Picking up my 2nd Wagoneer, a 1978 with a 401!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sallad
    232 I6
    • Feb 21, 2010

Picking up my 2nd Wagoneer, a 1978 with a 401!

I've had my 1987 Grand Wagoneer going on 4 years now. It's now creeping up on 200k miles and the original 360 is getting pretty tired. Last weekend, I picked up a torn apart AMC 360 for $150 with the intention of doing a mild rebuild. Well, the next Wednesday, a 1978 Wagoneer with a 401 was posted on Craigslist for $1000. The guy said it ran but wasn't in great shape. Ok, for $1000 I have to take a look.

I get there, everything under the hood is original, it still has all the emissions stuff for pete's sake. The engine runs pretty strong, the brakes work and the tires hold air. The frame... isn't in the best shape. I offer the guy $800 and he said it's mine!

My plan is to pull the 401, rebuild it and drop it in my 87. I'll pull a few other odds and ends off it and try to sell the rest of the drive train. When I got home, I notice both shock mounts were broke up front. Not sure how I missed that before, but what you don't know can't hurt you!

Here's a few pictures. First, my 87 wagon in it's current state:

Earlier in the summer, stalled the truck in the middle of the hole. Starter stopped working here too. Winch paid for itself here. Fun day!

A few weeks ago, hit a few mud puddles

Now, the 78:

Boobie grill

The woodgrain is in excellent shape

Broken shock mount

I love this style dash

Interior has seen better days though...

With the frame rot, I don't think this Wagoneer will see the road much more. I'll be putting some parts up for sale in the future. If anyone is looking for anything in particular, feel free to PM me.
  • BGW
    350 Buick
    • Jan 02, 2009

That body looks really good for how badly the frame is rusted, except for the bottom of the tailgate. I wonder if it has been repaired in the past? Anywho, nice to see you've got a plan and you're keeping it AMC powered.
    1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• Wagnstuff
      232 I6
      • Apr 30, 2012

Congrats on finding a pretty good deal! I totally agree with you about that dash being preferable to the later one, and i'm about to get a winch your photo and story is helping push me over the edge to buy it ( thinking 12,000 pound Harbor freight one is the best deal from the reviews I've read)
      1989 GW 3'' lift, locking Airlocker rear, 408i FI crate motor(Chrysler)

Comment

• BGW
        350 Buick
        • Jan 02, 2009

I'm always surprised that people like that dash so much. The 1986+ dashes have a much, much better heater/ac controller (and location) and the gauges are far more accurate. I guess the gauges themselves are a little more stylish, I bet that's the appeal.
        1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• mnewxcv
          232 I6
          • Jan 12, 2010

Originally posted by BGW
          That body looks really good for how badly the frame is rusted, except for the bottom of the tailgate. I wonder if it has been repaired in the past? Anywho, nice to see you've got a plan and you're keeping it AMC powered.

from the looks of it, the whole lower half of the rig is rustproof primer red
          wanting my own FSJ

Comment

• sallad
            232 I6
            • Feb 21, 2010

Originally posted by mnewxcv
            from the looks of it, the whole lower half of the rig is rustproof primer red
            There's no shortage of rust on the rockers and the bottom parts of the door. Looks like the frame was painted at one point but it's still not a pretty sight.

Comment

• sallad
              232 I6
              • Feb 21, 2010

Originally posted by BGW
              I'm always surprised that people like that dash so much. The 1986+ dashes have a much, much better heater/ac controller (and location) and the gauges are far more accurate. I guess the gauges themselves are a little more stylish, I bet that's the appeal.
              It's the gauges that do it for me. I do tend to agree about the heater controls though.

Comment

Working...
              X