• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Golden Eagle
    232 I6
    • Sep 24, 2010

Electrical/Starter Issues

Its a 1979 J-10 with a 360 automatic.

The situation is complicated, so I apologize for all the details, but here it is:

I ran the truck about 30 minutes before this happened and got it up to temp. It was running very smoothly at the time. I turned the truck off and worked on a couple non-related things, then went back to restart the truck.

When I started the truck 30 minutes later, I did not realize the accelerator pedal had caught on the floor mat and was at about 90% throttle. The truck immediately caught and revved very high for about 3-5 seconds before I could turn it off. It turned off seemingly normally (i.e. no loud bang, smoke, etc.) I immediately tried to restart and is just clicked like the battery was dead. I hooked it up to jumper cables and it made a loud grinding/clunking/banging noise and would not start. The noise was much louder and more violent than a normal clack of a starter with a low battery. After a few grinding/clunking/clacking attempts, it again just clicked. At this point I was certain I'd either catastrophically damaged the engine, or the starter was malfunctioning. I took the battery out and hooked it up to a charger for a couple hours. After charging, I measured the voltage on the battery to be 13.8 volts. I reinstalled the battery and got only a click. I tapped the starter with a hammer a few times and still just got a click. I have not had the starter tested.

The battery is only about a year old and has hardly been used at all. I have not yet had it tested. I did recently replace the alternator because it was draining the battery and I suspect that I still have some electrical drains on the battery that I need to chase down. So the battery has been on and off the charger several times over the past month because it seems to always be dead (I only get to work on the truck on the weekends, so it has a full week to discharge).

Why would the battery, that was sufficiently charged, and had successfully started the engine seconds before (the throttle surge event), not be able to even turn the engine over seconds later? Would the engine surge event cause a rapid battery discharge?

Thanks.
    1979 J10 360 TH400 QT
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Try rotate engine by hand w/ socket on crank bolt?
    It should turn fairly evenly...

Best case scenario the starter was killed from excessive rpm.
    A bad starter can draw massive amps and drain a battery quickly.
    Pull it and using jumper cables see if it spins up ok.
    Be careful they can jump around a little.

Worst case scenario you lost a bearing due to oil starvation/high rpm.
    Sux but absolutely worst thing can do to an engine is what happened w/ stuck accelerator pedal on startup.
    Even if above isn’t it...bearings were starved and likely scarred/damaged.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Golden Eagle
      232 I6
      • Sep 24, 2010

I finally got time to pull the starter off and it is definitely trashed. See images below.

The more concerning thing is that I tried to spin the engine using the crank bolt and it just tightened down the bolt and didn't spin the engine. I was using an 18" breaker bar so I didn't lean on it too hard, but it definitely did not spin over as easily as I'd hoped. Short of dropping the oil pan and removing the rod/main caps, is there an easier way to confirm the engine is toast?

1979 J10 360 TH400 QT

Comment

• Golden Eagle
        232 I6
        • Sep 24, 2010

I installed the new starter and the truck fired right up and is running better than ever. I think I dodged a bullet this time around.
        1979 J10 360 TH400 QT

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
          Cherokee Outlaw
          • Jan 10, 2006

Just a warning. Where are the rest of the bits of your bendix (starter gear)? I had mine grenade like that...the chunks got caught between the bellhousing and torque converter when the engine started and caused this...
          -Jonny B.
          1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
          7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
          AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
          NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
          F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
          R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
          1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
          1979 Wagoneer - Sold
          1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• Golden Eagle
            232 I6
            • Sep 24, 2010

A very valid concern. Most (hopefully all) of the bendix gear pieces were either still attached or down behind the starter shaft in the cone of the starter. I did my best to inspect and clean out around the flywheel, but eventually I just said a prayer and fired it up. No catastrophic results yet...
            1979 J10 360 TH400 QT

Comment

Working...
            X