Custom Relay'd headlight harnesses. 217 sold so far.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • serehill
    Gone,Never Forgotten.
    • Nov 22, 2009

Custom Relay'd headlight harnesses. 217 sold so far.

Over 400+ soldOver 400 sold

After a few conversations it has come to my attention a need for a wiring upgrade to the headlight systems to Halogen or quad lamps. I have ordered some parts & will be building these.
    The reason I am venturing into this is because in the last few months I have seen these links for headlight wiring upgrades & the are not all inclusive & do not relieve the entire system of load. They're simply are a bandaid on a bullet wound. Any mod that does not remove the dimmer switch from the load is not a cure. I saw one mod the other day that the author called simple that was anything but. It was clear it would have taken hours & you would have to have some pretty good knowledge of circuits & relay function.
    Also the system is not reversible if something were to go wrong. Mine Is.

New system:
    The system design does not require any modification cutting or removing of the existing system. The cost would be 55 bucks shipped to your door any where's in the United states. There are some available mods that may add a little price. They are optional.
    The system is based off of the new HID type bypass & simply allows the old electrical system to become controllers of the system but not carry any of the headlight amperage load. The old system will simply control the new relays & the relays will manage all current.
    Installation:
    This system is installed by removing your headlights & installing a harness across the front inside the header panel & then connecting the harness. The positive & negative are simple connect to your battery & any ground connection. This mod also utilizes porcelain socket for the bulbs instead of bakelight. The harness will pick up power & run it straight to the headlamps.
    It will be cheaper & simpler than the links which have you tracing & cutting up all kinds of old wiring.

Install would be:
    Remove the headlights & unplug old wiring.
    Install new harness by threading the left side controller & socket from the right headlight location to the left headlight socket.
    Take the fused wires & run them through the header panel to the starter relay. Connect the fused wire to the solenoid battery side.
    Connect the ground to any ground source. The process will be to use a self tapping screw & mount the provided lug to the header panel. Also there are already existing places there for other grounds for parking & side markers & headlights. You can mount the grounds to these places or create a new spot with a self tapping screw.

Go to the right side & connect the black wire from the socket to any ground as described above. Then plug the new supplied socket to the headlamp & re-assemble.
    You can tape up the old socket but it will not be used on the right side.

The Left is a little different because you will have to mount the relay (easy)
    Also on the left there is a male plug that simply plugs into the original headlight plug & tape together. (pictured later) Then connect the black ground wire to ground same as right side. Then connect the new (yellow) socket to the bulb.
    Run the wire with the fuse on it to the solenoid & connect it to the battery side of the solenoid. Mount the fuse holder optional But recommended.
    Mount the headlight back & your done.
    The wiring will be marked right & left sockets.

I have ordered the parts to build another 30 of these. The first one built that was not for me was for a buddies cj & it worked perfectly. He was having problems with his dimmer & wiring burning up. This has fixed that issue. He had 4 Kc daylighter connected to his.
    I'm simply gauging interest for this since all of the mods I've seen are complicated & really intrusive.
    you should be able to do this in an hour. I would allow 2.

Why the harness.
    1.Bypass old wiring with the heavy loads.
    2. Provide a better wiring system to upgrade your lamps to halogen.
    3. Improve the voltage to your light to make them brighter.
    4. I saw one Forum member that says his caught on fire & burned his rig &
    wiring pretty bad.
    5. Low impact this can be unwired & put back to stock should someone
    should want to. Really there is not impact to your existing system
    6. No wiring mess under the hood or under dash. The only part you see will be the red/fuse & black wire by the battery.
    Options:
    This system could be easily modified to run a quad light system it you were to put headlight in the pie plate orifices. I would have to know that & modify the system.
    2 spare relays 10.00 bucks

Again this is just a feeler to see if there is demand. I would have to get product to built if there is a positive need. This is not for profit but just to provide a solution. It would easily sell for a lot more. I may put some on ebay.
    This system will work on all jeep applications. Actually it could work on any applications.
    Please let me know your thoughts if there's no demand there is no demand. The guy I built the one for the CJ said I should check to see if there was a market or individual need.
    Last edited by serehill; 09-08-2016, 11:56 AM.

80 Cherokee
    360 ci 727 with
    Comp cams 270 h
    NP208
    Edlebrock performer intake
    Holley 4180
    Msd total multi spark.
    4" rusty's springs
    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
  • mathman
    350 Buick
    • Sep 12, 2007

I'd be in for two sets ('78 J-20, '79 Cherokee), one of them possibly for the quad light setup (depends on what I decide to do on the Cherokee).
    David
    '78 J-10; '78 J-20 8400GVW
    '79 Cherokee
    '50 Willys (not Willy's) 4WD Pickup

Comment

• Tin Medic
      Loose (lug)Nut(s)
      • Mar 21, 2011

I'd be in for at least 1.
      Sons Waggy - 89 GW 360/727/208, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs, Razor Grill
      Tramp - 85 CJ-7 Renegade FI 258/T5/D300, D30 w/ARB Air Locker, AMC 20 w/Posi Unit, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MT-R's, Hella E-Code lights, VIAIR OBA System, Warn 8000lb Winch

Comment

• five16
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 19, 2011

I'd be in for one with the quad set up for SURE!
        You can teach what you know but you can only reproduce what you are.

It makes sense if you don't think about it.

Brad B.

Comment

• serehill
          Gone,Never Forgotten.
          • Nov 22, 2009

OK

I'll order some more parts & get these going I'll build 10 they will take a little bit to get the parts in. I'll follow up with a notice there I expect to be able to have them comlete by 1-20 I'll need the particlars. This really would be the only way to run quads.
          Last edited by serehill; 12-28-2011, 06:41 PM.

80 Cherokee
          360 ci 727 with
          Comp cams 270 h
          NP208
          Holley 4180
          Msd total multi spark.
          4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Stupified
            258 I6
            • Oct 21, 2005

That's a great idea for those intimidated by wiring. I just double relayed mine or I'd be in for a set. That kind of set up should work for all the older sealed beam jobs in all the American iron. Good luck to ya !
            73 Wagoneer 360 400/20 D40/D30 3.31
            285/70R17 DuraGrapplers
            post flipped rear, rough country 6110 chevy front AAL
            Camo green Zombie Response Vehicle

Comment

• serehill
              Gone,Never Forgotten.
              • Nov 22, 2009

Thanks I ordered enough to make 10 sets.

Originally posted by Stupified
              That's a great idea for those intimidated by wiring. I just double relayed mine or I'd be in for a set. That kind of set up should work for all the older sealed beam jobs in all the American iron. Good luck to ya !
              good deal.

If you used one of the existing links for headlight mods going around ensure you didn't leave the dimmer in the load circuit. That's the headlight dimmer to be clear not the dash lights. Even on later models they can not carry current without failure. If you did the complete wiring & fuse block then you know it's a little complicated and has a tons of components that have to go somewhere. 90% of my mod is hidden & will be ideal for the restorer that did not want to expose the relays & cabling. This will easily work on any h4 system & deliver better power with porcelain sockets for the hot lamps. I have HIDs but most people don't like them so I created a way to improve the set up. The guy I built the CJ set for had a 4 bulb set up. That thing will light up the night. he burnt up 2 headlight swiches & one dimmer trying to run it on the original wiring. This wiring is optional to run all four lamps hi/lo or just run 2 hi /lo & 2 high only. All you would do is cut 2 wires on the harness to make this happen. I will probably set up a 6 volt system also. You never know.
              Last edited by serehill; 02-24-2012, 06:06 AM.

80 Cherokee
              360 ci 727 with
              Comp cams 270 h
              NP208
              Holley 4180
              Msd total multi spark.
              4" rusty's springs

Comment

• WXALL
                230 Tornado
                • Dec 29, 2009

I'd be interested, also. Could you post pics of the installation?

Comment

• Tigger4X
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Nov 16, 2001

Sounds advantageous. What years would this work for? My '70 and '74 J-trucks only have 37 amp alternators. Will these work on them? I hope so!

Curiosity ...

I have been trying to figure out how to splice the wiring from an 80's alternator into them so I'd have a 65 amp alternator that only costs $40 new from my local parts house VS the freakin' $85 for an alternator and external regulator. Do you know anything about alternator wiring? I'd be up for a "paint by numbers" tech write up to make it happen on my trucks. For sure the headlight upgrade would not be an issue then. TIA!
                  Originally posted by will e
                  Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
                  Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

• serehill
                    Gone,Never Forgotten.
                    • Nov 22, 2009

Actually it will work on any 2 head light systems.

And can be built to work a 4 light in any combination the only requiremnt is the H4 style socket. They will be a proffessional product heat shrinked etc.
                    I doesn even't have to be a jeep 2 or 4 light. Square, round, convereted,etc. It can also handle some cutsom interwiring such as connecting your fog light to high beams.
                    There's other combos.
                    Last edited by serehill; 02-24-2012, 06:55 AM.

80 Cherokee
                    360 ci 727 with
                    Comp cams 270 h
                    NP208
                    Holley 4180
                    Msd total multi spark.
                    4" rusty's springs

Comment

• SNO*MAN
                      258 I6
                      • Mar 01, 2008

I want one for my 89.
                      How does it work with the driving light configuration? My driving lights go off when the hi-beams are on, does this change at all?
                      1989 "KRONK"
                      Detroit front/rear 4.27 gears
                      Ramsey 9000 modified bronco winch bumper
                      Built 360/ 700r w/ 241c Lokar floor shifter
                      Hydro-boosted brakes
                      20" wheels w/ 35" Toyos
                      15" Welds w/35" Uncut mud boggers
                      Dual Ram Air /MSD TFI Ignition /Dakota Dash
                      www.fastfinishor.com
                      www.fastfinishor.blogspot.com
                      www.facebook.com/fastfinishor

Comment

• serehill
                        Gone,Never Forgotten.
                        • Nov 22, 2009

well

It would take a little mod to make it do that (easy). Basically it would do that as it stands you would just need a pigtail to connect your driving lights to much like having a 4 headlight system just that 2 would be single beam. The drivers would be connected to low beam. Yes they could also be reversed & come on on high beam. I bought enough stuff to build 12 I will build 5 then custom the rest.
                        So what would happen is there would simply need to be a wire added of the low beam on each socket right left to go to the driving light. I have the relays & had to custom order some sockets It looks like I should be ready to build the 3 rd week of January. we've built one that ids doing exactly what you want on a CJ.

As soon as all parts are in I will pm you guys to let you know & let you decide what you want to do. I'm already building one 4 lamp system.

Also considering auto ressetting circuit breakers as opposed to fuses. Right now fuses are the thought.
                        Last edited by serehill; 12-31-2011, 09:04 AM.

80 Cherokee
                        360 ci 727 with
                        Comp cams 270 h
                        NP208
                        Holley 4180
                        Msd total multi spark.
                        4" rusty's springs

Comment

• SNO*MAN
                          258 I6
                          • Mar 01, 2008

I always thought the stock configuration was backwards. I prefer the driving lights on with the high beams myself. Since it is lifted, It appears that most people get blinded more by the driving lights and the low beams over the high beams alone. Adjustment wont fix that.
                          I need it to be easy to install though. An electrical issue burnt my last jeep to the ground before I got it fully insured. So electrical is a big concern of mine.
                          1989 "KRONK"
                          Detroit front/rear 4.27 gears
                          Ramsey 9000 modified bronco winch bumper
                          Built 360/ 700r w/ 241c Lokar floor shifter
                          Hydro-boosted brakes
                          20" wheels w/ 35" Toyos
                          15" Welds w/35" Uncut mud boggers
                          Dual Ram Air /MSD TFI Ignition /Dakota Dash
                          www.fastfinishor.com
                          www.fastfinishor.blogspot.com
                          www.facebook.com/fastfinishor

Comment

• Ristow
                            • Jan 20, 2006

price is decent. sounds like a good idea.

I prefer the driving lights on with the high beams myself
                            i believe it's against most states law to have aux lights on with high beams. dumb. i have mine wired on with high beams,never been hassled about it.
                            Originally posted by Hankrod
                            Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                            ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                            I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• dadd2009
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 02, 2010

I'd be interested.
                              1984 Grand Wagoneer
                              UGLY, with 360, 727 and NP229.
                              Mods: All aluminum radiator, HEI, CS144
                              Future Mods: Rebuild heads, cam, lifters, timing chain, aluminum intake, 4 barrel, SOA & 33's

Comment

Working...
                              X