• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grand_wag_85
    Murphy's Law Poster Child
    • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by freeincolorado
    Some day Prudhoe Bay and some day sooner Mt. Baldy
    Mt. Baldy in Summit County or is there another?
    You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
    '88 GW
    '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

I've been up Mt.Evans a few times. First time was with the B250 van and a trailer on back with 2 motorcycles. We had no idea what we were in for. I took Frank up there a couple of years ago on the way to Ouray.
      I would like to get my Jeep up there one day. Actually I'd like to get it out of KY one day.
      I'd love to do an Alcan Highway run some year.
      Tom Gibson
      1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
      1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
      1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
      2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• freeincolorado
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 27, 2009

Originally posted by grand_wag_85
        Mt. Baldy in Summit County or is there another?
        Not sure where Mt. Baldy in Summit County is but, the one I was speaking of is in El Paso County near Pikes Peak. It is the next highest peak at 13000 something. The road that ascends it is off of Old Gold Camp road. That may not be its official name but that is what we have always called it.
        Tom
        1989 Grand Wagoneer:
        One problem a time.

I aim to misbehave.

Comment

• draglink
          350 Buick
          • Aug 17, 2008

"How high have you been?"----must have been really high to even buy this GW!!
          '86 GW 6" Rustys, 1 1/2" BJs shackles, 33 BFGs

Comment

• gallego156
            232 I6
            • Jul 10, 2009

Hi guys, talking about height,here is a link to "Viajeros",a site that belongs to Eduardo Cinícola, he writes in Patagonia 4x4 too (Patagonia 4x4 is linked in our site).
            This expedition was to Monte Pissis (An inactive volcano) in the Argentine Catamarqueño/Riojana Puna. They went to investigate some kind of holes seen in Google Earth.
            If you don´t speak spanish, only the photos are worth the site visit, they talk by themselves.
            The box you see over the roof of the black Cherokee, behind the rack, is an additional gas tank, plus a couple of cans. The cilinder in the back of the toyota is oxigen, (over 1.500 ft some people suffer the effects of oxigen scarcity). They spent about 4 days over 4000mts (1.200ft), and reached 5.400mts (1.620ft) at the Monte Pissis North Glaciar, as you´ll see on some pics.
            I hope you enjoy it.

The whole article, is divided into days, When you reach the end of the First day (día 1), click the "sigue acá..." inscription, at the bottom of the page, that takes you to the second day and so
            El Galle.
            http://www.clubjeepgladiator.com.ar

Comment

• KyooMac
              258 I6
              • Oct 26, 2006

Originally posted by gallego156
              If you don´t speak spanish, only the photos are worth the site visit, they talk by themselves.
              Que?

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

Those are some great pics..
                Tom Gibson
                1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
                1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
                1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
                2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• AKAMC
                  327 Rambler
                  • Sep 23, 2006

I make a trip from Fairbanks to prudhoe bay every month. In fact I'm posting this from pump station 4 north of Atigun pass. Just drove over it a few hours ago at 4700 ft. Highest pass in Alaska I beleave. I'll be in prudhoe by Thursday. All this is in a company truck though. My waggy hasn't been north of Fairbanks..... Yet! I'll post up pics of it at the Yukon and arctic circle when I make the trip.

As a kid I climbed all the major peaks in Oregon. Not sure how high though.
                  06 Rubicon Wifes toy
                  84 CJ8
                  66 Amphicar Yea it's a boat too!
                  08 German Sheperd
                  03 Golden Retriever
                  06 Golden Retriever
                  19XX Sexy Red Head loaded with all the options!

ALASKA... "Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species"

Comment

• gallego156
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 10, 2009

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by gallego156

Que?

Hola KyooMac, por lo que veo sabés español, perdón si no supe expresarme, lo que quise decir es: para el que no sepa español, solo el ver las fotos justifica visitar el sitio del link
                    El Galle.

Comment

• AKAMC
                      327 Rambler
                      • Sep 23, 2006

Me no habalo espaniola.... Does that site go into any explanation for teh circular pits seen in google earth that sent them out there? My dad is a retired geologest and were both wondering about it...
                      Originally posted by gallego156
                      Hi guys, talking about height,here is a link to "Viajeros",a site that belongs to Eduardo Cinícola, he writes in Patagonia 4x4 too (Patagonia 4x4 is linked in our site).
                      This expedition was to Monte Pissis (An inactive volcano) in the Argentine Catamarqueño/Riojana Puna. They went to investigate some kind of holes seen in Google Earth.
                      The box you see over the roof of the black Cherokee, behind the rack, is an additional gas tank, plus a couple of cans. The cilinder in the back of the toyota is oxigen, (over 1.500 ft some people suffer the effects of oxigen scarcity). They spent about 4 days over 4000mts (1.200ft), and reached 5.400mts (1.620ft) at the Monte Pissis North Glaciar, as you´ll see on some pics.
                      I hope you enjoy it.

The whole article, is divided into days, When you reach the end of the First day (día 1), click the "sigue acá..." inscription, at the bottom of the page, that takes you to the second day and so
                      06 Rubicon Wifes toy
                      84 CJ8
                      66 Amphicar Yea it's a boat too!
                      08 German Sheperd
                      03 Golden Retriever
                      06 Golden Retriever
                      19XX Sexy Red Head loaded with all the options!

ALASKA... "Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species"

Comment

• Mikel
                        • Aug 09, 2000

Ooops... Should have read the whole thing.
                        1969 M715 6x6
                        1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• gallego156
                          232 I6
                          • Jul 10, 2009

Hi AKMC:
                          This people had different opinions before the expedition, some of them thought the holes cuold be ceremonial centers of altitude, because there was water in the "neighbourhood" (vital for human life). Inca civilizacion used to build them.
                          The other thought could be Dolinas geological formations(I don´t know the name in English, your Dad must know), Dolinas are, (This is my limited knowledge), some kind of holes produced by subterranean water that erosionates calcarean floors from under, till it collapses and appears a cone shaped hole, sometimes with water inside.
                          When they arrived didn´t find signs of Inca civilizacion in the surroundings and the holes, which seemed to be natural, not created by men hands, are these:

By gallego651 at 2009-08-16

In this one, you can see it must have contained water inside probably of rain, and evaporated in that moment.

Anyway, in their way to the holes, they found some human signs, remains of height buildings:

confirmed with traces of what they identified as Ancient ceramic.

I´m not a professional translator, and my English isn´t the best, anyway I hope it had been helpfull for you and you dear Dad.
                          It´s a pleasure to find people interested in something you post.
                          El Galle.

Comment

• suzq044
                            304 AMC
                            • Dec 23, 2008

probably not that high.. at least above the clouds- but not in Levi yet. but here anyways; San Diego, looking over Tijuana
                            Max²: 1964 Jeep Panel Wagoneer
                            Planning Stages

2018 Wagoneer Rendering if you're interested.

Comment

• Sbonley
                              327 Rambler
                              • Dec 16, 2002

Drove my first '79 Cherokee up Sandia in New Mexico 12,000 and some change. Both times with a Hot Air Balloon system loaded on and into the back (about 600 extra pounds, not including the 4 people). My current '79 hasn't left north central Texas, so the max for it so far is about 1000 feet.
                              \'79 Cherokee Golden Eagle<br />Mostly Stock (for the moment)

Comment

• Desert Rat
                                327 Rambler
                                • May 21, 2003

I drove a 2wd Chevy S10 up on Mt. Evans. That's 14,200, but the road is paved.

Here's as high as the Frontier has been:

www.nissan4wheelers.com - we're the guys using up all the spare driver drop waggy axles!

Comment

Working...
                                X