• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crankyolman
    350 Buick
    • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by FSJunkie
    Do not break a lock cylinder on a pre-1976 FSJ. They use a different (larger) type of key than the post-1976 FSJs. The later locks will fit, but their key won't match your original key. The diver's door lock cylinder on my 1972 broke and I was unable to find a replacement, so I had to replace both front door lock cylinders with later ones that use a different key. Now my front doors are a different key than my tailgate and ignition.

So if anybody has one or two spare pre-1976 front door lock cylinders, I'd like to buy them.
    My locksmith said the door key was the same as an old Kennworth...or was it Mack(?) truck. I wonder if the lock cylinder for one matches as well.
    '72 J4500

Comment

• Stumplake
      230 Tornado
      • Nov 13, 2012

parts

I've had my 65 J-3600 now for about a year.Brought it up from the States.Currently it sits in my garage just about ready to be insured.Had quite a few issues - rebuilt the steering column- new inner tube assembly (lucked out on Ebay). Installed power steering -went with a Saginaw/Eaton combo from a 66 Wag.Works great.Tie rods were all replaced-Rock Auto. Went thru the motor (AMC 327)- found a water pump in Texas.A liitle hard to source.
      Recored the rad-easy ,all new hoses,belts etc. installed a set of STA Super Tractions and 1 piece turbine hubcaps-looks cool. Interior is next. It's all there just redo.I'm gonna try door mounted seals from Walcks-they list them for the older trucks and FC's. They have the same profile-kind of a V groove,I've heard more bad experiences with the OEM type cab mount type. See what happens!!
      I have to do a window regulator.Easy I managed to get a good one-Great parts guy I know
      Just redid my dash cluster- repaint and fixed voltage regulator.Matched it to the steering wheel- antique white(fixed the cracks with epoxy putty)
      Body parts are relatively easy to find.I'd say it's mostly the 327 parts that are a challenge.I'm buying parts I find now for the future.Keep ahead of it
      Good luck!!!!!!

Comment

• 44BZ
        304 AMC
        • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by Stumplake
        I'd say it's mostly the 327 parts that are a challenge.I'm buying parts I find now for the future.Keep ahead of it
        Good luck!!!!!!
        Agreed. Water pumps are harder to find, as well as, the mechanical fuel pumps. The starter is non-existent new. Rocker assemblies and cam shafts are rare or unobtainable. I've been stashing away 327 parts as well. I managed to find an NOS harmonic balancer and exhaust manifolds. Oregon Cam Grinding still has a stash of core camshafts so I had them do an RV grind for me, which I still need to install. Definitely smart to squirrel away any 327 parts you com across.
        Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• FSJunkie
          The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
          • Jan 09, 2011

I have two 327's in 1960s Ramblers (the 9.7:1 compression, 4bbl carb versions), so I stash away parts for them too. It's really not too bad if you know where to look.

Fuel pumps and water pumps suck. Galvin's AMC Rambler Parts in Lodi, California has them on a core exchange basis. Their cost isn't awful, but you better have a core, because the core charge if you don't will kill you! I went ahead and paid the core charge to have a spare fuel pump on hand. I always like having a spare fuel pump in the trunk, especially because I sometimes drive my 327's on 1000+ mile road trips across the country. I'd hate to fry a fuel pump in the Oklahoma panhandle and not have a spare.

The rocker arms last a long time. What usually kills them is lack of maintenence and age caused the rocker arm shafts plugging with sludge and no longer oiling the rockers. Clean those shafts out and they will last a long time. A good machine shop can resurface the rocker tips if needed. But yes, finding rocker arms sucks.

Not having performance cams doesn't bother me. I keep my engines stock, so I don't care.

I rebuild the starters myself and do a better job than China sweatshops anyway. It's the same basic starter that just about every GM car ever used, so parts like brushes, bushings, and bendix drives are usually in stock at O'Reilly.

I love the 327. It is my favorite AMC V8. My Marlin sure s*#ts and gets with its 327. The T-10 4-speed, 3.54 twin grip axle, and dual exhaust help.
          '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Tanker
            350 Buick
            • Jan 04, 2005

Shipper We are about an 1.5 hours give or take from Johnson City Exit 9 NC. We have a few 74 to 64 mix out there. Weather permitting you can take a walk about in the yard. About 2 or 3 327 motors out there. Not alot badges out there either.
            Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
            Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

I?m just north of tricities in VA near Weber City for now. (Recuperating from poison still)
              Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
              X