X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tinkerjeep
    Banned
    • Mar 01, 2009

Cool! Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I knew I couldn't be the only one not yet willing to replace the whole body because of honery rust!

Comment

• fej01
      232 I6
      • Apr 18, 2011

fluid film

Best rust prevention I've found is a product called fluid film, is made of lanolin. Developed by military in ww2. It's almost a jelly(get the n/a non aerosol for the thicker coating) it also works as a penetrant. Soaks into rusty metal, pushes out moisture and encapsulates. I've used it on a few vehicles with good results.Good for your hands and smells ok too. Anyone I've talked to weblogs used it swears by it.

Comment

• JeepJeepster
        350 Buick
        • Sep 04, 2014

Ive started using fluid film. Only down side is it needs to be applied at least yearly.
        2004 Jeep Liberty
        1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
        1994 Jeep ZJ I6
        1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• TexasJ10
          360 AMC
          • Jan 03, 2002

I think fluid film was originally developed solely for transport of equipment on open decks and not as long term protection. I think the product is probably much better today than as originally formulated and at least the manufacturer advertises longer life. Another downside is it is hard to remove completely, so if you try to use any other encapsulator or paint over the areas treated you may never get adhesion.
          * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
          * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
          . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
          * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• fej01
            232 I6
            • Apr 18, 2011

I have gone a few years between applications of fluid film witith no problems, but yearly world be better.my truck still has dust stuck on the lower sides of the doors from a fluid film application 6 years ago (I never wash my vehicles, until they're ready for a new coat of paint). If I need to remove fluid film,I use brake parts cleaner spray, but I haven't needed to do that often.

A cheaper alternative used in Vermont is bar and chain oil, it has tackifiers that keep it clinging to metal.

My best long-term solution is to sandblast and coat with fiberglass resin. The rough tooth of the sandblasted metal allows the epoxy to grab hold(it won't do well on smooth metal). I've had success with this for years. Best place for this is inside doors, at the bottom to prevent seam rot
            Last edited by fej01; 02-19-2015, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• twmattox
              350 Buick
              • Feb 24, 2003

Look into Rust Check. It is what I hope to start using. Thinner oil applied every 18-months or so. Has a very good reputation.
              '83 Scrambler (CJ-8) / 258 / T-5 / D-300 / DANA 30-AMC20 (3.31)
              '88 Grand Wagoneer (SJ) / 360 / TF727 / NP229 / DANA 44 (2.73)
              '05 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) / 4.0L / NSG 370 / NV231 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
              '15 Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) / 3.6L / 42 RLE / NV 241 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)

Comment

• nograin
                304 AMC
                • Dec 19, 2000

My experiences have been:
                • Rust converters work but don't get deep enough.
                • All primers are permeable - if not top coated - moisture gets through.
                • Corroless is the only exception to this. I'm not aware of any current US retailer. (They're a UK based company) I've had very good experiences using corroless with and without topcoat. At least 3-4 years on cars and 10 years plus on fence iron. Eastwood now carries their own version instead, and its not the same at all.
                • Hammerite Paint seems to hold up, but I don't have as much time on them. No primer, apply direct to non-flaky lightly rusted surfaces. US formula appears to be the same as UK formula, but US licensee is clueless if you ask them any tech questions. A long time ago I was told its a styrenated paint. Very hard and smooth finish. Brush formula slightly different than spray (according to MSDS) in at least some colors. Flake finish might be more moisture resistant - I couldn't find out.
                • When rust is flaking, every flake has moisture trapping capacity undeneath.
                • When using Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, either top coat or go over with body filler that has aluminum flakes in it. Then top coat.
                • For crevices and locations that can't be properly prepped, the wax like stuff seems the best option. Of course if you're planning to weld in that location later on, it will be a bit of a mess and likely will ignite especially if using oxy-acet. I've used LPV 3 and Waxoyl (another UK product) which has a hand pump contraction. But the waxoyl has to be warm to apply. It never really hardens - probably essentially the same as the Texaco product etc.
                • Final one - Epoxy paints are not answer alone, even POR15. If its rusty, they need a primer-prep or the rust will grow underneath. They say now, but I found out the hard way. If you can't prep it right, then its the same issue as with any paint.
                '85 Grand Wagoneer
                360 727auto, NP229
                body by beer (PO)
                carries wood inside
                no "wood" outside
                My other car is a fish

Comment

• Mike D
                  350 Buick
                  • Jul 29, 2002

So for the US folk... Hammerite Paint is the way to go ?

My 63/64 has surface rust on the top and id like to get that stopped before its gets out of control .....

I got married and it was not there ..... sat for years with no attention and now after 8 years its starting to rust up there .... cant ignore the Red Wagoneer anymore ...
                  64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                  50 truck
                  63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
                  And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• Mike D
                    350 Buick
                    • Jul 29, 2002

Originally posted by Mike D
                    So for the US folk... Hammerite Paint is the way to go ?

My 63/64 has surface rust on the top and id like to get that stopped before its gets out of control .....

I got married and it was not there ..... sat for years with no attention and now after 8 years its starting to rust up there .... cant ignore the Red Wagoneer anymore ...
                    What about Corroseal ?? is it a rip-off of Corroless ?

64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                    50 truck
                    63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
                    And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• FSJunkie
                      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                      • Jan 09, 2011

My method of rust prevention and mitigation is staying as far from the Midwest and Northeast as possible. I call the entire region of the country that is north and east of Oklahoma the "DANGER ZONE". Weather within this zone is basically divinely engineered to destroy automobiles and human factors make it even worse, particularly the insane use of road salt. I HATE ROAD SALT!!! Rules within the zone are as follows:

1. At no time shall any car venture outside a garage from October through May unless complete and instant removal of all metallic parts is desired.
                      2. No car shall be started without the use of a block heater from December through March unless excess engine wear is desired.
                      3. No driving shall be performed from May through September without A/C.
                      4. No car shall be left unattended outside for more than 5 minutes any time of year unless sandblasted paint, hail dents, and a fencepost through the windshield is desired.
                      5. The engine air cleaner and breather filter shall be maintained to the highest quality unless ruined cylinder bores are desired.
                      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Bill J
                        232 I6
                        • May 25, 2005

Originally posted by FSJunkie
                        My method of rust prevention and mitigation is staying as far from the Midwest and Northeast as possible. I call the entire region of the country that is north and east of Oklahoma the "DANGER ZONE". Weather within this zone is basically divinely engineered to destroy automobiles and human factors make it even worse, particularly the insane use of road salt. I HATE ROAD SALT!!! Rules within the zone are as follows:

1. At no time shall any car venture outside a garage from October through May unless complete and instant removal of all metallic parts is desired.
                        2. No car shall be started without the use of a block heater from December through March unless excess engine wear is desired.
                        3. No driving shall be performed from May through September without A/C.
                        4. No car shall be left unattended outside for more than 5 minutes any time of year unless sandblasted paint, hail dents, and a fencepost through the windshield is desired.
                        5. The engine air cleaner and breather filter shall be maintained to the highest quality unless ruined cylinder bores are desired.
                        Come on, its not really that bad here! If Jeep (or me) had only put a drain hole in the darn frame of my TJ, I would not be crying now thinking about having to fix said frame...plus I perhaps should have rinsed off the caked salt that slowly is destroying the fenders of same Jeep...that being said, there is a tremendous overuse of road salt here to the detriment of cars, grass, concrete, runoff into waterways...so if anyone wants to do some welding in Northern NJ, I have a candidate for you!
                        1989 Grand Wagoneer, Sold
                        1997 Wrangler TJ
                        2004 Honda Accord
                        2012 Honda Odyssey

?This car is a squadron of nuts and bolts flying together in loose formation.? - Colin Beer

www.colinmichaelfund.org

Comment

• k13evin
                          232 I6
                          • Mar 02, 2015

Try some of the KBS RustBlast stuff. every thing they make is very good plus shipping is cheap to, i have a 75 bronco that was loaded with rust and it worked like a charm.
                          1990 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, Carb 2150
                          31x10.5/15 4in lift
                          200000 miles and still rolling

Comment

Working...
                          X