International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 06-18-2019, 04:06 PM

Your truck looks unmolested enough, you hold your mouth just right and wearing the right color shirt...you may get lucky but after 50 years don't bet on it.
Dana axles came with two alum tags mounted between two cover bolts. One tag will be the ratio tag and have a block of 4 numbers stamped into it. The first two will be the ring gear tooth count the other two will be the pinion tooth count.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:06 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthebeatenpath
Just ran across a local (10 min. away) ad for a pair of J-truck D44 axles with 4.27 gears..... asking $100.

What do I need to look at in order to evaluate these as candidates for an axle swap into my '65?
I'm hoping they're open knuckle, but the ad photos only show the rear.
What year did the axle configuration change?

I'm currently running a T98 4 speed with I assume a Dana 20 transfer case. So, that's a passenger side front diff, and centered rear I think.

Are you planning on really tall tires or an overdrive with those 4.27 gears. Or both. That's a lot of rpm. Will definitely give it some pulling power.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:15 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Your truck looks unmolested enough, you hold your mouth just right and wearing the right color shirt...you may get lucky but after 50 years don't bet on it.
Dana axles came with two alum tags mounted between two cover bolts. One tag will be the ratio tag and have a block of 4 numbers stamped into it. The first two will be the ring gear tooth count the other two will be the pinion tooth count.

Well, looks like I picked the right shirt off the rack last night when I set out my clothes for today!!!
Under about 1/4" of grime, here's what I found- no axle swap needed for me. Though it does also explain why the engine revs as high as it does at 50 mph....

I might have to go backwards in gearing, or make some bigger shoes fit. Right now it's rolling on 265/75/16's. I'd love to get some 33x10's or 9's underneath it, but I think I'll need some suspension work to pull that off.
The first goal is to get it running and driving, suspension and tires can wait. Well, I probably oughtta put a shock on the passenger side rear where that empty space is

Old 06-18-2019, 06:38 PM
232 I6

Nice. Just think of the money and time you just saved.

I'll bet it does rev at 50. Keep the gearing and go overdrive.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:53 PM
232 I6

What overdrive units are compatible with these old rigs?

Maybe I’ll just roll with 34’s or 35’s instead...
Old 06-19-2019, 03:45 PM
232 I6

Floor pans??

Getting ready to order some sheetmetal for the floor pans, and I've got a couple questions.
1 - So far, I've found BJ's, ZM Jeeps, and Classic 2 Current that sell pieces. Or, I could go pick up a sheet and muddle my way through myself. I can weld(ish), but I don't have a brake. Any other sources I should look at?

2 - BJ's states that the dimensions of their part is 22" x 18.5". My floors are rusty enough that one piece won't cover what I need. What's the best route to get the amount I need? Order 2 driver's side fronts and 2 passenger's side fronts, or order a front and rear (from a Waggy) for each side?
Old 06-19-2019, 05:04 PM
258 I6

Nice truck! Good luck and listen to Joe. Love the helper too!
'19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21
Old 06-22-2019, 04:08 AM
232 I6

I am not to familiar with the older engines but don't think there is an overdrive or adapter to add overdrive trans to the older engines. Maybe someone else can let us both know.

Depends on what your intentions are with the future of the build. If you are set on all original, tall tires are your only option. Could go with a newer AMC engine and adapt to a 700r4 for overdrive. Me personally, newer engine/trans combo would be a no-brainer unless I had an absolute cream puff truck and was rare enough to be somewhat valuable. It really depends on what you want to do with it in the future.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:40 AM
232 I6

Well, it’s no cream puff that’s for sure. It’s a solid platform, but I’m not all in on a frame off restoration, I don’t have the time or funds for that.

It’s got a few good factory options, (factory radio, T98 4 speed, Dana 53 rear) but I don’t think it’s a rare bird. Or, if it is rare, it’s still not very desirable.

I’d mostly just like it to be drivable, with a little more aggressive stance.
I really don’t think (in my case) it’s worth the time to swap engine, drive train, axles and suspension just to keep the rhino grille. I’d be better off buying a ‘76+ as a platform.

On the other hand, with the 6-230, closed knuckle front axle, and no power steering, it’ll never be a nimble off-road machine either. The 4.27’s will help, but only so much. It’s got 16” wheels, but I don’t know if they’re factory or not, nothing else has been messed with at all.

If I can drive it to work, take it up into the mountains on some logging and forest service roads to go fishing and collect firewood, I’ll be stoked.

The stock leaf springs seem to be in decent shape, so I may just go with 1-2” lift blocks and some 33 or 34” mud terrain pizza cutters and call it good. Those Buckshot Mudders look about perfect for my goals.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:59 AM
232 I6

It has a 1 barrel intake with the Holley 1920 carb. I ordered a rebuild kit for it from http://www.carburetor-parts.com a super helpful website with a ton of YouTube videos too.

The truck was having a lot of trouble idling at all, which is why I ordered the kit. After I ordered the kit, I watched one of his videos where he mentions as a side note that a lot of electric in line fuel pumps have too much pressure for carbs like this and cause them to run rough. I think that’s a part of my problem, so I’ll have to add a fuel pressure regulator in somewhere.

It also has the old school oil bath air filter on it, which I’ll either swap out or alter to accept a round paper filter.

Overall, the carb is in decent shape, but I may still have some issues. The brass throttle plate shaft is worn pretty good and has a lot of slop in the bushings. I may try to re-bush it to save some coin for now.

I’ve been looking at my options for carbs and intakes (apparently there’s a 2bbl intake for the 230 out there too), and ran across this. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...22 3468125607
Old 06-25-2019, 08:03 AM
232 I6

Dropped the oil pan tonight, found good news and bad news.

See the brazing on the left and right sides of the top end of the pan? Looks like somebody threw the #6 cylinder rod at some point. The oil pan is dented from the inside out right under the #6 cylinder. That’s the bad news.

The good news is that the oil in the pan was clean. No water, nothing metallic at all

This does confirm my need to do a compression test, which I’ve never done before, but I’m sure I can figure it out. Planning on renting the tools for it from Autozone.

Here’s a couple shots of the cylinder head, things look fairly clean to me, nothing super grody looking. The truck didn’t come with a title, so I don’t have a previous mileage on it except the odometer which reads 15k and change. I assume that’s more like 115k, but who knows!

Old 06-27-2019, 10:45 PM
327 Rambler

Hey man! I'm stoked to have another Tornado guy on the forum! We spoke briefly via the ole Facebook, but wanted to drop something here.

Overdrives. Get ahold of Herm of hermtheoverdriveguy.com, let him know your setup and he''ll tell you what'll fit. There was a Borg Warner overdrive that would work on these rigs, provided you only used it in 2WD. They're pretty hard to find, but it's on my short list of future plans. I'm planning on using the switch and circuit for the 4wd light as a relay based lockout for the overdrive solenoid.

As far as the 2 barrel carb, I was lucky and found the intake manifold on eBay for $100. It came with 3 carbs that were all in really bad shape. I cobbled one working carb together out of the three. It runs great, but it's still pretty slow, lol... If I ever run across one I'll light up the bat signal!

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...
Old 07-23-2019, 08:28 PM
232 I6

Unhappy Not firing?!?!?!?!

I know I've skipped a couple posts here, but summer play time is limited here in Montana and we've been making the most of what we've got.

I have the engine re-assembled and plumbed, but I cannot get this thing to start for the life of me.

First off, I assumed incorrectly that the distributor rotor rotation was clockwise, which it's not. I sorted that out.

I have fuel. The carb may not be super tuned, but I need to get it running to sort the rest out.
I have spark, but it's probably a bit weak. Getting new plugs tomorrow. The points are new, but I didn't set them up, so I'm not sure how dialed they are.
I have air.
That leaves timing. I assume the number 1 cylinder is out front, but now I'm second guessing everything. I have the timing set to where the rotor is pointed right at the cap when the timing mark is roughly 5 degrees BTDC.

What do I do next?
It'll crank and turn, and turn, but all I ever get is a rare pffft and an occasional backfire.

I'm trying to not get frustrated, but I feel over my head right now.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:23 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
I know I've skipped a couple posts here, but summer play time is limited here in Montana and we've been making the most of what we've got.

I have the engine re-assembled and plumbed, but I cannot get this thing to start for the life of me.

First off, I assumed incorrectly that the distributor rotor rotation was clockwise, which it's not. I sorted that out.

I have fuel. The carb may not be super tuned, but I need to get it running to sort the rest out.
I have spark, but it's probably a bit weak. Getting new plugs tomorrow. The points are new, but I didn't set them up, so I'm not sure how dialed they are.
I have air.
That leaves timing. I assume the number 1 cylinder is out front, but now I'm second guessing everything. I have the timing set to where the rotor is pointed right at the cap when the timing mark is roughly 5 degrees BTDC.

What do I do next?
It'll crank and turn, and turn, but all I ever get is a rare pffft and an occasional backfire.

I'm trying to not get frustrated, but I feel over my head right now.

This sounds dumb, but I'd quadruple check the order of the spark plug wires. Ask me how I know, lol... Also, how is your distributor cap? Mine originally had a button that was not making good contact with the rotor and when I changed that out, it started right up. You're definitely headed in the right direction.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:40 AM
232 I6

Greg, are you running an updated/upgraded ignition system like the Pertronix, or are you still running the original points & condenser?

I'm thinking my spark might be weak, I'm going to pick up new plugs today and a spark tester to evaluate that.

Looks like my ignition coil is seeping some oil around the top, so I'll probably swap that out too.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:56 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Greg, are you running an updated/upgraded ignition system like the Pertronix, or are you still running the original points & condenser?

I'm thinking my spark might be weak, I'm going to pick up new plugs today and a spark tester to evaluate that.

Looks like my ignition coil is seeping some oil around the top, so I'll probably swap that out too.

I am, in fact, running a pertronix unit. Pretty easy install and seems to do really well. With the spark plugs, if I'm remembering correctly, the ignition system requires copper-core plugs, no resistor. I believe running the wrong plugs will pretty much kill the coil.

I think I'd try and clean/adjust the points and eliminate that as a source of your issue before moving to something like the pertronix, but once you get it running, anything to can do to lower maintenance, hell yeah.

This just occurred to me, did you check to make sure you don't have the spa k plug wires off by 180 degrees? The #1 cyl on my distributor cap corresponds to about 1-2 o'clock, if you had it at 7-8 o'clock, the crankshaft would be at 5 degrees btdc of the intake stoke, which could potentially backfire through the carb...

There's so little to these engines, it's gotta be something simple that you'll face palm yourself when you figure it out...

Old 07-24-2019, 11:37 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63J200atLSU
I am, in fact, running a pertronix unit. Pretty easy install and seems to do really well. With the spark plugs, if I'm remembering correctly, the ignition system requires copper-core plugs, no resistor. I believe running the wrong plugs will pretty much kill the coil.

I think I'd try and clean/adjust the points and eliminate that as a source of your issue before moving to something like the pertronix, but once you get it running, anything to can do to lower maintenance, hell yeah.

This just occurred to me, did you check to make sure you don't have the spa k plug wires off by 180 degrees? The #1 cyl on my distributor cap corresponds to about 1-2 o'clock, if you had it at 7-8 o'clock, the crankshaft would be at 5 degrees btdc of the intake stoke, which could potentially backfire through the carb...

There's so little to these engines, it's gotta be something simple that you'll face palm yourself when you figure it out...

Hang on a minute.... how do I not know this?!?!?! I thought I knew how engines worked.... apparently not...

So even if I know I'm at the top of the stroke (piston fully compressed), it might be at the exhaust stroke versus the intake stroke? Now that I'm reading this, it's clear that I assume the spark fires every single time the piston comes to TDC. Is that incorrect?

Looking at my distributor, I have my #1 cylinder at roughtly 7 o'clock, so that might be an issue.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:43 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Hang on a minute.... how do I not know this?!?!?! I thought I knew how engines worked.... apparently not...

So even if I know I'm at the top of the stroke (piston fully compressed), it might be at the exhaust stroke versus the intake stroke? Now that I'm reading this, it's clear that I assume the spark fires every single time the piston comes to TDC. Is that incorrect?

Looking at my distributor, I have my #1 cylinder at roughtly 7 o'clock, so that might be an issue.

Bingo. A 4-stroke engine completes one cycle (one cycle consisting of all 4 strokes) every 2 revolutions or 720 degrees of revolution of the crankshaft. If you have your number 1 cylinder at the 7 o'clock, then this is exactly what's happening. No harm no foul. Get video of your first startup! It's gonna happen soon!

Old 07-24-2019, 11:52 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63J200atLSU

Insert face palm here: __________!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:57 AM
327 Rambler

Haha, if you only knew the hair brained things that have happened over the last 4 years of my truck work...