• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolling$Pit
    232 I6
    • Jul 02, 2001

Finally got TBIGuy's TBI!

Actually, I got it several weeks ago. Unfortunately, it arrived the same time as some family problems. But now I'm getting around to installing it. I can't wait to see how much it helps. I have one question about fuel hoses maybe someone can answer. I'm running a new line, and according to JCWhitless, it's about $36 for ten feet of hose for fuel injection. Does this sound right?
    There goes baby\'s college fund
  • JeepReeves79
    232 I6
    • Mar 19, 2002

sounds kind of high to me, over $3.00 a foot. I sure would like to here the results of the installation I am considering going the same route but am afraid of hidden costs and lack of installation and tuning help. keep me posted
    If I\'m not Jeepin\' I\'m sleepin\'

Comment

• Rolling$Pit
      232 I6
      • Jul 02, 2001

I actually tried to get my mechanic to install it, but it was not something he wanted to try. I just didn't have the time. It doesn't look to hard. I plan on doing a little each night. TBIGuy has been great in answering any questions.

Comment

• Rogue
        360 AMC
        • Nov 17, 2001

Yea that price is about right, you should be able to get it at NAPA or Carquest, or any other professional's parts stores
        Jeff - 74 Cherokee S 401/400/QT - basically stock

Comment

• Marvin Gates
          304 AMC
          • Oct 22, 2001

What ever you do, don't go cheap on fuel line for fuel injection! The gas is under 30 lbs pressure and makes a great fire if the fuel line fails.
          Good luck, and make sure to let us know how it works. MG
          Regards Marv
          #1881 just for the record.
          FSJeepless for a short time.
          Need a J10 tho.

Comment

• sandmanb
            304 AMC
            • Nov 03, 2001

can somebody explain tpi guys setup for me and how much does it run?
            89 grand wagoneer stock daily driver. 78 cherokee chief w/t 401 trail jeep project. 87 grand wagoneer, for sale

Comment

• TexasJ10
              360 AMC
              • Jan 03, 2002

I suspect TPIguy will get on here and explain in detail but I can give you an overview. He has become an absolute expert at taking GM throttle body fuel injection systems and adapting them to the AMC 360. He provides a manifold adapter, a GM throttle body originally used on a 350, a wiring harness, all sensors, a fuel pump, and most importantly a ECM and a custom EPROM chip that is "tuned" to our AMC 360 engines. He has a super web site at the following site:

I can also send you a copy of his installation instructions in Word format if you are interested. I think the cost is over $800, which compares pretty favorably to the Holly systems and he will help you customize the EPROM for your application. Since these are mostly GM parts they are pretty available if anything needs replacement.
              * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
              * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
              . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
              * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• RustyJeep
                304 AMC
                • Apr 09, 2000

And they got the neato "check engine" light.
                -Rustyjeep-
                aka Ben Mitchell
                '73 J4000 3/4 ton -nothing stock-

Comment

• sandmanb
                  304 AMC
                  • Nov 03, 2001

who has one of these systems and whats there opinion? it looks like a great setup but i want prof that its a good dependable system. how many of us are runing these systems?
                  89 grand wagoneer stock daily driver. 78 cherokee chief w/t 401 trail jeep project. 87 grand wagoneer, for sale

Comment

• Frank in Norway
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jun 28, 2000

It's the same system that all GM TBI cars/trucks have run for years with a new EPROM and an carb adapter, so it should be just as dependable as GM's own setup. This is if the installation is done right. That's what Howell is using also, but Holley uses another computer unit.
                    Frank in Norway
                    http://www.fullsizejeep.com
                    [email protected]
                    '77 Wagoneer (360/TH400/QT, D60's, ARB's, 39,5's, Coil-spring)

Comment

• Rolling$Pit
                      232 I6
                      • Jul 02, 2001

Well, another delay. My 15 month old daughter has had a virus for about 4 day. Too busy cleaning up to work on the Jeep, and my weekend is all booked up. AAHHHHHHH!!!!! I need a vacation. Good thing I didn't sell the "spare" car.

Comment

• Dive 30
                        350 Buick
                        • Aug 31, 2001

Check out TPIguy's website. It is chocked full of information. His system is superior to the Holley system in the bang for your buck category. The GM ECM and TBI system offers a more complete control package than Holley. Meaning it comes with the 02 sensor and closed loop operation, which is an extra on the Holley. and it comes with spark control, which is not available on the Holley at all. The only downside is that he is not big enough company wise to have paid for the CARB certification for emissions, so if you have to pass a visual smog, the TPIguy setup will not fit the bill. The Holley has a CARB #. The other thing that I learned the other day is that the GM ECM actually runs more tables (thus is more precise and dynamic) than an Accel DFI computer. Craziness.

Phil
                        "Hooper Drives the Boat, Chief!" from 'Jaws'
                        '85 G-Wag, AMC 360 - Edelbrock Performer Cam and Intake, Megasquirt TBI, TF 727 with TCI Kit, NP-208, 4" Skyjacker Softride, Detroit EZ Locker front and rear.

Comment

• RWC
                          258 I6
                          • Nov 18, 2001

Actually, the Holley system CAN control spark, but you have to get the more advanced system. Before I knew about FSJs and TPIGuy, I was split between Howell and Holley for my CJ-7. I went with the Holley 4Di, largely because of its inherent adaptability to different engines. If you have the ability to burn your own chips, then definately go with a full GM ECU, but I don't. I do, however, have access to a laptop, which allowed me to program my own fuel map, etc. I was also suprised to find out that the sensors are all more-or-less the same sensors as every other speed-density EFI system, and not Holley specific.

TPIGuy: I'd still love to see what spark map you use for AMC engines. It turns out that my ticking wasn't in the valve train, but was in the bottom end, and so I've essentially pulled most of my timing out when I'm at low RPM. But since I can't use a knock sensor to assist in the tuning (because the knock sensor will sense the non-timing related knock and take out ALL my timing), I'm largely guessing where I should be when I'm at speed. Help?

RWC

Comment

Working...
                          X