• Show
Clear All
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

anyone used BJ's timing cover kit?

How did it work out? thinking of getting one

Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
  • Rusty76
    258 I6
    • Jul 15, 2018

I ordered that set. Have no complaints.
    One tip I remember was to really look them over. Something about the cast/mold. I was all good.
    1976 Jeep Wagoneer
    Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
    Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• Curly5759
      232 I6
      • Mar 08, 2015

I bought one hoping it would increase my oil psi. No change. Fit fine, no leaks, etc. Nothing wrong with it, it just didn't solve my problem.
      77 Cherokee S 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by Curly5759
        I bought one hoping it would increase my oil psi. No change. Fit fine, no leaks, etc. Nothing wrong with it, it just didn't solve my problem.
        How did it measure?

To Tripwire, have you read Ristow's write-up on refurbishing a timing cover? http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106458
        Last edited by tgreese; 01-28-2021, 08:27 AM.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Curly5759
          232 I6
          • Mar 08, 2015

Originally posted by tgreese
          How did it measure?

To Tripwire, have you read Ristow's write-up on refurbishing a timing cover? http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106458

It measured the same as my old one. Gear side clearance and plastigauge on the end plate were the same, out of spec. I don't have the numbers anymore but the side clearance was too wide and the same with the end clearance. That was with a new coverplate. And before anyone asks, yes I do know how to use PG and a feeler gauge.

I replaced the old one hoping that it would solve persistently low oil psi at hot idle. It made no difference. Hot idle psi is less than 10psi, measured with a mechanical gauge and an aftermarket electric gauge. I've put 4K miles on it since and while the psi is low, there are no valve train or rod noises, and it runs well.
          77 Cherokee S 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• Crankyolman
            350 Buick
            • Sep 27, 2017

I can't tell you anything about BJ's timing cover but when I was looking at replacing mine I did a ton of research and found that there are only a couple manufacturers, one or two in China, and One in Korea, (I think). The Chinese ones are seriously problematic and the Korean ones tend to be a little hit and miss. I chose to buy from Bulltear.com because (at least they claim) they fit test every cover and are only a little more than BJ's. Given my history with BJ's and them arguing about bad parts and not wanting to take them back I would recommend going to Bulltear.

That's not to say Bulltear has great customer service, because they don't, in fact their customer service sucks and it took forever for them to ship the part, even though their website showed it had been shipped, but once I received it I had no worries that it wouldn't be in spec, although I did check and it was. It fit perfectly and works perfectly. I have 20psi at hot idle and 60 or 80 going down the road.
            Last edited by Crankyolman; 01-28-2021, 02:52 PM.
            '72 J4500

Comment

• tgreese
              • May 29, 2003

IIRC there exists a thinner gasket that can reduce the end play (Bulltear?). That might be an easier option than lapping as linked above. Supposedly the end play is critical, and the side play not so much.

Going by the usual rule of thumb (10psi for each 1000 RPM), 10 psi at idle should be ok. Not great, but adequate.
              Tim Reese
              Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
              Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
              Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
              GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
              ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• SC/397
                Administrator
                • Feb 01, 2010

This thread shows you how to check one for fit.
                With a few frozen water pump bolts, I get the sinking feeling that I may wind up with the timing cover off the vehicle in the next year or so. Thinking ahead... What do I need to look out for on the timing cover as far as needing to repair / replace it while it's off? Summit Racing sells two different covers, both with
                The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

Working...
                X