• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waggin_around
    230 Tornado
    • Jun 27, 2019

Wheel specs for a 1980 with 4 inch lift

New new tires since the tread is coming off in chunks. Want to get new wheels too. What wheel size is needed for the front to clear the extended wheel hubs? Is there aftermarket hub covers that match if I get black wheels?
    1980 wagoneer shows 38000 miles
    Electric fuel pump
    3 inch lift
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

I don't understand the question?
    The hubs don't have a lot to do with wheel selection other than the center opening needs to be large enough.

If you want fatter tires then wider wheels should be used but aren't mandatory.
    Tire size plays an important factor in wheel selection.

Lots of info if you search on tires/wheels. Use google or bing and specify to search site:ifsja.org and it'll bring up tons of threads.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• waggin_around
      230 Tornado
      • Jun 27, 2019

I
      Electric fuel pump
      3 inch lift

Comment

• waggin_around
        230 Tornado
        • Jun 27, 2019

staying with stock rims

I think we are staying with the stock rims for now.

Purchased a Rough Country 3" lift with new front and rear springs.

Can I fit a 31 inch tire x 10.5 wide on stock rims safely? And will it rub leafspring when turning? Should I stick with 30 x 9.5 tire since stock rims?

And what about power loss. A 31" tire is 9.5% bigger than stock, that is quite a bit of gearing change.. Maybe another reason to get 30 inch tires instead? But I don't want them to look too small with the 3 inch lift..

thanks for any input.
        Electric fuel pump
        3 inch lift

Comment

• rws31
          258 I6
          • Dec 10, 2016

Almost all tires have a spec for "recommended" rim width. Simply look at the spec for the tire and see. I doubt a 31" tire will be out of "spec" for your stock rims and even if it close it won't hurt a thing.

I don't think a 31" tire will rub on the springs. I used to run 31's on my 82 and never had a rubbing issue. If you want to check and see, get the OD of your current tires and see how much room you have between the springs and tires when turned all the way. But don't forget you only gain 2" of radius on a 4" taller diameter tire.

As far as power goes, if you don't plan on any heavy hauling you'll be fine.
          89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
          1988 Ramcharger
          1999 International 4700 Crew Cab 4X4, custom step side bed
          2003 Durango 4x4
          1982 CJ7 4 banger
          2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• TxJPs
            230 Tornado
            • Feb 01, 2020

Tires

I have the stock 7inch wide wheels and have been researching this because i want to go 33s. I believe 31s are not a problem but when going to 33s it really gets to be a small tire choice but i have found a few. Evem a couple 35s. As far as rubbing i think your fine but it really depends on if your doing full flexing. I think i need a 3 inch lift to flext all the way and fit tires.
            85 CJ T5 4.0 Dana 300 and jeep air
            1979 j10 project to do 5.3 t18
            2012 jku elockers 35s and 4.88 gears
            2003 ram 2500 4x4

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
              350 Buick
              • Jul 09, 2009

With only 3" lift use a 31" tire on your factory rims.
              A lot of us do that EXACT thing and it is just fine.

What do you plan to do with the Jeep?
              That should be your first concern. Is it mainly going to be a street everyday driver?
              Or is it going to be an offroad only Jeep?

Adding tire size adds unsprung wheel weight, which affects your brakes, and everything else in the front end.
              Once that happens, plan on doing more modifications to your front end, and lots more expense.
              (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

Working...
              X