• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jtruax3
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 01, 2014

Pumping gas problem

I'm trying figure out if something is blocking the vent that's connected to the gas neck or if it's normal but when I pump gas in my 77' Wagoneer it constantly trips and I have to slowly pump gas. Is this normal or has anyone else experienced this? My gas gauge also isn't working..not sure if it's related or not. Thanks!
  • OutrageGIS
    258 I6
    • Feb 26, 2011

Business as usual, unless you run a new vent they are slow to fill. Try inverting the pump handle in the fill neck.
    79 Cherokee, 360, QT, Stocky

At Large Board Member, Central South-East Jurisdiction, Elijah Craig Chapter, Bluegrass Division, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Fairly normal depending on where you live. The path to the tank isn't a straight enough run. Worked acceptable back in the day but todays gas pumps pump at a faster rate than they did in 70's. If your stations have those goofy Calif accordion rubber boots on the nozzle it makes it near impossible on some wags. Some folks get away with rotating the nozzle 90* or even 180*
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

More than just the flow rate. The modern fuel has a much lower boiling point and it foams up too easily.
        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
          Banned
          • Mar 01, 2009

What he said ^

And my Cherokee takes me about 15 seconds per gallon to fill. Is that normal?

Comment

• Jtruax3
            230 Tornado
            • Aug 01, 2014

Okay thanks a lot guys!

Comment

• HerrKooled
              258 I6
              • Aug 18, 2010

Good thing i pump diesel in a bigger nozzle... Haha! I had the same problem with gas setup, and it was quite annoying.
              '77 J truck.

Comment

On my vehicles with the larger fill opening I kept a piece of heater hose to slip over the nozzle to keep it from kicking off every 5 seconds.
                Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• jdempsey
                  232 I6
                  • Mar 05, 2014

I've noticed that if you put the nozzle into the hole, and then lever(hold) up the pump handle as far vertical as you can, this really helps, also, don't put the nozzle into the fill hole as far as it'll go, just enough not to make a mess.

Comment

• Montana Mike
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 08, 2012

Yep it's a pain when it's 0 degrees out and the wind blowing 20 mph!
                    Literally a pain
                    Last edited by Montana Mike; 01-30-2015, 07:48 PM.
                    "Buster" 72 Wag 360, Dana 20, TH400, BJ'S 4 INCH LIFT, 31X10.50R15
                    "Beula" 77 Wag 360, QTrac, TH400 all stock future doner to Buster
                    Montana Mike

Comment

• lkmarsh
                      350 Buick
                      • Nov 21, 2008

I look for gas stations with some slope, parking downhill helps.
                      Still have to turn the nozzle. Gives people more time to
                      eyeball your jeep and get jealous. For me, "It's Paid For"
                      covers a lot of irritations like this.
                      Lyle

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
                      69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
                      68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
                      68 Impala wagon 327/400
                      73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
                      04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
                      73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

Originally posted by Montana Mike
                        Yep it's a pain when it's 0 degrees out and the wind blowing 20 mph!
                        Literally a pain
                        Try freezing rain at the same time. My truck started sliding sideways from the "breeze" at one point while I was filling up.

Comment

Working...
                        X