• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

LS rockers

Originally posted by jcisworthy
    I adapt LS mini shaft rockers to AMC bridge heads. They have a 1.7 rocker ratio
    Any more info on this? Be interested in seeing this.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8
  • jcisworthy
    232 I6
    • Apr 01, 2016

Not right now.

Takes some modification to the LS shaft stand, additional clearance on the pushrod slots and pushrods but nothing major.

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by jcisworthy
      Not right now.

Takes some modification to the LS shaft stand, additional clearance on the pushrod slots and pushrods but nothing major.
      Found your thread on AMC forum...looks like stockers are an option as well.
      Who knew!
      Tony

Comment

• jcisworthy
        232 I6
        • Apr 01, 2016

I have a 401 engine in Australia with factory LS rockers, stands, and Comp Cams trunion upgrade.

That setup is not adjustable, similar to the factory bridge rockers. That engine made 531 hp and it in a left hand drive, very nice, 68 or 69 Javelin.

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

I moved these to a new thread. Pretty cool that you found this.

On a stock 360 the LS rockers would give ~.0266 additional lift.
          A poor man's cam swap kinda.
          Local yard charges 2.30/ea for rocker arms so ~$40 set.
          But I have seen stock sets for sale too for cheap on CL.
          Some new pushrods obviously needed as well.

Would a stock or mild cam like "RV" cam need the pushrod holes slotted?
          Tony

Comment

• jcisworthy
            232 I6
            • Apr 01, 2016

I do not remember having to slot the pushrod holes with the stock LS rocker setup but it was about five years ago when I built that engine

Trunion upgrade is not needed to about .600 lift with the factory LS rocker as well.

Swap out the 8mm bolts with 5/16 cap screws, cut the LS stand in four sections and mount one pair per intake/exhaust. I think the factory LS may even work with a stock length pushrod. Geometry was pretty close as a bolt on if I remember correctly. I do not remember having to shim the rocker stands but again, I can be wrong, it all has to be checked as well as preload on the lifers.

The mini shafts I use now are / seem like, a T&D copy and they require additional clearance and pushrod length. They have a different installed height than the factory setup and they are adjustable.

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

I may give this a try be cool to get the little extra lift w/o swapping the cam!
              Pretty cool you discovered this! I applaud your outside the box thinking.

Do you recall if they cleared stock valve covers?
              Tony

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                350 Buick
                • Feb 15, 2010

or purchase a set of roller rockers designed for the motor?

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
                  or purchase a set of roller rockers designed for the motor?
                  Uh they are rollers and cheap.
                  A set of AMC 1.7 rollers not so much and a HUGE waste of money on a stock engine.

Free Shipping - Crane Gold Race Extruded Rocker Arms with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Rocker Arms at Summit Racing.

Free Shipping - Scorpion Endurance Series Rocker Arms with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Rocker Arms at Summit Racing.

Free Shipping - Harland Sharp Original Roller Rockers with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Rocker Arms at Summit Racing.

All $400+ stock LS rockers can be bought dirt cheap.
                  Last edited by babywag; 04-06-2019, 06:59 PM.
                  Tony

Comment

• jcisworthy
                    232 I6
                    • Apr 01, 2016

They clear stock valve covers.

Make sure you have enough distance to coil bind before doing anything. If the extra lift ends up in coil bind you will have issues.

Should have enough but it needs to be checked.

Factory LS rockers are very strong. They are also lighter over the valve compared to aftermarket rockers.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                      350 Buick
                      • Feb 15, 2010

You are talking about trying to get tiny amounts of horsepower in your stock motors. It all seems to be a bit of a waste of time and funds. you will have to replace pushrods, may have to have machine work done and may have to replace valve springs? Again for what, to say I have roller rockers on my stock motor?

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

For same reasons folks install EFI, headers, etc. I like to modify things.
                        It is more about the added lift than having rollers.
                        Tony

Comment

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
                          You are talking about trying to get tiny amounts of horsepower in your stock motors. It all seems to be a bit of a waste of time and funds. you will have to replace pushrods, may have to have machine work done and may have to replace valve springs? Again for what, to say I have roller rockers on my stock motor?
                          There isn't exactly anything practical about having one of these vehicles in the first place. What does it matter if someone sticks to the "most practical" build on a motor? It's pretty laughable that this is a question in the first place. We're all here because we're crazy, no two ways about it.

aa
                          1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

I see a huge benefit to this idea!

If I am in the market to rebuild a mid 70's to early 90's 360 (or even just do the heads) with bridged rockers, then this would be right up my alley because its a cheap/reliable "upgrade".

When I pulled my 401 apart the studs, fulcrums, and rockers all had wear on them and needed to be replaced. So instead of paying $180 for a set of replacement rockers and another $30 for the studs, this option would give a rebuilder a cheaper route AND the benefit of a more stable valve train. The extra lift is nice but shaft mounted rockers is awesome. If someone were to do a warmed up engine rebuild and this idea works, why would you NOT do this?
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Ristow
                              • Jan 20, 2006

as a fellow gearhead....sitting around talking about the time you bought new rockers for your engine and bolted them in is boring.

id rather sit around and talk about stuff like this. oddly enough,the why of it all rarely comes up .
                              Originally posted by Hankrod
                              Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                              ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                              I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

Working...
                              X