International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

View Poll Results: Which manufacturers Diesel should I go with?? See the thread below before answering
Ford Diesel Engine 4 3.54%
GM Diesel Engine 10 8.85%
Dodge/Cummins Diesel 85 75.22%
Other/Foreign 14 12.39%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 AM
350 Buick

Going Diesel Need Opinions

Greetings everyone I have decided to go diesel in my rig. (not the existing rig but I will purchase a new rig and have been looking.) Anyway, I have a 4l80E transmission sitting in storage ready to back the diesel. I am not really well versed on diesels and wanted to know out of the diesels out there what ones are known to be most reliable/best that everyone thinks would be great to swap in that has all the things one would want in a diesel, (Reliability, parts availability, power, torque, fuel mileage, etc etc.) Please everyone chime in if you have any info/data. Please keep the following in mind though. (Let me know what the best diesel, the diesel of all diesels is!!)

1. It has to be something that I can get my hands on and connect to a 4l80e trans. (I already found a company that makes adapters to connect the dodge diesel to a 4l80e and I think there is one out there for ford diesels) if you pick other please list the engine, (Note if I cannot find an adapter or Trick err.... I mean get an engineer either on the board or nearby to fabricate and adapter for me then other is a no go)

2. Something realistic. I know everyone wants to take an engine from a mack truck or peterbilt or an engine that was designed in a lab like frankenstein and only five of them exist in the world, or some other thing and those are great dreams but I want something that can realistically fit in the engine bay (and fit well) not an engine where I have to do so much trickery and such to get it in that I only have .00000125 of an inch of space on each side of it and I have to lube the hood every time I open it to get it to close around the engine. I also want one that is available that I can get my hands on pretty easily (Easy for a diesel that is)

3. Needs to be able to operate independently of the trans. (Some engines and computers wont function if the full system engine and trans are not together. I dont know about diesels but if the engine cannot do that then leave it out.

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel

Last edited by Wagoneerlover : 07-31-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:43 AM
Master Mechanic

I'm not gonna vote because I don't have personal experience but I have heard nothing but positive stuff about the cummins 4bt and it seems widely recommended and widely used

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/search...earchid=225599

I'm gonna follow you on this because, at first I was looking to do an OD swap but I'd rather just completely change out the 360 for a diesel.
Keep us updated!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:07 AM
350 Buick

Yeah there are some guys out here that I know with diesel pickups and all of them swear by the dodges with the Dodge duramax diesel (cummins). I definitely wanted to get the opinion of board members though before moving. (I wonder if the 4bt would be a good mate with the 4l80e???)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel
Old 07-31-2009, 01:09 AM
Grease Monkey

I'd go with a 6bt. Nothing like replacing a 5.9 with a 5.9
Non-FSJ:
1980 Ford F100: 302 2V/C4, 9", 2.75, 180K
1992 Ford F150: 302 EFI/M5OD, 8.8, 3.55, 300K
1995 Chevrolet C2500: 350 TBI/4L60E, 14 Bolt, 3.42, 315K
Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandwag89
I'd go with a 6bt. Nothing like replacing a 5.9 with a 5.9

Ya the 6bt is reportedly great too, but when I do my swap I'd prob go 4bt for the mpg, but if its not the DD then a 6bt would be niiiiiice
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 AM
ob1jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoneerlover
Yeah there are some guys out here that I know with diesel pickups and all of them swear by the dodges with the Dodge duramax diesel (cummins). I definitely wanted to get the opinion of board members though before moving. (I wonder if the 4bt would be a good mate with the 4l80e???)
FWIW: The Duramax, is the label that Government Motors uses for the Aluminum V8 Diesel in thier PU's, which is sourced from Isuzu...

The Diesel used in Dodge PU's is sourced from Cummins, which happens to be the 6 cyl version of the bt family of Cummins diesel motors. The 4bt can be found in a number of delivery trucks, mated to a TH400...

HTH...
Old 07-31-2009, 08:33 AM
Big Meanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoneerlover
Yeah there are some guys out here that I know with diesel pickups and all of them swear by the Dodges with the Cummins. I definitely wanted to get the opinion of board members though before moving. (I wonder if the 4bt would be a good mate with the 4l80e???)

Fixed it for ya, as we Cummins fans don't like the GM Duramax confused with a real engine.

Cummins is the way to go if you want the best. The 5.9 wasn't designed by a car manufacturer to fit inside a pickup. It was built to run large farm tractors and generators and run them all day everyday for years. They are medium-heavy duty engines, the rest are light to medium duty. That is also the reason why you can go to a Ford dealer and buy a new F450 and "upgrade" to a Cummins.
he's such big meanie that way...
please don't tell him i said that....
Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM
out of order

Go with a Cummins 6bt, or GM 6.5.

I searched for over a year for a 4bt, they are uber-expensive in SoCal, and pretty hard to find.
Was looking @ a 6bt set-up, when a smokin' deal fell in my lap.

Picked up a complete 6.5/4L80E/NV242 for a song.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:23 AM
FSJ Maniac

Of course I vote for the 4BT, mostly because I have one that I plan to install it in my J4800. As far as the tranny....the boys on the www.4btswaps.com boys will be happy to give you some information. But FYI, read the FAQ pages first before asking questions.

Here's the LINKY of my build. I was going to use a 46RH, Dodge O/D auto Tranny, but I changed to a NV4500 for more reliability when I'm breaking trail with the plow.

Last edited by COLOFIREMAN : 07-31-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:31 AM
Gear Head

your mpg won't suck too bad with a 6bt... we have one in a corvette at work that we run on straight veggie oil! check out greasecar.com
you can pretty much make everything you need, except the computer controller they have, which you don't really need.
i vote 6bt!! i'm not a huge fan of the chevys or fords, because i've driven vehicles with all three, and i like the torque and whatnot of the straight six. there is a lot you can do with the older style 12 valve motors....
Old 07-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Grease Monkey

I guess I'll be the first one to vote for "Other/Foreign."

I'm not much for hardware made outside of the United States, but I've been smitten by the Isuzu 4BD-series engines. It's powerful, quiet, and doesn't shake your brain apart like a Cummins. They can be a little tricky to bolt up to a transmission, but if you find the correct adapter, it's pretty easy. One company makes an Isuzu-to-Chevy adapter, and there are a few industrial Isuzu-to-SAE adapters floating around.

The 4BD1T engines did not have a computer. Late-model 4BD2T engines used a very simple controller to operate the glow plugs and the transmission, but you can ditch that entirely. They always had mechanical injection pumps.

Check out the link in my signature -- I'm swapping a 4BD2T into my '95 YJ and doing a lot of suspension work in the process. It's far from complete, but I'm getting there. The engine is bolted to an SM465/NP205 combo using an industrial Isuzu-to-Chevy cast adapter. I also machined my own adapter, but came across the casting and couldn't pass it up.

These engines were used in Izuzu NPR and certain GM box trucks. I bought my '94 GMC W4 tilt-cab truck for $2000 on Craigslist, drove it five hours home, and pulled the motor for my swap. They're relatively inexpensive if you can buy the whole truck.

Take a look at the Isuzu 4BD1T/2T section over at 4btswaps.com. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on there, including a few people running compound turbos and really pushing these little four-cylinders to the limit. They're every bit as strong and reliable as a Cummins, in my opinion.

JeepinPete had a 4BD1T in his Cherokee, but I believe he abandoned the project. Maybe he'll chime in.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:56 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

4bt or 6bt Cummins Turbo inline motor powerfull most reliable engines out there Powerchoke would be a nightmare to swap in there most 4BT come with a chevy bolt pattern for your trans
80's J10 258/T-5/208
89' Jeep GrandWagoneer
New Project
74' J10 Go Grabber Green Running
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
Inferior Chevy

Last edited by mattmopar440 : 07-31-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Cummins all the way!. no Powerjoke or Duracrap
oh i do like the 6.5 H1

Government Motors LMAO
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=133468
MoPaR

Last edited by Eugene 1 : 08-01-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:16 PM

A dsl thread is almost as bad as an oil thread. Lotsa opinions. Lotsa variables likeinitial cost, ease of install, mods needed, scarcity.
I'm a big fan of either Cumins motors (I prefer inline dsl's) and the 6.2 GM. The later is prolly the cheaper route but Isuzu does build good dsl motors too and they designed the original GM Duramax v-motor. I also like most of the MB dsl's but I think the only ones in the US that have enough power for a FSJ would be one from a Sprinter van but think $$$$$$$$.
What's your priority? Cost, easy install? Anyway way you go is expensive and none of them are drop-ins.
I would't base my motor choice on a trans I have laying around and want to use. Buy a complete donor truck.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Perpetually Perplexed

Not to hijack the thread, but what is a good diesel for a 2wd application where mpg and QUIET are the priorities?

The "ChopTop" Project Thread: click
Old 07-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Big Meanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krek
Not to hijack the thread, but what is a good diesel for a 2wd application where mpg and QUIET are the priorities?

Probably a Mercedes or Isuzu
he's such big meanie that way...
please don't tell him i said that....
Old 07-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted
Probably a Mercedes or Isuzu
x2.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc86
I guess I'll be the first one to vote for "Other/Foreign."

I'm not much for hardware made outside of the United States, but I've been smitten by the Isuzu 4BD-series engines. It's powerful, quiet, and doesn't shake your brain apart like a Cummins. They can be a little tricky to bolt up to a transmission, but if you find the correct adapter, it's pretty easy. One company makes an Isuzu-to-Chevy adapter, and there are a few industrial Isuzu-to-SAE adapters floating around.

The 4BD1T engines did not have a computer. Late-model 4BD2T engines used a very simple controller to operate the glow plugs and the transmission, but you can ditch that entirely. They always had mechanical injection pumps.

Check out the link in my signature -- I'm swapping a 4BD2T into my '95 YJ and doing a lot of suspension work in the process. It's far from complete, but I'm getting there. The engine is bolted to an SM465/NP205 combo using an industrial Isuzu-to-Chevy cast adapter. I also machined my own adapter, but came across the casting and couldn't pass it up.

These engines were used in Izuzu NPR and certain GM box trucks. I bought my '94 GMC W4 tilt-cab truck for $2000 on Craigslist, drove it five hours home, and pulled the motor for my swap. They're relatively inexpensive if you can buy the whole truck.

Take a look at the Isuzu 4BD1T/2T section over at 4btswaps.com. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on there, including a few people running compound turbos and really pushing these little four-cylinders to the limit. They're every bit as strong and reliable as a Cummins, in my opinion.

JeepinPete had a 4BD1T in his Cherokee, but I believe he abandoned the project. Maybe he'll chime in.
am still waiting on you to finish your build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.

How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
Robert A. Heinlein
The birth of CROM is recorded here
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778
Old 07-31-2009, 08:08 PM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun
am still waiting on you to finish your build

Yeah, I guess I've been slacking a bit. Gotta prep a classic car for a big show next month, but after that it should be smooth sailing.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Grease Monkey

Isn't the 4L80E a GM transmission that requires a tcm? And the 4L80E mates to the GM 6.5 liter perfectly, no adapter. So wouldn't the 6.5 non turbo be the best option for less headaches?