Loose steering column? (At tilt adjustment)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marc_01
    327 Rambler
    • May 10, 2000

Loose steering column? (At tilt adjustment)

On my steering column where the tilt adjustment pivots, it is extremely sloppy. No matter what position I set the tilt at it's the same.

I haven't broken it down to see what was up. Is there a little u-joint in there or what?
    87 GW & it\'s brown
  • gsmikie
    Auto Trannie God
    • Feb 18, 2001

[ October 30, 2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: gsmikie ]
    I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• Marc_01
      327 Rambler
      • May 10, 2000

I wasn't aware this was common problem, but I see it is:

87 GW & it\'s brown

Comment

• jeepguzzi
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Oct 21, 2000

The neat thing is that once you put a bit of loctite on there, you never have to do it again. I did mine over ten years ago.
        79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl

Comment

• gsmikie
          Auto Trannie God
          • Feb 18, 2001

you need to take the wheel off then the lock plate then the turn signal switch the ign switch then the bolts that hold the bowl on then the pivot pins then there are 4 bolts that hold the lower bowl on you need to remove them and apply lock tight (red) and reinstall them and replace all the other stuff
          I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• Marc_01
            327 Rambler
            • May 10, 2000

Nice, thanks guys. I was hoping it was something that came loose and not some rare steering part i would have to search the yards for.
            87 GW & it\'s brown

Comment

• Marvin Gates
              304 AMC
              • Oct 22, 2001

Here is a step by step with pictures to help you.http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html
              This is very helpful. [img]smile.gif[/img]
              Regards Marv
              #1881 just for the record.
              FSJeepless for a short time.
              Need a J10 tho.

Comment

Working...
              X