International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Events > Events

Old 09-20-2009, 05:50 AM
FSJ Maniac

MidAtlantic Full Size Jeep Club Fall Fling

Well, here we go again. Sorry for the delay in setting this up but I've been dealing with some pretty serious back problems and have not been paying attention to the FSJ world.
Our annual Fall fling will be held as always at Rausch Creek the weekend of Oct 9/10/11. Come for a day or the whole weekend.
Information about the park can be found here:
http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/

This has always been one of our best events, the weather Gods usually smile on us. Warm days and crisp fall nights. Trees turning colors and losts of great off-roading from mild to wild.

Remember the MidAtlantic Full Size Jeep Club never charges any dues or fees to attend any or our events. Rausch Creek does so make sure to check their website for the current charges.

I won't be able to make the trip but will be thinking about all of you. Have a great, safe time.

1979/1980 J-10 Junkyard Dog 258 4 speed D44 front AMC 20 rear 3.31 Lincoln Locker Status Running
1991 Grand Wagoneer Gray Ghost (bone stock) STATUS Gone but not forgotten

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-20-2009, 06:16 AM
Gear Head

Bill, sorry to hear about your back troubles. Feel better soon. Hopefully you'll be with us at the spring ride, good as new.

I'll be there, for the whole weekend this time. I'm risking the wrath of the bosses to do it (opening day of duck season in NJ). But I'm tired of missing out on this trip, because it is one of the best of the year. My brother is coming with me too and I assigned him cameraman duties already.

Now I also recall someone promised to teach me to drive a stick...
Old 09-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Master Mechanic

Ok someone needs to setup a camera on their rig so Bill can join us from over the internet Bill Im also sorry to hear about your back troubles. I can see why you wouldn't want to be bouncing around at RC. Even people with good backs are soar after that.

If things go well I will be there with my new trail rig, and trailer. Alls thats left to get done is lenghthen the driveshafts and weld up the rear dif. (I'm hopefull that is all) No winch yet, so you guys better not be gettin stuck this time.

Last edited by Greenfire : 09-20-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:15 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle_Wagon_NJ

Now I also recall someone promised to teach me to drive a stick...

JR

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
1966 mustang fastback
'07 Dodge Charger 3.5
Old 09-20-2009, 08:17 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfire
If things go well I will be there with my new trail rig, and trailer. Alls thats left to get done is lenghthen the driveshafts and weld up the rear dif. (I'm hopefull that is all) No winch yet, so you guys better not be gettin stuck this time.

Can't wait to see the new trail rig, Jason. I'll have my winch operational by then. Just have to get a dual post battery and I'll be good to go.

JR

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
1966 mustang fastback
'07 Dodge Charger 3.5
Old 10-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Master Mechanic

Who else is coming to this? What time are we planning for Sat/Sun???
Old 10-03-2009, 07:10 PM

Maryland crew should be there Saturday

Things seem to be coming together for the Maryland crew to make a day trip on Saturday. GOJO will represent the FSJ's and a Wrangler and a UNIMOG will be along to round out the crew. Still got some wrenching to do, but we should make it. If you're gonna pull out before 8:30 or 9 am we'd better get a cell number.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Gear Head

I'm planning on getting there late Friday afternoon. We can stake out some camping space for everyone, as I think there is a competition there next weekend too.

As for when to hit the trail in the a.m., I don't think our club has ever made it out before 900, and I see no reason to try this time!
Old 10-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Master Mechanic

Well 9:30 works for me if we want to make that the official time. I am coming down Sat morning. Deciding on staying over or not. This is going to be my first run for the new rig.

So whats a good tire pressure to run for 33s in R/C?
Old 10-05-2009, 03:29 AM
Gear Head

It looks like I'll be up there sat,mid morning or so,I run my 33's at 20psi on my cherokee, but it's trial&error on each rig depending on tires & weight dist.My cherokee has a heavy(455 buick)engine so I'm reluctiant to go too low on pressure also you can lose inches of ground clearance and with 33's you mite notice an inch or 2? See ya in the woods!
Old 10-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Master Mechanic

Thanks Piney Mike, see you all Sat morning!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:12 PM
350 Buick

RC OUTING

WISH I COULD MAKE IT BUT I NEED TO GO OUT OF TOWN FOR THE WEEKEND.
1985 J-20 360 6 inch lift, 37's plow truck
1986 J-20 360 stock well rusted plow truck
1970 AMX CURRENT PROJECT
Old 10-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Master Mechanic

All loaded and ready to go. Got soaked doing so, but Im ready. Booked a room for sat night.

First run for trailer and Jeep. (knocking on fake woodgrain)
Old 10-09-2009, 07:08 PM

Loaded and ready to go...

See ya'll in the morning.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:09 PM

Quick meet and greet...

The MD crew arrived a little later than planned and first off met Jason unloading his rig in a very busy parking area. We got ourselves unloaded, hit the office to pay up, and headed down the far end of the lot to see if the MAFSJ'ers had left yet (It was about 10:30 am by then.) Saw Jason there and two other nice looking FSJ's. Got our intro's, handshakes and realized they weren't quite ready to go.

My impatient crew had already left me behind so I told the club group where we were headed and made a bee-line for the hills near the Trail 1 to play around. Jason, et al, caught up with us just as we were finishing up in that area and trying to figure out what to do with GOJO which was bubblin' coolant like 'Old Faithful'.

A brief chat with the 3 MAFSJ'ers and we decided go separate ways as the crazies I had with me today were already planning an assault on Crawler Ridge and a trip down Snakebite. Ricky "mcgyver'd" his fan clutch with an old seatbelt and we headed toward the South Property.

Never did see the club crew again. We played around on Crawler Ridge, tried and failed the hill climb out of the Quarry, and bounced over a big section of Snakebite. Ricky's fan patch held for the whole day and so did the weather.

Beautiful day and a great ride. No major breakdowns. Now that's a first. Sorry we didn't hook up with you guys for more than a meet and greet. Hope things went well for the Saturday drive.

Put a bunch of pics on facebook.I think I have my facebook settings so the world cans see this:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=5d4cee69e2

Last edited by GOJO : 10-12-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Master Mechanic

What a weekend... Glad to of met the MD crew and see your rigs. The UNIMOG was quite impressive. Was the owners name Bob? I think Im going to do the same with my R/C day tags. I passsed you guys getting on 81 in the evening.

This was a big weekend for me. First time out with tthe Jeep on a trailer. I wanted to make it wall work and did so with success.

I arrived Sat morning to meet GOJO and his crew in the parking lot. Unloaded, then went to register where I found some familiar faces, Anne and JR. Also met Anne's brother who was a big help as photographer and navigator. Went to their camp, got organized then headed out meeting up with the MD crew for a short time, then JR, etc decided to split up the groups since they were on more challenging trails. As usuall two Gwags and a Honcho got plenty of looks as we drove through. At lunch time we met up with PineyMike and his crew of assorted vehicles. Once again a good choice of trails

Sun was a continuation of Sat with a cheby and Grand Cherokee added to the crew. Our last trail before lunch gave myself and JR a bit of a challenge. (Big dent in my rig, yes there always has to be some carnage) As usuall Anne pulled through with no problems.. At lunch time on Sun I was anxious to get loaded and on the road. Got my rig on the trailer with some guidance from JR, and strapped it all down. Said goodbye to everyone and got on the road, back to NY. Was a beautiful trip home.

Was good to see some old friends and meet some new people. We went on some really good trails, that were a nice challenge for my new rig. I only took a handfull of pics and will get them up soon. Looking foward to the Pine Barrens!!

Last edited by Greenfire : 10-11-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:45 PM

UNIMOG and Camelback

Yes, our friend Bob Zuern owns the UNIMOG. It's a little underpowered with only an 85 hp engine so unfortunately in any situation that requires 'turn and burn' he burns out too quickly and runs out of power. Sloppy hillclimbs and slippery rocks can stop him in his tracks. But that thing can crawl.

BTW, we also hit Camelback which is way down at the bottom of the South Property. This was a first time on that one and it was, shall we say, interesting -- a series of wicked humps with holes and off camber galor. We teetered in a couple spots and backed up to try a different route. I'm kind of a wimp so it's probably not as bad as I'm making it sound. Ricky was driving GOJO and except for an occasional 'Oh, sh?t', he was grinning all the way.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Gear Head

More Pics to Come

Here's a link to the PhotoBucket album.
http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q...0Creek%202009/
I'm having trouble loading the videos right now, but here's a start...

Old 10-12-2009, 04:25 PM
FSJ Maniac

Thanks for posting the pics Anne. Rausch Creek over-run with FSJs is always a good thing
Sounds like a good trip was had by all, sorry I missed it.

1979/1980 J-10 Junkyard Dog 258 4 speed D44 front AMC 20 rear 3.31 Lincoln Locker Status Running
1991 Grand Wagoneer Gray Ghost (bone stock) STATUS Gone but not forgotten

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Master Mechanic

You wasn't kiddin about that wheel being up in the air! Cool pics!

Glad your bro got a shot of the AMC Eagle. I thought that was neat.