• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan Stewart
    258 I6
    • Aug 11, 2002

TFI and HEI module question

Since i have been scrambling my brain most of the day reading up on TFI and Hei stuff. I see that you can do the hybrid ignition by using a HEI module instead of a motor craft module.

What I am wondering.
    With my stock setup now (duraspark) can i just swap out the original module and wire in the HEI module and run the motorwith the stock distributer and coil? Then later on upgrade the coil and cap and wires?

Also how long could i run the TFI upgrade with 7mm wires? I just bought the set and would like to use them for a little bit so i can piece together the conversion but still run the wagoneer.
    Dan Stewart
    1958 Land Rover Series 1
    1991 Wrangler YJ
  • mimmp
    232 I6
    • Feb 01, 2008

Originally posted by Dan Stewart

What I am wondering.
    With my stock setup now (duraspark) can i just swap out the original module and wire in the HEI module and run the motorwith the stock distributer and coil? Then later on upgrade the coil and cap and wires?
    You can use the stock distributor. The hei module and the coil must both be 12V, so you have to upgrade the coil and rewire to bypass the stock resistance wire.
    FWIW, YMMV, EIEIO
    '87 Grand Wagoneer, '73 Commando

C.S.

Comment

• Dan Stewart
      258 I6
      • Aug 11, 2002

OK. So if i use my stock plug wires, i would have to use a 12v can coil, the HEI and E-coil require a female plug to go on them.

Boy it gets confusing trying to decide which to use.

Thanks for the help.
      Dan Stewart
      1958 Land Rover Series 1
      1991 Wrangler YJ

Comment

• cmelo
        258 I6
        • Feb 08, 2008

You cannot use stock plug wires the cap wires are different and the connection to the coil is completely different.
        79' J10 360/T18/D20- Locked & bobbed on 35s

Comment

• Dan Stewart
          258 I6
          • Aug 11, 2002

Originally posted by cmelo
          You cannot use stock plug wires the cap wires are different and the connection to the coil is completely different.
          Yup, i was meaning using the stock style can coil with the stock wires for now. When i upgrade to TFI i will have to repalce the wires.

Thanks
          Dan Stewart
          1958 Land Rover Series 1
          1991 Wrangler YJ

Comment

• yankeedog
            304 AMC
            • Mar 14, 2007

yup you can do that.just make sure to mount the gm chip on a heat sink.no reason why you cant leave all else stock.
            Last edited by yankeedog; 07-11-2009, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Dan Stewart
              258 I6
              • Aug 11, 2002

Thanks!!!
              Dan Stewart
              1958 Land Rover Series 1
              1991 Wrangler YJ

Comment

• yankeedog
                304 AMC
                • Mar 14, 2007

clip the plugs off an old ford style module. you are going to need three 1/4 inch female push on connectors and one 3/16 (possibly 1/8)crimp or solder them onto the appropriate wires. this way you can swap back and forth for whatever you want.you can even do a chrysler module if you want.just as reliable.maybe a couple sheckles more, but it will have a heat sink built in.you will need to get the correct connector for that one tho.as is peculiar to chrysler products.

Comment

Working...
                X