• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • e_digg
    258 I6
    • Oct 26, 2009

Exhaust Manifold Bolts

I have a 91 360 with stock headers. I am looking for the exhaust manifold bolts and I understand they are different sizes but the 3/8" inch bolt seems very small in the manifold hole itself. The 5/16" bolts fill the space. What am I missing? See pic to get a better understanding.

1991 Grand Wagoneer
    My 91 Phoenix Build Thread
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

not missing anything...
    for whatever reason they used 2 different sizes.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• FSJunkie
      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
      • Jan 09, 2011

Why would you say a 3/8" bolt is too small and a 5/16" bolt fills the space better? That makes no sense. 3/8" is larger than 5/16"! I think you have the two sizes confused.

The space around the bolt allows for thermal expansion of the exhaust manifold. Big chunks of cast iron expand quite a bit when they get as hot as exhaust manifolds do, and the manifolds would crack if they were not allowed to shift and "creep" around the bolts as they expand and contract. The bolt holes in the center of the manifolds are smaller because they are there to hold the center of the manifold in place while the far ends of the manifolds expand and contract. That is why the bolt holes out at the far ends are larger than the bolt holes in the center.

You see this even more on big long inline sixes and inline eights.
      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• e_digg
        258 I6
        • Oct 26, 2009

Originally posted by FSJunkie
        Why would you say a 3/8" bolt is too small and a 5/16" bolt fills the space better? That makes no sense. 3/8" is larger than 5/16"! I think you have the two sizes confused.

The space around the bolt allows for thermal expansion of the exhaust manifold. Big chunks of cast iron expand quite a bit when they get as hot as exhaust manifolds do, and the manifolds would crack if they were not allowed to shift and "creep" around the bolts as they expand and contract. The bolt holes in the center of the manifolds are smaller because they are there to hold the center of the manifold in place while the far ends of the manifolds expand and contract. That is why the bolt holes out at the far ends are larger than the bolt holes in the center.

You see this even more on big long inline sixes and inline eights.
        The end or outer ports bolt holes are 5/16" but the hole in the manifold that the bolt goes through is more than 1/2". The inner ports are 3/8" and the holes in the header are about 1/16" bigger in diameter. I am thinking that I need to try and find something like this to make it work (less spring of course).
        1991 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

do whatever you wish but normal bolts work just fine.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
            350 Buick
            • Jul 09, 2009

Originally posted by babywag

Yeap!
            (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• gopher_6_9
              232 I6
              • Aug 22, 2012

Originally posted by babywag
              This.

They seal fine if your manifolds are true.
              1983 Cherokee W/T

Comment

• Bob Barry
                Jeep Doctor
                • Apr 09, 2000

That clearance is to accommodate the expansion/contraction of the cast-iron manifold. You need a strong washer under the head of the bolt to put appropriate clamping-force on the manifold.
                1987 J-20
                Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• nograin
                  304 AMC
                  • Dec 19, 2000

See if you can find a set of original bolts. Might be the same as used on other AMC engines. The tip of the bolts is hollow. That detail apparently was worth the expense to insure the bolts maintained proper tension in threads.

Exhaust-Manifold-Bolts-3527
                  '85 Grand Wagoneer
                  360 727auto, NP229
                  body by beer (PO)
                  carries wood inside
                  no "wood" outside
                  My other car is a fish

Comment

• Bob Barry
                    Jeep Doctor
                    • Apr 09, 2000

Originally posted by nograin
                    See if you can find a set of original bolts. Might be the same as used on other AMC engines. The tip of the bolts is hollow. That detail apparently was worth the expense to insure the bolts maintained proper tension in threads.

Exhaust-Manifold-Bolts-3527
                    Chrysler did NOT think it critical enough for the 5/16" bolts that they sold over the counter in 1998 to be hollow, though (the 3/8" replacements were still hollow).

I think the main usefulness of the drilled-centers on the bolts is to give you a nice pilot-hole for an EZ-out to remove them when they break off in the heads...
                    1987 J-20

Comment

• nograin
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 19, 2000

Originally posted by Bob Barry
                      Chrysler did NOT think it critical enough for the 5/16" bolts that they sold over the counter in 1998 to be hollow, though (the 3/8" replacements were still hollow).

I think the main usefulness of the drilled-centers on the bolts is to give you a nice pilot-hole for an EZ-out to remove them when they break off in the heads...

Chrysler probably couldn't care less about the AMC engines in '98.

Seriously, I thought I had a couple web links about the history and reasons AMC went this route for those bolts.
                      Can't find them right now.

edit: Well here's a few.
                      I found the tech bulletin on the manifold bolts with holes - they were put in roughly about 1971 or...

http://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73710&PID=666875&title=390-exhaust-manifold-bolts#666875

If the information is correct:
                      Maybe as early as 1969 AMC started using these bolts, and was a service replacement very early in the 70s.
                      Made by Rockford and at least some have special head markings (I'll have to look at mine again)
                      Grade 5, Zinc Plated and "waxed", 3/8-16, Class 3 thread, drilled thread end so they wouldn't loosen.
                      Use with a thick strong washerunder the head .
                      Last edited by nograin; 02-10-2020, 03:03 PM.
                      '85 Grand Wagoneer
                      360 727auto, NP229
                      body by beer (PO)
                      carries wood inside
                      no "wood" outside
                      My other car is a fish

Comment

• e_digg
                        258 I6
                        • Oct 26, 2009

Originally posted by Bob Barry
                        That clearance is to accommodate the expansion/contraction of the cast-iron manifold. You need a strong washer under the head of the bolt to put appropriate clamping-force on the manifold.
                        NO! There is an extra 1/4" gap on the outer ports and that cannot be for expansion. Waaaay too much! You are correct on that with the inner bolts and there is minimal clearance there.
                        1991 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Bob Barry
                          Jeep Doctor
                          • Apr 09, 2000

Originally posted by e_digg
                          NO! There is an extra 1/4" gap on the outer ports and that cannot be for expansion. Waaaay too much! You are correct on that with the inner bolts and there is minimal clearance there.
                          Well, the outer ports used a 3/8" bolt up until '78, and the passenger-side manifold design remained the same. Perhaps when they switched to the 5/16" outer bolts in '79, they did not change the exhaust-manifold blueprints for correspondingly-smaller holes on the outer ports, or perhaps your manifolds came off an earlier truck?
                          1987 J-20

Comment

• FSJunkie
                            The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                            • Jan 09, 2011

It worked fine from the factory. Just put it together the way the factory did and it'll work fine. Problem solved.
                            '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• e_digg
                              258 I6
                              • Oct 26, 2009

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to go and get some grade 8 bolts and use those.
                              1991 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                              X