• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajminla
    232 I6
    • Jun 07, 2010

'89 GW Overflow Coolant tank Problem

This weekend my engine heated up beyond it's normal range. I figured I had a leak. Sure enough very small leak at the petcock radiator bottom. Topped up the coolant. Have to try and get new gasket but tightening helped. I also discovered that the hose to the cooler overflow tank was not connected so connected the hose.
    Next day was better but still hotter than normal. I noticed that the coolant overflow tank spigot was cracked and wet but hose was properly placed.
    Wondering if there is a kind of vacuum that is formed by radiator pulling coolant that is "broken" by the crack so not enough extra coolant gets pulled.

Should I be replacing the coolant tank?
    Are there aftermarket replacements?

Any thoughts ?

adam
    '89 Grand Wagoneer
    Black with Sand Interior
  • Don S
    • Feb 06, 2002

I have successfully glued the unglue-able type plastic tanks such as the windshield washer tank on my '76 Waggie. and cracked 12 volt car batteries. It is simple. Vee grove the crack by scraping with a sharp, short blade and roughly sand the area around the crack. This step gives the JB Weld more area to lock on to.
    Then with the cracked area facing upward apply a coating of slow curing JB Weld over the area. It often helps to wet-out a piece of fiberglass or nylon cloth with the JB Weld and then lay it on the cracked area. This will reinforce the repair and help keep the JB Weld in the area of repair.

The hose needs to go to the bottom of the tank with zero air leaks in the hose and the tank needs to be vented.

Good Luck.. Don S..
    Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
    It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
    ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• 661warwagon
      232 I6
      • Apr 21, 2016

I have a good one off an 89 gw if interested

Comment

• letank
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by ajminla
        This weekend my engine heated up beyond it's normal range.

You had quite a hot weekend in LA, so it is normal for the engine temp to be higher.

Originally posted by ajminla
        Should I be replacing the coolant tank?
        Are there aftermarket replacements?
        adam

Make sure that the coolant is staying in the recovery tank and as said above that the hose is at the near bottom of the recovery tank.

As a double check, when the engine is cold, or 60min after shut off to release pressure, use a rag and remove the radiator cap slowly, make sure that the coolant is at the top and has a nice color, no rusty brown.

Also when the coolant is cold, you can check that it is at the proper concentration using a coolant tester
        50% in the winter, or 30% in the summer is still good, water cools better than coolant. If the coolant has not been changed in while, it is a good time for a coolant change.
        Michel
        74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
        85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Gary Gable
          232 I6
          • Nov 02, 2009

Bj's sells an aluminum overflow tank

I bought one, but haven't installed it yet. Quality looks really good with exception of the threaded neck/cap assembly. Threads were pretty rough. I should be able to lap them in a bit with valve lapping compound though. It was probably just a qc issue that slipped past. Should be fine once installed.
          '76 J-20. 360/T18/D20. Ambulance body. TPI ignition. SOA plus 2" lift springs.

Comment

• ajminla
            232 I6
            • Jun 07, 2010

YES was really hot last weekend which is why I didn't panic, but I turned off my air and still was running really hot.

I topped up the coolant in the radiator. Was nice and green not brown.
            I also filled up the coolant tank and made sure the hose was down.
            Gauge still showing running hotter than usual though not as extreme as on the weekend.

I am away this week so when I return home I will check the concentration.

adam

You had quite a hot weekend in LA, so it is normal for the engine temp to be higher.

Make sure that the coolant is staying in the recovery tank and as said above that the hose is at the near bottom of the recovery tank.

As a double check, when the engine is cold, or 60min after shut off to release pressure, use a rag and remove the radiator cap slowly, make sure that the coolant is at the top and has a nice color, no rusty brown.

Also when the coolant is cold, you can check that it is at the proper concentration using a coolant tester
            50% in the winter, or 30% in the summer is still good, water cools better than coolant. If the coolant has not been changed in while, it is a good time for a coolant change.[/QUOTE]
            '89 Grand Wagoneer
            Black with Sand Interior

Comment

Working...
            X