Mudbull-68 Gladiator diesel build-need help deciding things...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glenn715
    230 Tornado
    • Apr 17, 2009

Wow can't believe the finished rig is the same one you started with. Nice job.

Comment

• geofro84
      230 Tornado
      • Jan 24, 2014

that's looking good I hope my turns out half as good

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
        Banned
        • Mar 01, 2009

that is cool. any drivability issues?

Comment

• GWDriver
          304 AMC
          • Jul 07, 2003

Just read this complete thread at one sitting. Nothing like watching something like this come together at 'light speed'. Almost like watching a Youtube video only longer. Great looking rig and excellent workmanship. Congratulations to you and your Dad.
          LarryD
          USMC Retired

Good Lovin', Good Beer, and a Grand Wagoneer. What more could one want?

1984 Grand Wagoneer My therapy
          1988 GMC Suburban soon to be retired. . .SOLD
          2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS/LX Wifes DD
          2003 Dodge TD 4x4 long bed

Comment

• JeepNOFEAR
            350 Buick
            • Nov 09, 2004

Awesome build and very nice work throughout!
            76 Cherokee Camo(Parts)
            76 Cherokee Camo 401/TH400/Dana300/HD44/14bolt/36s
            77 Cherokee blue 360/T18/D20/33s
            1969 AMC Javelin SST 390
            1968 AMC Javelin SST 290 (Parts)

Comment

• Mudbull
              232 I6
              • Aug 11, 2011

Thanks guys!

I have to say there a no drivability issues that ive noticed so far. The one issue though is that at 50-60mph the military tires have a bad vibration. Anything slower or faster and its pretty smooth. I can run all day long with the radiator fan off and not go past 180 degrees, if im in traffic I can sit still w/ the fan on low and be at ~170deg.
              Ive calculated my mileage on two occasions to the nearest 1/4 gallon over a few hundred miles, the first trip was 23mpg, the second trip I got 19mpg (mix hwy/city, second was a lot of overtaking on back roads).

Just another small update while im here, I got a toolbox and had to narrow it by about 15 inches to work, but it works great now.

1968 Gladiator Thriftside
              12v p-pump cummins
              Nv5600/Nv241dhd, D60 front, D80 rear

Comment

• pyro
                258 I6
                • Sep 15, 2012

looks awesome with those wheels. great thread idk how i missed it!
                '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
                '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

FSJNetwork Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Comment

• Strode
                  1st Chair, Cowbell
                  • Nov 08, 2011

Really nice work. Good job
                  Brad
                  (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Very nice and almost twice the mpg that my trucks are getn

Comment

• TheDude
                      232 I6
                      • Dec 30, 2010

Ho-lee...

Nice work man.

RM

Comment

• Mudbull
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 11, 2011

Thanks guys!

I havnt done much with the truck in the past several weeks, ive been busy with my car and with life. I did however develop a fuel leak at the tank (weld cracked from vibrations/big bump) that I will try to fix memorial day weekend. I put an offer on a home so all funds have shifted to that until I hear about it (its a shortsale so no telling how long itll take).

While ive been sitting here I started thinking about where I want to be with this truck in the future, the answer was that more recently ive wanted/needed a vehicle that can seat more than two people. Ive thought about just buying a new truck, but I don't have the room for another vehicle, and don't want the Gladiator to sit not being used. So, my (current) idea is to do this charade all over again: Buy a donor Cummins Ram, modify the frame, buy a Wagoneer, drop the body on it. Im going to keep the Dana 80 rear and NV5600 6spd for the Wagoneer. Its tough to say, but when were all done ill be selling the Gladiator.

That was just an idea, well see how it pans out in the coming months. Until then I need to rebuild my cars transmission, and Ill probably finish the interior on the truck a bit more.

12v p-pump cummins

Comment

• RKSNOW1
                          230 Tornado
                          • Jun 10, 2014

I know Im a bit late to finding this post but just took the last hour to read through it... You built a beautiful truck. Ive been building my 68 Gladiator in spare time and just did a SBC/turbo 350 swap.. I wanted a diesel but didn't have the knowledge or faith to make the leap... I don't think it will ever compare to your truck though. When it comes time to sell it please PM me. Id love to come check it out.

Looking forward to seeing your Waggoneer Ram build when you do it...

Comment

• Mudbull
                            232 I6
                            • Aug 11, 2011

Thanks for the compliments! Unfortunately for fun projects, After my cars suspension project I'll be buying a 3rd gen 4dr 4x4 short bed 6spd cummins ram (and nothing else if I have to drive a 'normal' vehicle) instead of a wagoneer. But I will be selling the kaiser since I don't have the space to keep it.

Since my last post I had my head gasket start to blow (coolant was over pressurizing). So a new cummins gasket and a check on all the injectors and all is well.

Last week I went 240mi relatively nonstop with no issues to pick up my Miller syncrowave 351 from my dad's shop

12v p-pump cummins

Comment

• Mudbull
                              232 I6
                              • Aug 11, 2011

Well, it happened again, another clueless driver had to bump into me. So I guess I'll be on here a bit more than I have been...I was in the left lane driving past some traffic That was in the right, someone stopped in traffic in the right lane 'waved' a guy to make a u-turn. The guy u-turning listened to the guy stopped in traffic and pulled out when I was maybe 50' away. I don't know how he didn't see me, unless he was solely looking at the guy waving. I scrubbed some speed before hitting him, but not enough. The U-turner was liable for damages, so now I need to wait for a claims adjuster and start looking for parts.

I don't know the 'Kelly blue book' price that they're going to use, but I'm a little worried about what they'll say (by either not giving me enough money, or by totaling it), for what it's worth the police report estimates it at $4k damage.

It was a good feeling that a few guys I've met in the area wo are into cars or did a cummins swap themselves stopped as they were driving by to see how I was. No bangs or scratches, just some bent metal
                              12v p-pump cummins

Comment

• 350 Vortec
                                232 I6
                                • Oct 17, 2014

Oh that's a shame,lovely truck but I guess it's relatively easy to fix ,dealing with insurance company may be the difficult part(certainly is over here)best of luck to you

Comment

Working...
                                X