• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cappicaper
    232 I6
    • Oct 27, 2008

69 Gladiator - before and after lift & axle swap

Just rolled the truck out of the shop today so I could stand back and see it. I swapped the stock axles out and threw in a HD44 up front and a 14 bolt with disc conversion out back. Springs are 6" Deaver and I also installed a cross over/high steer set-up on the front end. I have the hydroboost left to do and drivelines and then it will be back in my DD line-up.

Just thought I would share.

Before - this is just when I bought it - stock with 32 tires:

This is after lift and axles:

78 Wagoneer, 401, Turbo400, QT, Posi Rear, 4" lift, 33X10.5 BFG
    69 Gladiator, Buick 350, T18, 14B, 44HD, Cross-over HIgh Steer, Hydroboost, 6" Lift, QR78 Buckshots
    63 CJ5, 302 Ford

Owner Buckstop Truckware, Inc
    www.buckstop.biz
  • Cappicaper
    232 I6
    • Oct 27, 2008

Here are some shots of the high-steer, rear discs, pinion guard, etc.

Thanks to partsmike for the 2" over high steer arms - never would have made it over the springs with out it.

Rear discs - I had to block the rear up 2" because of sag - not sure where that all went wrong. The front is still a little high but I am putting an M15000 Warn winch on the front @140 Lbs and beefing up the front end to make it pull. I figure between all that and the motor working those springs a little more the front will settle over time.

Pinion guard

I will keep this thread going as I got through hydroboost, drivelines and shocks. I also have a 4bbl intake and quadrajet to throw on as well as headers and complete exhaust. All this is sitting in the shop waiting for me but finding time with a 2 & 3 year old is difficult

I can't wait to run the snot out of this thing
    69 Gladiator, Buick 350, T18, 14B, 44HD, Cross-over HIgh Steer, Hydroboost, 6" Lift, QR78 Buckshots
    63 CJ5, 302 Ford

www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• jaber
      Dragin Az
      • Oct 17, 2003

Subscribed.....

That is looking awesome.
      Jeff

'43 cj2a
      '51 Willys p/u
      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
      '68 Panel Delivery
      '74 CJ5
      '75 J-20 Wrecker
      '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
      '77 J-10 p/u
      '79 Cherokee
      '88 Grand Wagoneer
      '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Wayne
        350 Buick
        • Feb 16, 2008

Nice job
        78 Wagoneer 401/T400/bw/44F&R DD 4in lift

Comment

Nice work! That looks great! And I love that color!
          Krista - High Priestess of Our Lady of Eternal Combustion
          77 401 Wag "Phoebe" ~ 77 401 J20 "Artemis" ~ 76 401 SOA Wag "Luna"
          The worst thing about rolling my jeep.....is trying to lick the paper...

Comment

• scottrich411
            232 I6
            • May 31, 2010

lookin good!

Comment

• 1983 j10
              327 Rambler
              • Apr 13, 2008

looks good. thoes spring packs are huge that is going to be a rough ride.
              1983 j10 lwb soon to be a 4.5l stroker AMC 20 rear 44 front 4spd manual in the process of restoring

01 xj 3" and 31's

Comment

• Creepy 1
                232 I6
                • Jun 09, 2009

Looks great!
                '79 Buggy based on a Chief, '79 Cherokee SOA & V8 swap, '81 Widetrac waiting to be resurrected.

Comment

• bertjeep
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 17, 2006

Thats one sweet ride

Comment

• YJ-4BT
                    232 I6
                    • May 13, 2010

Great lookin' build! Subscribed.

Comment

• Elliott
                      Cowboy Up
                      • Jun 22, 2002

Nice to see some old school deep lug tires and that color is perfect for OR!
                      *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                      ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Gambler68
                        Rabble Rouser
                        • Feb 29, 2004

Few questions:
                        does the the steering rod hit the springs at all when the pass side is dropped down? Looks like almost no clearance sitting flat.

how close are the tires to the spring pack?!
                        I have a 14bolt from a van and measured the snot out of it and couldn't see how it'd clear stock outboard springs in the back without running skinny tires or doing a spring under frame conversion.

truck looks awesome!!!
                        1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                        1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Jeepguy77
                          350 Buick
                          • Mar 16, 2008

The truck looks great im subscribed as well
                          Pierce,
                          77 J10 454, TH400, D20,

Comment

• Elliott
                            Cowboy Up
                            • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by Gambler68
                            how close are the tires to the spring pack?!
                            I have a 14bolt from a van and measured the snot out of it and couldn't see how it'd clear stock outboard springs in the back without running skinny tires or doing a spring under frame conversion.
                            When I did mine I only had to inboard 3/4" on each side to clear the drum backing plates and that was just due to the spring plates on top of the spring. With disc/calipers you can see he clears all well.
                            *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                            ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Cappicaper
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 27, 2008

Thanks for all the good comments - I sat in the back yard for about two hours this afternoon drinking a few beers and just looking at it. I felt like a little kid.

There are certainly some things to be sorted out.

Originally posted by 1983 j10
                              looks good. thoes spring packs are huge that is going to be a rough ride.
                              I had no idea these were the springs I was getting. They were designed custom by a shop that does many, many aftermarket race springs. Theoretically (which is why I ordered through them) they should ride well and I have it from a member here that they articulate OK as well. We shall see. As soon as brakes and drivelines are in I will take it to work and do the old forklift test with them.

The driver's side is sagging quite a bit as well and I have no idea why. The truck was hit on the driver's side 100 years ago and I am wondering if the frame was affected. I will have to do some measurements and see. I also need to see if the body is simply installed crooked on the frame - like the spacers are different from side to side. it's been on my lift so long today was the first time I found it. It did sag before the spring change and I had assumed that it was normal jeep sag - maybe not.

gambler, Steering doesn't hit at full droop. I will make some measurements tomorrow and let you know what I have for space. Your van 14B is 2.5" wider than a truck (mine) 14B. If you are running wide meats you may have trouble. These are 10.5" wide on 7" wheels. I would guess that since the wheels I am running are factory Ford they have a really shallow offset. I am more concerned about steering up front. I am hoping that I am not going to have to pull the front end and lay the springs under the frame in order to get a turning radius that won't drive me nuts...again, we shall see.
                              Last edited by Cappicaper; 07-03-2010, 11:01 PM.
                              63 CJ5, 302 Ford

www.buckstop.biz

Comment

Working...
                              X