• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighRide
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 27, 2015

HELPPPP F250 retro in a 67 Waggonner

OK .. Not sure if this is where i should put this if not bump it please to where it needs be. I just picked up a 84 F250 4x4 for free it runs even lol.. It has the 6.9 in it. My goal is i really want a diesel in my 67. I tow alot and some loads are big. So my question is folkd and I need help ..

1 Is it even feasible

2 has anyone ever even attempted it

3 what would be a better option

My 67 has a 455 olds in it now and I really want to pull it as I dont wanna spend a fortune just driving to the store

It has factory stock suspension as well. No clue what the trany is or trans any help ideas or suggestions would be awesome

Thanks
    Last edited by HighRide; 04-11-2017, 07:07 PM.
    FSJ year looking like a 67 455 Olds
    77 Sport Bronco 347 stroked
    69 Baja Race bug
    To many sandrails to even mention
  • EKWagoneer
    232 I6
    • Jun 01, 2016

Yes, this swap would be possible. I would just worry about space. Not saying it isn't there, it would just be tight.
    There is a member on here with a built 6.5 in one, but is not a stock FSJ.
    A better option in my opinion would be a 4bt Cummins. Not a ginormous engine, but it can work hard. 6bt if you can fit it. (Length!)
    You'll most likely need to bump up the front suspension substantially. I would recommend just going to 3/4 or 1 ton axles, but keep lift to a minimum, unless you want to lift it. Your vehicle, not mine!
    Jeep Transmission:
    Manual- T-18, Muncie 420/465 are good guesses, I am not sure.
    Auto- GM TH400

Being a GM guy myself, I would recommend ditching the Ferd, either selling or parting out to acquire a better swap candidate. The 6.9 is an International IDI (Indirect Injected) motor, and is the precursor to the 7.3, and is pretty good. They are naturally aspirated unless a dealer put on a turbo kit.

Completely your call on all of this.

Hope this helps.
    Ely
    1973 Wagoneer- nearly stock, work in progress
    1/2 1975 Wagoneer- rolling chassis, D44's 6" lift, 35's, work in progress
    1992 Chevy Suburban 1500 Silverado, mostly stock, 396,000 miles and counting

I'm a secondhand vegetarian- cows eat grass, I eat cows.

Have A Nice Day!

Comment

• HighRide
      230 Tornado
      • Sep 27, 2015

I have a 95 f250 thats a super work hours 244 k on it and it still keeps haulin.. I was wondering about using the running gear as well .. or maybe just doing a body swap to the f 250 frame I'm running 33's on my 250 now with no issues.

Thanks Ely for the info
      69 Baja Race bug

Comment

• HighRide
        230 Tornado
        • Sep 27, 2015

Oh forgot to mention I'm a fabricator . CNC plasma cutter and 4' 20 ton brake and press plus so much more lol
        69 Baja Race bug

Comment

• EKWagoneer
          232 I6
          • Jun 01, 2016

Fab skills will help
          A body swap would be a decent option in your situation I think. I imagine you would have to shorten the frame? Just make sure to look at all the possibilities first...

Any more questions, just ask.

Ely
          1973 Wagoneer- nearly stock, work in progress
          1/2 1975 Wagoneer- rolling chassis, D44's 6" lift, 35's, work in progress
          1992 Chevy Suburban 1500 Silverado, mostly stock, 396,000 miles and counting

I'm a secondhand vegetarian- cows eat grass, I eat cows.

Have A Nice Day!

Comment

• HighRide
            230 Tornado
            • Sep 27, 2015

Shorten the frame deffinatly and WB might be a issue. The Fiord ( cuz i know nobody likes them ) Has a 60" inner wb and stock wagonner is 52.5" i think with offset rims and some fender flares on the rear it should fit though havent done the math yet lol

Frame width is 40' on the fiord and 38.5 on the wag so not much diff there
            69 Baja Race bug

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

No idea/info on the swap specifics but am a fan of the 6.9 dsl. Had an 86 250 4WD w/6.9 and loved that truck. Great motor.
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                Cherokee Outlaw
                • Jan 10, 2006

Just my opinion, but while the 6.9 is a good reliable engine, it is a complete turd in the power department. I think a 4bt would fit better and out pull the 6.9 any day. Even with half the cylinders.
                That said, is that F250 TTB front suspension? If so, I'd nix the frame/body swap. Is the Ford auto or manual? If your Wag has a 455 in it now the 6.9 should fit decently as they're close to the same size, dimensions wise. Then again, anything is possible for a fabricator
                Good luck! And...
                -Jonny B.
                1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• BA_051
                  232 I6
                  • May 06, 2008

As EKwagoneer mentioned, the FSJ used various transmissions... Here is a link to a tech page with all the drive train info you need...
                  The largest resource for full size Jeep information on the net! The IFSJA is a community of owners and enthusiasts of SJ series Full Size Jeeps.

The 6.9 is a pretty big engine. The early 7.3 is also the same footprint, just a larger bore and stroke and not the same as the direct injected 7.3 powerstroke... I put a 6.5 Optimizer with an HX35 in my 74 J10 and had to remove the heater box and blower from under the hood to allow the turbo and downpipe...

The International diesels (6.9, 7.3, 6.5 Optimizer, and 6.5 P400) all share the same injection pumps as the GM 6.2 and 6.5's and adding a turbo to a 6.9 or 7.3 will wake it up... I put an HX35 on my 6.5 and turned the pump up 3/4 turn running 20 psi and it pulled 14,000 lbs from Albuquerque to Everett (1500 miles) averaging 14 mpg (J10 in my sig)... anything less than 1500 rpm will roll coal if I stomp on it, but anything above that it will boost and just go...

If you want a lot of power, then a 6bt is the way to go... They are about 1300 lbs fully dressed but you can use the agricultural exhaust manifold with an hx35 or hx40 and it wont interfere with the heater box. A lot of fab work to get it shoehorned in (length) and a ~2" lift spring in the front will make it sit as the same stock height.

Good fuel economy, probably the best will be the 4bt. They are about 900lbs fully dressed, are a lot easier to fab in, and will tow pretty good once in a while...

The 6.9 and 7.3's are very wide diesels and are about 1000-1100 lbs dressed. Equally as durable as the 4/6bt's... I tried to fit one in my J10 originally, but it had to sit pretty high so the manifolds would clear the inner fenders... I did not want to cut them up to get it to fit... They will fit, but it will take some finesse to get it to fit width wise.

And then the GM diesels are easiest and cheapest to swap in. The International versions (same as GM but produced after 2001) dont suffer from the same issues the GM versions do. Decent power when turbo'ed and decent fuel mileage (I am averaging 17-18 mpgs). You can also get a supercharger kit for the 6.5's from bullet racing to upgrade an NA 6.5 and you wont have any fitment issues at all... I have heard they are not as durable as the other diesels, but I have sene some go as far as 750k miles...

I went the cheapest route since I didnt have a diesel at all and I got the 6.5 for a great price...
                  Last edited by BA_051; 04-12-2017, 04:35 PM.
                  1974 Jeep J20, gladiator grill, 6BTAA cummins, York OBA, HX55, 5in exhaust, Mercedes G56/ford np205, 14b kingpin axle, 14b rear axle, 4.56 gears, 40x13.50r17's on 17x10 mags

Comment

• HighRide
                    230 Tornado
                    • Sep 27, 2015

the tranny is a auto and yes its not the straight axle front end.. i'm thinking maybe just sell the 250 for what i can get for it look for some 3/4 ton front and rear axles and see if i can find a 6bt..

Its all up in the air now lol

PS> Heavy your right but NO pics yet still in the planing stage so its just a old wag right now lol
                    69 Baja Race bug

Comment

• joe
                      • Apr 28, 2000

Just reread the original post and caught the "I tow a lot" part. Regarding that part and using a 6.9 I would highly consider your current axle gear ratios. Though I really like the all around use of the 6.9 if it's geared too high, though it worked well as a daily driver, it sucked for heavy towing. Mine came with 3.55's and it was a DOG for towing. Eventually I swapped in 4.10's. Woke that old truck right up! Best mod I ever did for that 6.9 They or mine anyway, liked the 2200-2500 RPM range. Most car/small truck dsl's IMHO don't deal well with too high of gearing(lower numerically). Just something to consider in your dsl swap budget.
                      joe

Comment

• Mikel
                        • Aug 09, 2000

What do you plan on towing? The engine is just one piece of the equation. Wagoneers don't have a very long wheelbase and the factory brakes are not spectacular.

What kind of MPG do you get with the 455? How's the power?
                        1969 M715 6x6
                        1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• XJ2CJ
                          232 I6
                          • May 27, 2015

I'm planning to swap my J10 onto an F250 chassis. I found a thread showing a 6.9 or 7.3 in a waggy. For the old style heater mounted in the engine bay there isn't room for it next to the engine. The solution is to use one of the modular heater units that mounts under the dash.

http://s1343.beta.photobucket.com/user/831wagger/media/2012-02-05164254.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0started my 7.3 swap with an idi and banks turbo, zf 5 manual trans. any ideas for radiator size?
                          1967 Gladiator J2000, 4x4, 351W, T19, D44/F8.8

Comment

• joe
                            • Apr 28, 2000

Highride, any progress updates on your 6.9 into wag swap?
                            joe

Comment

• IDIWagoneer
                              230 Tornado
                              • Apr 16, 2019

6.9 in your waggy

I’m new here but I just finished this swap I put a 6.9 IDI with a t18 4 speed manual trans for a 84 f350 in my 87 grand wagoneer
                              Last edited by IDIWagoneer; 05-06-2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X