• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kansas_Nova
    232 I6
    • Oct 02, 2011

1983 Wagoneer Build

For starters, I'm Nick, I'm 17 years young and recently purchased a 1983 Wagoneer. However this is not my first car, I bought a nova at age 15 and the old 350 started knocking so i figured it was time for an LS-swap. I swapped a 2004 LQ4 6.0 into the nova backed by the muncie tranny. I did all the work alone in our two car garage. It was a great learning experience and a good problem solving lesson. Here is the build ,ttp://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1243718-lq4-into-1972-nova-build-10.html, for anybody interested. And if you have any questions about an LS swap in your FSJ I might be able to help out a bit.

Onto the main reason I'm here. I picked up the wagoneer from a guy of craigslist for $1800. It was in grandma's car from 1985-1992, when the lady passed away it sat in a barn from 1992-2007 with 59,000 miles on it. The man I bought it from bought the Jeep in 2007 at an auction, and when i bought it from him it only had 83,000 miles.

It has very little rust, only a spot the size of a quarter behind the passenger side rear wheel, and a small dent on the opposite side. Paint is decent (besides the part where somebody decided it was a good idea to tear off the wood paneling) Runs and drives very nice, typical drive train, AMC 360, 727, NP-229, Dana 44 front, AMC-20 rear.
    Interior needs alot of work, I will explain more about that in a little.
    Enough of the talk, here are the pictures when I brought it home.

I don't know what somebody was thinking when they tried to "paint" over the wood paneling the peeled off with a brush.

^only spot of rust

Motor needs a good deep cleaning.

nice clean,cancer free floor pans in the cargo area after I ripped out the old carpeting.

Like I said before, The nova is my nice weather, summer car. This is my winter, rainy,snowy, long trip car, I will be driving the wagoneer 80% of the time. Plans for Wagoneer are as follows.

Four inch all spring lift.
    33's
    Paint (repainted same coppper metallic color)
    Bumpers that i will fab in my Metal fabrication class.
    Carpeting
    Nice seats, or seat covers.
    Rhino Grill.
    Rear tire carrier on bumper,
    Stereo with all new speakers,
    Valve covers, Oil pan, headers and full exhaust going into a single magnaflow.
    Roof rack
    All the windows work except the driver window (needs new flex rack)
    Thats about it for now except for a bunch of little odds and ends.

Here is a picture of my brothers 98 TJ that he gave to me when he went into the Army (which I am selling to get funds for the Waggy), Then my Nova i swapped an LS into, and then my twin brothers 2000 Silverado.
    1983 Wagoneer 360-727-NP229
    4 in. Skyjacker
    31x10.50 Goodyear Wrangler AT's
  • Kansas_Nova
    232 I6
    • Oct 02, 2011

Here is a Gladiator (Rhino) Grille I bought off of ebay, it came with the grill, headlights with bezels, pie pans, turn signal lenses both clear and amber, J-200 badges (which I don't need, make offer if you are wanting them) 4 Wheel Drive badges, J-200 ashtray. I picked the whole thing up for $340 including shipping which i think is a pretty good deal.
    4 in. Skyjacker

Comment

Nice! Welcome!!!

Comment

• nclugnut
        258 I6
        • Oct 23, 2006

looks like a wagoneer worth saving. I look forward to seeing it progress
        89 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229/D44 on both ends trimmed fenders 4in lift and 33x12.50 Pro Comp MT

Comment

• Wagn Man
          258 I6
          • Jun 23, 2009

Good looking rig, should be quite good project
          78 Chero NT..... nickname "Crash"
          84 GW 401, Rhino Grille
          03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD My DD/Tow Rig

Comment

• Kansas_Nova
            232 I6
            • Oct 02, 2011

Ive read countless threads, Ive read the instruction information on bjs site, and I cant for the life of me cant put a Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogley flex rack on with out it breaking sometime throughout the process.
            I thought for sure i had it on right this last time the window was going down smoothly and then when i was attempting to put it back up the flex rack came off of the top seperate piece of track. I have no idea on earth how it happened, my guess is that it came off the track when it was going down? there is a small gap in between the two tracks, is this what is causing all my frustration, I dont know what else to do, and Ive gone through $60 worth of flex tracks and im tired of it.
            4 in. Skyjacker

Comment

• Kansas_Nova
              232 I6
              • Oct 02, 2011

I removed all the wood paneling today, minus some of the black adhesive where the trim was. It took me 4 hours to get it all done, and 3 Rubber eraser wheels from 3M (also referred to as "stripe off" wheels) they are expensive, and if I took my time i probably would have only gone through 2. They run about $30 a piece. anyways, I cleaned up the rest of the adhesive with some Goo-gone and I will finish up the black stuff with a razor blade.

before

after (still needs a little more clean up)
              4 in. Skyjacker

Comment

• mt pokitz
                232 I6
                • Apr 02, 2008

looks good with the woodgrain peeled off, paint looks nice, a little buff & wax it will look real nice
                77 j10 short bed 360/3spd
                79 wagoneer rust in pieces
                79 cj5 258/t-18/d20

Comment

• Kansas_Nova
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 02, 2011

UPS delivered a lot of parts over the week, This weekend i will be replaceing the oil pan gasket, (i also got that beefy oil pan with the 3/16 steel skid plate) rear main seal, valve cover and valve cover gasket, oil pump rebuild, ditch alot of the vacuum lines and emissions crap, replace oil pressure sender, temp sender, as well as the plugs and general cleaning/painting. It looks like i have my work cut out for me this weekend! after that i will be working on interior, plans are as follows, insulation, carpet, stereo install, seat covers and weather stripping. Pics to come!

Nick
                  4 in. Skyjacker

Comment

• Kansas_Nova
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 02, 2011

I installed the new flex rack, and i ended up using one of those plastic inserts i found in the "license plate fasteners" bin at the local Ace. the track itself was bent so on my workbench I straightened it out and now the window goes up and down properly!

next up...

fuel level sender,
                    cargo panels,
                    carpet,
                    valve covers and vacuum lines

Thanks!
                    4 in. Skyjacker

Comment

• Kansas_Nova
                      232 I6
                      • Oct 02, 2011

Well, the window worked for a day....then the flex track broke again. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong when im installing it. I think the problem lies where the upper track is connected to the lower track assembly, any suggestions? I'm debating whether or not to convert my driver side window to a manual set-up.

On a brighter note, I installed my Rhino Grill. I have yet to install the headlights and Im still trying to find a set of lights to fit into the smaller openings to replace the pie pans.

I am just mocking things up for now as the waggy is getting bodywork and paint sometime this week or next.

4 in. Skyjacker

Comment

• Pman
                        350 Buick
                        • Apr 24, 2004

Nice work so far, Nick; looking forward to seeing your progress on the rig. Wish I could offer you some solid advice on the flex-track debacle. Sounded like you had it licked.
                        Pearsall Smith
                        82 Wagoneer Limited (Cracker)-360 c.i.d.,Rusty's 4" Lift, Rancho RS9000x Shocks, TFI Upgrade, BFG 31" All Terrains
                        88 Wrangler Laredo (Tubbles)-258 c.i.d.,33" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains,3.5" lift, 8000lb. Warn Winch, Aussie Locker (Front)
                        81 CJ 5 (Lulu)-304-T150-D20
                        82 CJ 8 Scrambler- 258-T5-D300

Comment

• jaber
                          Dragin Az
                          • Oct 17, 2003

Welcome to the land of empty pockets and unfinished projects...

Looks like you are making good progress.
                          Where are you getting your flex's from? Can you loosen one track and close the gap?
                          The last 2 years they used a cable system that swaps right in. Check the sale section here for parts.
                          Jeff

'43 cj2a
                          '51 Willys p/u
                          '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                          '68 Panel Delivery
                          '74 CJ5
                          '75 J-20 Wrecker
                          '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                          '77 J-10 p/u
                          '79 Cherokee
                          '88 Grand Wagoneer
                          '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Kansas_Nova
                            232 I6
                            • Oct 02, 2011

I ended up welding the track together, It was too much of a pain to try and close the gap, it would always re-open the gap when the motor torqued up and moved the track.

I installed the carpet in the cargo area as well as cargo boards. I also installed a Kenwood headunit and Polk 5.25 marine speakers in the rear, and waiting to get some more money to put Polk 6x9's up front.

I plan on pulling the motor out within the next couple weeks for oil pan gasket, oil pump rebuild, all new vacuum lines, valve stem seals, valve cover gasket, along with other odds and ends. I do realize I could accomplish all the stuff previously listed witht he motor in the car but I will have plenty of time over winter break, plus the motor and engine bay need a good deep cleaning and a few cans of paint.

Within a few weeks hopefully I will have all the carpet installed, which brings me to the next few questions about the interior, Ive been looking for center consoles from different catalogs to replace the armrest/tiny middle seat. It would cost $1000+ to re-upholster the front two buckets so I am looking for new seats up front. I understand that Dodge Durango buckets fit the Wagoneer seat tracks? Any idea of what year Durango to look for? I dont mind doing a little cutting, bending, or drilling to install the new seats, but I do not have a welder so I cant just make new seat frames. Any other options for seats would be great.

Also...dumb question, but how do you remove the stock gauge cluster? do you have to drop the steering column?
                            4 in. Skyjacker

Comment

• Kansas_Nova
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 02, 2011

Pulled the motor out just the other day for cleaning, paint, all new gaskets and emission delete.
                              4 in. Skyjacker

Comment

Working...
                              X