Another story of AMAZING customer support (not an FSJ company though)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Another story of AMAZING customer support (not an FSJ company though)

Back in the mid 90's, when I was in the Navy, I bought a Gerber multi-tool. I used it several times, every day on my ship. I considered it absolutely essential to do my job. I got out in 2001, got a (mostly) desk job, and my Gerber went into my gun kit for use there.

Over the last almost 20 years I have used the flat head screw driver pieces on that Gerber to pry on things and have broken the corners off all 3 of the flat head screw driver parts. Last week I sent an email to Gerber that said
    Originally posted by rang-a-stang
    Hello Gerber,
    I have one of your multi-tools I bought back in the mid 90’s. I really like it but have broken 3 of the tools on it [I attached a picture]. Honestly, I broke them using them to pry on stuff when I should not have so I don’t consider this a warranty claim since it was being used incorrectly. I do not consider this tool sentimental so if it is not cost effective to repair it, I will probably just get a new one.

How much would it cost for me to send this up to you guys for you to replace the broken tools, sharpen the knife, and send back to me?

V/R
    Marc
    There was a couple back and forths between us (send is a picture of the whole tool so we can see what model it is, I sent them pictures, etc.). Their final response today was:
    Originally posted by Gerber parent company Fiskars customer service
    Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for contacting Gerber. I would be happy to send a replacement under warranty. Please send me your address to complete your claim.

Thank you for contacting Gerber
    That is AMAZING to me! Not only did they not ask for my old one back, which I would have gladly sent them, but they did not ask for shipping cost, did not ask for replacement cost, nothing! They just asked for my address! I expected to pay about $30 for them to replace the broken screw drivers and sharpen my knife. I am SOOoooooo happy about this!

Passing this along hoping they get a little more business!
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • SOLSAKS
    304 AMC
    • Jul 25, 2016

10-4
    glad you got good service
    you deserve it

dave in NC
    SOLSAKS - dave
    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
    1982 J-10 Fleetside
    1988 grand wagoneer
    2004 RUBICON jeep
    Benson, NC

Comment

• Tripwire
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jul 30, 2000

I have received the same service from leather man....on a side note i never quite liked the Gerber style as they tended to pinch your hand when cutting wires, but YES both have great customer service
      Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Kudos to Gerber on a 20 year old tool and kudo's to you Rang for being honest with them about the abuse.
        Well done!
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Ristow
          • Jan 20, 2006

Zippo was always similar to me.
          Originally posted by Hankrod
          Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 18, 2003

I have had a older broken multi tool I broke many years ago. Same as you, I contacted them about repair. I sent it in and received a brand new one in return.
            79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
            Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
            93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• Bob Barry
              Jeep Doctor
              • Apr 09, 2000

That $35 cost to replace your tool is probably far more effective advertising than million-dollar Superbowl ads.
              1987 J-20
              Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

Working...
              X