mustang fastback
'07 Dodge Charger 3.5
Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Hey guys I won't be able to make it this time, but looking forward to seeing some pictures!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 AM
FSJ Maniac

I'll be coming up for a day trip only not sure which day yet. I talked to PineyMike on Sat and I think he's doing a day trip on Sun.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-04-2010, 12:19 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91G-Dub
I'll be coming up for a day trip only not sure which day yet. I talked to PineyMike on Sat and I think he's doing a day trip on Sun.

How about Frisatsunday?!!

JR

1966 mustang fastback
'07 Dodge Charger 3.5
Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

At this point I am hoping to camp out Friday night, and wheel Sat. I could probably adjust those plans to Sat night/ Sun if that's when the group will be there...

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241
Old 10-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Gear Head

I'll be there. Heading up Friday, hopefully before dark.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
FSJ Maniac

Looks like Sat will be the best day for a Daytrip. I'll see you folks there Sat morning. Not sure what PineyMike's plans are but I'll see if he can make a convoy with me.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I am all set to be there Friday evening. Should be there around 6:30 or so. If I do not see anyone, I'll grab a campsite. Keep a look out for a blue Durango, or Gandalf

Old 10-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Gear Head

Well, due to unforseen circumstances, it looks like we'll be up first thing Saturday morning. But we'll be there.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Is anyone going up tonight? If not, I'll probably just bag camping and meet up with everyone in the morning...

Old 10-10-2010, 10:21 AM
FSJ Maniac

Sorry that I couldn't make the trip. My back has been acting up lately and banging around at RC plus the drive up and back would have just been too much.
Hope everyone had a great time. Post lots of pics and trail reports.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Gear Head

Well like I said, we weren't able to make it up Friday night. Saturday, We got into Rausch around 1030. We started setting up camp while Pete, Kyle, Johnny and friends came back from the trail to meet us.
We headed out, starting on trail "O", which again was challenging, especially the steep down hill at the beginning. We did the "S" trail loop, eventually winding up at Lake Christy. From there we did "J" which I know I've never done before. This creeps down the side of the valley, gradually at first, but then suddenly steep and twisty at the end. I am still having problems with the Wag stalling out on steep downhills, thereby forcing me to navigate the steep parts without powersteering or power brakes until I can get stopped and restart the engine. Well, I had a learning moment this weekend. I think Headhoncho was trying to explain the concept to me just before it happened, but I was a little preoccupied at the time (braking and steering as I was). I started the engine, but never took it out of neutral (unintentially) and had gravity take care of the forward momentum. Everytime the engine started to stall, I'd give it a little gas and lo and behold it didn't stall anymore. I'm also getting better at driving with left foot on brake, right foot on gas. It's coming more naturally. So anyway, halfway down the steep decline on J there is a tree in the middle of the trail and you have to decide to hard left and hard right around it, or stay right and get steeper. While trying to make up my mind, Headhoncho got an eye full as my Wag started to slip sideways and get loose. I don't know how close to tipping it was, but I felt it too and expidited my decision to go right. Once at the bottom of the hill Stosh and I both had to get out and have a minute with solid ground.
Pete took his Durango places I'm sure the folks at Dodge never envisioned, but it paid the price, I'm told, with lots of dings to the under carriage. That said, Pete's driving skills are unquestioned, as I'm sure he takes the truck places other people never could.
Kyle was having some trouble with the shackle flipping on the front passenger's side of his YJ, but with jack and crow bar made it through the day.
Coming back up the other side of the valley, we each had a go at a washed out ravine. There was a by-pass, but after watching Pete make it through, I wasn't going to take no by-pass. Somewhere along the way, after one of my typical, throttle-thru moments, I managed to put a nice gash in the rear quarter panel. Compared to the giant rust hole in front of it though, it's just more character.
Funny thing is, this seemed to be the Wag's weekend for getting attention. I got lots of thumbs up and compliments out on the trail, and turned a lot of heads on the highway. A certain Honcho seemed to be getting a little jealous.
Sunday it was just Headhoncho and I and we decided to wheel the new property across the street. The green trails over there are much smoother and make the green trails on the other side look like blue trails. There's some nice sight seeing too. It was while engaged in this sight seeing I forgot to commit to one side or the other of a harmless looking wash out and wound up stuck fast. Like stuck - one wheel off the ground, front diff up against a sizeable rock, rear wheel spinning in mud. So a quick tug backwards from Headhoncho, ego a little bruised, it was on our way. While exploring we came across the park staff cutting and testing new trail for a race next weekend. They were trying to get a Grand Cherokee up a steep, farily slick rock, but in the end, threw in the towel. A little further down the trail we found some tube buggies practicing for the race in "Devil's Den", a rock pile. They sure do make it look easy.
We found what they call "Muddy Run" but we were unimpressed despite the 8" of rain the area had last week. That muddy run has nothing on our native Pine Barrens mud runs.
We also found the "pit" which had a few choices of steep trails in and out of it and did our hill climbing imitation.
After that it was starting to get to be time to head out. We first checked on "Bills Revenge" back on the other side. Bill's sign had come down, but fourtunately JR quickly found it and placed it back were it, hopefully, will stay up longer.
Then it was back to camp to finish packing and home. The trip was uneventful, except for one odd pheasant that decided to cross 81 right in front of me, no where near typical pheasant country. Maybe that was cosmic forshadowing that after this weekend it's back to work for real for me. I'd rather it was a black cat.
We made the requiste stop at Pizza Hut by cabela's for dinner. We missed you PineyMike and G-Dub!
The one last odd thing was back in Jersey, I got off 78 at the wrong exit for the truck stop. I couldn't find the U turn in that miserable stretch of Phillipsburg. Anyway, I heard a noise from the Wag and knowing what it was I got to the shoulder instantly, just in time for my hub cap to fall off! I jumped out, grabbed it and was back in no-time. I guess I was meant to get off 78 there!
So all-in-all a great weekend and hope to see more of our regulars at the Snow-ball Run. I got a scar to show off now!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:57 PM
FSJ Maniac

Pretty much "What She said". Everyone missed a great time and perfect weather. Only exception is we were stuck camping nearby the Rausch Creek regulars race team who don't know the meaning of quiet time starts at 11:00pm. I guess some people get special treatment when they think they're better than everyone else.
We paid the extra fee to wheel the new property which turned out to be well worth it. Hopefully next time we'll have a better turnout and I'll have taken better pics.

The rest of the pics. Video's hopefully soon.

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/c...ing/?start=all

JR

1966 mustang fastback
'07 Dodge Charger 3.5
Old 10-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I had a great time on Sat. It really killed me to have to leave for home.

I got there around 8:30 am on Sat, with no one that I knew around. I sat around, walked through the swap meet, and by dumb Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogley luck ran into Earl. We talked a bit, but he had to get back to his selling. I gave Bill couple calls, then Piney Mike. I knew he wasn't coming this weekend, but sure enough, he knew more about what was going on that I did

His son Mike and friends were already there. We finally found each other and decided to take a run around before Ann & JR got there. I got to lead the procession since I was the only one that grabbed a map I ended up leading all day, which was a first for me. I liked it

I am running 33x10.5s on the Durango. So there is plenty on clearance between the body and ground. But the muffler and fuel tank hang below the frame rails, and the frame sits a lot lower than a FSJ relative to the body. So stradling things was out, lest I take out something important. Anyway, those facts dictated some lines I wouldn't have chosen otherwise.

So when we met up with Ann & JR, I led us down the C trail. At one point, there is a pretty steep downhill. No big deal ordinarily, expect for the trucks limitations. I somehow managed to get the back tire up off the ground three feet or so. Never had than happen with the Cherokee.

Then we went over to the south property. We ended up doing Trail 21, which was quite a lot of fun. Then I got turned around on the S trail a couple times. Then over to the west property, and down trail J1.

I had never been on that one before. Most of it is very straightforward. Great views over the valley. I did manage to connect with a rock though, stopped me cold. My tooth hurt for 30 minutes after wards. But when we got to the end, yikes! The top of the hill was sandy gravel, with some nice sized rocks thrown in. Locking up the brakes would not stop your descent. It was at this moment I remembered why I hate an automatic off road. About half way down, the seat behind me popped loose, and the headrest clocked me in the back of the head. Not much to do but ride it out.

Once I got to the bottom, I let Gandalf out. He didn't look to pleased. My thoughts were definitely with Ann, what with her GW's stalling issues. But she made it down fine, as did everyone else. We took a break for awhile, and when it was time to get going, Gandalf just ignored my calls. He's an offroadin' dog, but that was a little too hairy for his tastes.

The Dodge is definitely worse for wear. During the day's wheeling, the exhaust manifold gasket decided 193k miles was enough. It was a loud ride home. There are four crossmembers on this thing, and everyone is bent to some extent. The muffler has a nice new ding too. The green trails were definitely a bit more rugged than usual. A Durango doesn't hold a candle to a FSJ offroad.