• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpcoutts
    304 AMC
    • Jun 28, 2002

Power steering issue on the J20

The power steering on the J20 jerks and the pump freezes momentarily when I turn to the left and when I get to the limit turning to the right. The reservoir is full and no leaks. I started to replace the pump but after reading about the poor quality of units available I decided to try to figure out if I can resolve the issue without going that route. Any suggestions?
    Jim C
    '67 J3000 Dually
    '86 J20
    '79 CJ5(in pieces)
    '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
    Correction- it just needed a water pump!
  • Mikel
    • Aug 09, 2000

Belt slipping?
    1969 M715 6x6
    1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• 440sixpack
      327 Rambler
      • Jul 21, 2016

If it's not the belt the next thing I'd check are ball joints and steering stabilizer. then the pump and then the box. I had a stabilizer go bad to the point I could hardly steer. ball joints can cause excessive load as well.

When you have problems does it feel like it's because of resistance ?

If you want the best pump buy a Borgesen. I'm done with cheapo crap their pumps are awesome. for steering boxes buy a Redhead if you need one.

Comment

• jpcoutts
        304 AMC
        • Jun 28, 2002

It does slip, but not, I think until something appears to block the flow of fluid when turning to the left or at full right. Most of the time it appears to be functioning normally.
        Jim C
        '67 J3000 Dually
        '86 J20
        '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• jpcoutts
          304 AMC
          • Jun 28, 2002

Originally posted by 440sixpack
          If it's not the belt the next thing I'd check are ball joints and steering stabilizer. then the pump and then the box. I had a stabilizer go bad to the point I could hardly steer. ball joints can cause excessive load as well.

When you have problems does it feel like it's because of resistance ?

If you want the best pump buy a Borgesen. I'm done with cheapo crap their pumps are awesome. for steering boxes buy a Redhead if you need one.
          I think it is in the box or pump, most likely the box since the pumps works almost normally turning to the right. It does feel like there is a lot of resistance when the belt squeals and the steering wheel is quite hard to turn when it squeals,
          Jim C
          '67 J3000 Dually
          '86 J20
          '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• 440sixpack
            327 Rambler
            • Jul 21, 2016

I'd still check the stabilizer and ball joints before I started replacing things. but you're probably right it's the pump or box.

I've never seen a box cause what you're saying, but it's entirely possible.

Comment

Working...
            X