• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jacksons Hole
    232 I6
    • Apr 02, 2010

Steering Column Compatibility

Most of my searches show GM steering columns work well with FSJ's. But I've also noticed most later-model FSJ's have the larger diameter column....and I have a '71 and (I think) a 2" column.

Long story short, I need to replace it (I've mentioned before it looks as if it roasted marshmallows and nothing electric works). What are the donor models I'm looking for to maintain decent location etc. I would also like to swap in a Jeep steering wheel regardless of column brand, so that would be a consideration. I have a floor shifter, so I don't need a column shift.

Ideally there's a direct bolt-in swap that has headlights/wipers etc on one arm so I can clean up the dash as well.

I'm also going to be adding the S-10 steering box to my manual steer truck (when I actually have an engine back in it running) - would you recommend any additional purchases, i.e. new steering shaft/u or rag joints? I do have play in my shaft now, so I figure at least rag joints would be key.

Thanks!
    1971 J2000 Gladiator - "Bertha"
    AMC 360 - 2bbl Motorcraft Carb - T-15A 3spd - D20 T-Case - 11" Clutch - D44 front and rear - 4.09 axle ratio
    ** Status - Scrapped **
    1990 Grand Wagoneer
    ** New - Just learning about her **
Working...
X