• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • viscacha
    350 Buick
    • Dec 11, 2002

New Brakes for Ouray

After almost a year I am replacing the rear brakes on my truck that were failing me in Ouray last year. I just got the drums turned and the shoes, bearings, and seals will be in this week. Along with those I have a new dual diaphragm booster and master cylinder on order. Everything looks better than I expected it would. Look out Ouray here I come.

This pic shows what happened to my rear brakes before I actually arrived in Ouray last year. Several days earlier I wheeled up to the Latir Lakes in northern New Mexico for a day of fly fishing at the top of a mountain only accessible by a primitive trail that went straight up for four miles. The owners of the land commented that the trail has never been improved so that visitors who have the nerve to go will get a real primitive experience. Going up was awesome, but coming down was something else. Needless to say I was in 1st gear low range with the brakes floored for so long that I super heated them big time. I never ?ride? the brakes, but this was different. The owners of the land have you sign a form and pay ten bucks to go up there and defy death coming down.

Once in Ouray things got even worse. At the top of Imogene Pass my brake booster popped the inner diaphragm and began hissing loudly under the dash. I guess the pressure differential from the altitude got to be too much and it just blew. When we finally arrive in Telluride the brake pedal was to the floor and I didn?t think I would be able to stop. As it turned out I was okay for the rest of the trip by repeatedly backing up the road at the KOA and self adjusting the rear brakes to max. The one diaphragm I had left on the booster gave me some power assist to go along with a full pedal.

I recommend checking your brakes if your going to Ouray this year. Looking in the inspection hole showed good brake pads, but I knew they couldn?t be that good after what I had done to them.

[ May 25, 2004, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: AZ J20 ]
    steve

?86 J20
    SOA, Dana 60's, F/R Lockers
    Full High Steer, Ram Assist
    Bunch of Other Stuff
  • Don S
    • Feb 06, 2002

Steve;

... Well I was right behind you over Imogene and Last Dollar Road and didn't notice any of the problems. I do remember you checking under the J at the top of Imogene Pass. It was fun sliding around on Last Dollar Road.

... I see the spring pack in the PIC, now I understand how you can carry even the kitchen-sink!

Have a good one and CUL Don S..
    Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
    It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
    ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• fulsizjeep
      Señor Jackhead
      • Aug 21, 2002

Wow, Steve... I would call that just a lil hairy! [img]redface.gif[/img] Yeah, coming down some of the trails in Ouray & Silverton area can be testy for the brake systems. I know that coming down Corkscrew to Hwy 550 is a challenge with 2.73 gears and 32s. Last time I ran it with new 3.73 gears and it was much different.
      Flint
      Ran when parked.
      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Working...
      X